Need to gain weight but not sure how to start - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By jessandreia
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Smile Need to gain weight but not sure how to start

Hello veggies! I've a new vegetarian (been a month now) and I've been trying to gain weight for the past few years but have been very unsuccessful. I'm currently 20F, 5"1', and weigh 90 lb. I really want to up my weight to ~110 lb.

I'm using myfitness pal (app) to track my food intake and it says I need 83 g of protein per day! That seems like a lot and I'm not sure how to reach that. In my everyday diet I can reach my normal amount of protein I need (33.3 g of protein) but 83 g seems like a huge difference. What can I eat that has a lotttt of protein in it? The only thing I can think of that will help me reach my protein goal per day is protein shakes which I'm not a fan of.

Any tips? What can I eat to rise my current protein intake by 2.5x?

Thanks!

Last edited by bubbles00; 07-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

You need to eat more calories to gain weight. Not only more protein. Simply eat more.

What are you eating? 33 grams of protein is quite a bit low. Either you're eating almost no foods high in protein, or you're eating a low amount of calories which would explain your struggle to gain weight.

Protein sources: Beans (black beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, etc), tofu, lentils, split peas, pasta has about 10 grams per serving too, even though most people don't think of it as a protein source, nuts (high in calories and decent amount of protein). Just to mention some.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 07-13-2017 at 02:14 PM.
#3 Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a quick meal I make weekly that's high in protein: Sauteed onion in a little olive oil, 500+ ml can of chickpeas, and some pieces of tofu, and add whatever seasonings you like. Easily about 30 grams of protein in that meal alone.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 07-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great advice, I second all of that. I've found that when I eat nuts I tend to put on weight. Try and eat quite a lot of nuts. If you eat walnuts and almonds you are getting the omega 3 and calcium which can be low on a vegan diet.

Try and eat less salads/fruit/veg, which take ages to munch through the calories, and more rice/pasta/bread type filling foods, which have more concentrated energy. Add some beans.

Also, just try and eat larger portions and more snacks. I tend to agree that the total quantity of food is more important than the specific types of foods in weight control.
#5 Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 PM

Because you are so small, all you really need is about 34 grams of protein.
Most of those protein calculators (and just about everyone else, too) overestimate protein requirements.
The RDA for someone your size is about 40 grams of protein. but since you want to gain weight you might want to make your goal 50. or even 60 if you exercise a lot.
The protein calculator I use is the one Michael Bluejay has in his article about protein.

You said you weren't a fan of protein shakes - I'm going to assume that you mean the store bought ones. I start most of my days with what I call my breakfast smoothie.
Here is my recipe. one cup soy milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter, one banana, 1 tbsp ground flax seed. Optional: cocoa, 2 tbsp oatmeal.
About 500 calories and almost 20 grams of protein.
If you check out Pinterest for vegan breakfast smoothies you will see variations of this one.

One of my favorite things about this is you can make a whole blender full of these all in one shot. split them up in jars and tumblers (or shaker bottles if you have them) and you can keep them in the frig for a few days. Or the freezer till you need one.
#6 Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles00 View Post
Hello veggies! I've a new vegetarian (been a month now) and I've been trying to gain weight for the past few years but have been very unsuccessful. I'm currently 20F, 5"1', and weigh 90 lb. I really want to up my weight to ~110 lb.

I'm using myfitness pal (app) to track my food intake and it says I need 83 g of protein per day! That seems like a lot and I'm not sure how to reach that. In my everyday diet I can reach my normal amount of protein I need (33.3 g of protein) but 83 g seems like a huge difference. What can I eat that has a lotttt of protein in it? The only thing I can think of that will help me reach my protein goal per day is protein shakes which I'm not a fan of.

Any tips? What can I eat to rise my current protein intake by 2.5x?

Thanks!

The 83g protein recommendation is much higher than what is recommended by the American Council on Exercise (one of the largest certification agencies for personal trainers). The A.C.E. recommends consuming 1.2g to 1.7g of protein per kg of body weight for strength athletes, and consuming 1.2g to 1.4g of protein per kg of body weight for endurance athletes: https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5297...-actually-need

For a 90 lbs (41 kg) person, this recommendation translates to 49 - 70 grams of protein per day for strength athletes, or 49 - 57 grams of protein per day for endurance athletes.

The MyFitnessPal app recommends that people obtain 20% of their calories from protein. This is fine, but it's more than what is necessary. Here is the MyFitnessPal article about protein requirements: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/a-begin...de-to-protein/
Mr. H. and tooljunkie like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#7 Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Chocolate, sweets, crisps if they are veggie (I'm not sure) but just eat loads, have your three meals a day and eat inbetween them. Also, eat just before you go to bed at night! You will soon put weight on.
#8 Old 10-16-2017, 07:13 AM

Hi there,

What you're tryng to do isn't easy, but you need trust yourself ! I'm sure it gonna finally work out !
Try to eat a lot of protein and to do some sport ! Check Lafay Method on the web !

Cheers,

Tags
health gainer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page