VeggieBoards banner

What should my weight be?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Tayla Hindley 
#1 ·
I'm a 50 year old male, about 5-11 inches in height and with a weight of 194 pounds. According to the BMI index, I'd be considered overweight.

I'm just wondering, what would be my ideal weight?

Thank you for your time.

#4 ·
Hi Alex,

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has written this article regarding the limitations of the BMI model: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/risk.htm .

If you have a muscular build, then your ideal weight may be higher than someone with an average muscle/fat body composition.

If you are concerned about your risks of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, or type 2 diabetes, your physician can help you to estimate these risks.

Reactions: Spudulika
#7 ·
Hi there

What you're asking isn't easy to figure out, you need trust yourself !

Your ideal weight is the one who makes you feel good.

Regards,
Hi Luc,

I wish I could agree with you.

Unfortunately, just because a certain weight "feels right", that doesn't make it healthy.

Being either obese or underweight increases the risk of certain health problems.

According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, being obese may increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and strokes, certain types of cancer, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, fatty liver disease, kidney disease, and pregnancy problems: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/health-risks-overweight . Some of these problems are silent killers - you can feel healthy, yet still end up with life-threatening complications.

According to the UK National Health Service, being underweight can contribute to a weakened immune system, fragile bones, and feeling tired: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Underweightadults.aspx .

#8 ·
Hi,

Thank you for you answer, it makes me realise that my message could get misunderstood.

I couldn't agree more with you. But I think that someone with "a weakened immune system, fragile bones, and feeling tired" can not feel good.

All i was trying to say is that if you shouldn't be care about your weight because of social constructs.

Cheers,

#9 ·
Hi,

Thank you for you answer, it makes me realise that my message could get misunderstood.

I couldn't agree more with you. But I think that someone with "a weakened immune system, fragile bones, and feeling tired" can not feel good.

All i was trying to say is that if you shouldn't be care about your weight because of social constructs.

Cheers,
Hi Luc,

Agreed! Body-shaming is destructive.

Unfortunately, some people insist in claiming that they feel good, even if they are dangerously underweight. For those with anorexia, there can be a feeling of empowerment, which can lead that anorexic person to value their condition, despite its negative health consequences.

Reactions: Spudulika
#14 ·
Body Fat

Honestly, BMI is about the dumbest measure there is for judging if someone's overweight. It shows absolutely no consideration for muscle mass and build. You can get a body fat caliper for $5-10 bucks. So instead of worrying about BMI, purchase a caliper and measure your body fat percentage. Since this measurement tells you how much fat you have in your body, it's a much more accurate way of measuring if you're overweight. Results 20% and below are healthy. 21-29% is overweight. 30%+ is obese.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.