on the brink of giving up- seeking advice - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Unhappy on the brink of giving up- seeking advice

This is kind of desperate, but I am desperate, so here goes.

I am in full support of this movement and really want to be a part of it. Unfortunately I feel my digestive system/ health is prohibiting me from doing so and I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with this kind of problem.

The abdominal pain that plant protein seems to cause me at the quantity I choose to eat (due to exercise regime)/ the lack of sleep and poor performance that follows has almost driven me to give up.

I have spoken to professionals and experimented with more combinations of foods/ medications/ home remedies than I can count. Fermented vegetables, food combinations, food timing, raw apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes, minimizing ingredients, maximising ingredients, restricting fibre, increasing fibre, every protein isolate I can think of, no protein powder at all (just consuming larger amounts of the source ingredients like soy milk), exercise timing, common sense adjustments… The fact is, nothing has worked. I cannot face that pain every day and lead a life of any real quality.

This stems from some as of yet undiagnosed intolerance I have to plant food in general (closest we’ve got thus far is IBS, and I think possibly even some kind of mild allergy, but it could well be more serious because as I said none of the mainstream advice has worked, enzymes gave temporary relief of symptoms but body became tolerant eventually plus were very, very expensive).

Eating it at the quantities I would need to eat to repair from the exercise I do does not agree with me. The pain peaks at around 2am, keeping me awake for hours, which has a very real carryover to my performance the next day.

The stool it produces is sometimes constipation, sometimes diarrhoea, mostly both.

It gives me large amounts of bad smelling gas.

I feel very weak and nauseas while on this type of diet.

I can digest protein from poultry perfectly with no issue.

I am a 23 year old student. My free time is diminishing, full time employment is calling me and my family is too poor for me to able to focus on fixing this problem indefinitely. I do not have the money to keep trialling products and prescriptions. I am going to have to support myself financially soon and really starting to feel the pressure.

Really this is just a plea for someone to chime in who can in any way identify with this as of yet not-properly-diagnosed condition, to save me years of possible regret/ eating animal products.

I don’t plan to give up on this forever. When I’m financially stable I can look into it again with all my efforts, its just if I can cut out that waiting period I will, which is why I’m interested to hear of similar experiences/ possible solutions.

Many thanks,

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not had these kinds of digestive issues (at least as a vegan), so I can't share my own experience. But I am wondering, what was a typical day of food like when you were an omni? Did you not eat any fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, etc along with animal products? If you did, which ones? For example, as an omni, did you eat spaghetti? Oatmeal? Whole wheat toasts? Cashew nuts?

If you are an athlete of some sort, you might also find more help at Vegan Health And Fitness forum. Lots of successful vegan athletes there, and I am sure more than one of them has struggled with IBS issues.

Often those new to a plant based diet do struggle with gas, bloating, cramping for a while as their bodies adjust to a new way of eating. You might be one who needs to take small steps and make small changes over a long period of time instead of diving in head first.

I had to put on a lot of weight to get healthier some time ago, and found that it was easier when I could do stuff like nuts, peanut/nut butters, smoothies, tofu pudding, that sort of thing where quantity didn't have to be so huge. I hated the feeling of fullness so I would eat lots of small meals spaced throughout the day instead of three big ones. I still eat four small meals a day. Maybe you have already tried this, IDK. Just throwing out some ideas.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 PM
person

I agree with the 4 or 5 small meals a day.

I suppose you have tried an elimination diet - cutting out one food group at a time to see if things improve without it - like nightshades or wheat or nuts?

Have you had your copper levels checked ?

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

#4 Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Your symptoms may suggest coeliac disease/gluten intolerance, but it's tricky to diagnose, and healing may require few months of completely gluten-free diet. It often comes with milk intolerance also.

#5 Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Vegan since 1991

What is your target protein intake?

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 03-30-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page