Veganism and Weight Loss? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion

#1 Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 PM

Question Veganism and Weight Loss?

I know some people who are trying to lose weight and aren't very successful at it, despite their best efforts. I've heard that veganism can both increase and decrease weight loss - so which one is it?

Cheers,
Riuma

Copyright to Riuma. All rights reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends how many calories someone eats.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 PM

I tried many ways to lose weight throughout my nearly half century of existence, to no avail, but once I adopted the vegan lifestyle, I've since shed 110 lbs. and feel better than I thought was possible again. I do notice, however, when I tend to splurge on vegan junk foods, I put pounds back on and feel more run down. But so far, it's only been a 10 lb. fluctuation and comes back off when I make cleaner choices again. That's just one story though. I've read of folks gaining weight, too, but not sure exactly what they were eating. As with everything, everyone's mileage will vary.
David3 likes this.

#4 Old 12-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Beginner

I lost 25 lbs the past year ( from 255 lbs to 220 lbs) from just eating vegetarian and watching my calories.

I've now gone vegan, so I'm pretty sure my weight will drop even further. Goal is around 180 lbs. I know what works for me, so I am just keeping it up and a vegan diet is less calorie dense so I should be good

Watching your calories and exercising more is really the key, there's no magic formula, it's all a matter of determination and discipline.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#5 Old 12-10-2016, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems that it can go either way but on average it's more likely to lead to weight loss. A whole plant foods diet with veg and fruit inn large quantities and very small quantities of junk food is the best strategy if one wants to lose weight.

A whole plant foods vegan diet can be low in fat, and lower in calories per unit food, so can work for losing weight.

But weight loss or gain comes about due to other factors as well, what you drink (alchohol, soft drinks, water) as well as exercise.
#6 Old 12-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Vegan means you don't eat or use things that are made from animal products.
It doesn't indicate healthy, low fat, or low sugar, unprocessed or organic.
A whole foods plant based diet is the way to eat if your goal is health or weight loss. The two seem to have gotten pretty blended. I've read scathing reviews of vegan cookbooks criticized for using sugar and oils and such. They can be vegan

I lost weight when I first commited to be vegetarian, eating little cheese, and few desserts. By the time I went vegan I had a lot about replacements in baking, and had become quite diverse in the kitchen. I gained back the weight and more. I ate as I did as an omnivore without the animal parts

I'm now saying goodbye to white flours and added fats and sugars to lose about 25 pounds.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM

That's a great point, silva. Labels are meant to better distinguish and provide clarity, but they can often do just the opposite, especially when first starting out, as I painfully learned a few times.

On that note, I should also add that I was gifted the annotated and revised version of the Mucusless Diet Healing System at the beginning of my drastic dietary changes which taught me much more about the whole foods/plant based scene and led me to healthier choices, info about food combining, mucus forming foods, etc.

That was only one of many avenues I explored, though, including Dr. Morse, Dr. Sebi, the 80/10/10 scene, Dr. Esselstyn, etc. So many rabbit holes, so little time. It has taken a village to guide me to all the right spaces (or I should say spaces that just feel right), that's for sure. So incredibly grateful for each lesson and guide and the desire to stick with it.
#8 Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 AM

Hi Riuma,
It depends on calories taken in but most importantly the macro nutrient ratio in peoples' diets. Macro nutrients are nutrients measure in grams (fat, carbs, protein, etc). A good macro ratio for leaning out is 1:1 (drastic) or 1:2 Protein to Carbs ratio and minimize fats. Unfortunately, due to lack of nutrition knowledge and failure to read nutrition facts, most vegans are pretty much living on mostly carbs and fats. Their ratios look more like 1:10:5 Protein To Carbs to Fats when it should be 1:2:0 Protein to Carbs to Fats. Fat goes to fat. Carbs go to refill your muscle's glycogen levels and then spill over into fat storage. Protein CANNOT go to fat. It can only go to muscle maintenance/building or it is excreted as waste. This is why it is important on any diet, especially a vegan diet, to make sure you're getting enough calories through protein. It is more difficult to tailor your macros to high protein without all of the excess carbs, but it is do able. Good vegan food protein sources black beans, lentils, split peas, chick peas, etc. However, they still have a 1:2 or 1:3 Protein to Carbs ratio. Some imitation meats are good as well but you have to look at the nutrition facts to make sure they're not loaded with fat and also don't come from soy. To assist in really tailoring your macros to up the protein calories, you need a vegan protein powder shake. These make it quick, easy, and delicious to get your protein and also throw in fruits and veggies (for micro nutrients) in a smoothie. I would recommend Vega Sport or Real Pro Life Nutrition. They are definitely the 2 best vegan protein shakes on the market. I hope this helps!
#9 Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 PM

it depend first of all on metabolism
#10 Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 PM

I recently purchased a few vegan cookbooks and was quite surprised at how different they were regarding fat content. I am interested in losing weight and keeping my blood pressure low as I had a valve replacement last year. Anyways, I went on the search for recipes that were going to support that goal, and found a cookbook by Neal Barnard called "The Get Healthy Go Vegan Cookbook". I was pleased to see they fit the bill... Have you ever done the Weight Watchers program? There is a version of it called "Simply Filling", where you don't count points if you eat "core foods" and these recipes fit right into that. (Spoiler alert - hardly any fat and a lot of vegetables!)

Processed or prepared vegan foods can be very surprising. For example, Yves falafel balls are 5 points for just 3 of them. They aren't huge either, and I know that most people here probably never had to worry about weight watchers, but if you are following the simply filling program 5 points is huge for something like that. They don't sound like much if you read through the nutrition list, 160 cals for instance, but those 160 cals have 7 grams of fat. Since fat has 9 cals per gram you are looking at 63 of the 160 cals coming from fat or approximately 40%

So, if a person chooses to eat a lot of processed prepared vegan food (which includes junk food like potato chips, and also alcoholic beverages like beer, wine, or spirits) you could certainly gain a lot of weight. If you choose to eat low-fat plant based foods centering mostly on fruits and veggies, you will lose weight - or so I have read. Hopefully I can maintain this new way of eating and have some success

Rosalia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page