Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By BlackBoxed

#1 Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Bean Queen

Over a year vegan, clean eating, and no weight loss?

I went through the flexitarian stage a long while back. During that time I was eating mostly clean vegan with the occasional junk food and animal products in my diet. During that time, I lost 20lbs with no exercise. My caloric intake was roughly what it is now.

About year ago I went vegan. At first I ate a lot of processed foods and my weight would only flux the normal 3-5lbs which is relatively stable for a woman, I'd say.

With the last half year (since January) started eating what I think is very clean. I tend to keep my fat percentage under 13% when I cook at home and I maybe eat two or three meals of the week with oil. I've started walking daily to the market instead of only going twice a week and stocking up on groceries. I go to the pool every other day for laps and I'm about to start playing more sports outside and generally being more active thanks to summer.

All of this is wonderful, and I've learned not to rush weight loss. I'm perfectly content with 0.5-1lb a week but...

I'm somehow gaining weight and inches on my waist despite all of this and it really has me at a loss. As someone who is already obese I really don't think I'm mentally equipped to see myself get bigger, especially when I know I'm treating my body better than I ever have in my life (worth mention that I also quit smoking a year ago, too).

I'm just wondering if anyone has read any articles about vegan weight gain or anything that sounds like what I'm going through. And in case anyone asks, I'm 250lbs at 5'7, and eat 2,000 calories (roughly).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Ankle Biter

Most people gain a few pounds when they quit smoking. Smoking is a stimulant and can increase your metabolism while at the same time it tends to sedate your taste buds. So when you quit smoking, not only does your metabolism takes a hit but everything tastes much better, so it's hard not to gain weight. I know, I quit 16 years ago. And congratulations - quitting smoking is hard!

Here's what I would try - I'd cut out alcohol (empty calories), and then I'd make sure I was eating a high fiber, low-processed sugar diet. I'd increase my intake of vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes and watch my salt. If that doesn't help, perhaps a visit to your doc is warranted - to rule out thyroid or other issues.

Good luck!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Last edited by Poppy; 05-09-2016 at 11:41 AM.
#3 Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBoxed View Post
I went through the flexitarian stage a long while back. During that time I was eating mostly clean vegan with the occasional junk food and animal products in my diet. During that time, I lost 20lbs with no exercise. My caloric intake was roughly what it is now.

About year ago I went vegan. At first I ate a lot of processed foods and my weight would only flux the normal 3-5lbs which is relatively stable for a woman, I'd say.

With the last half year (since January) started eating what I think is very clean. I tend to keep my fat percentage under 13% when I cook at home and I maybe eat two or three meals of the week with oil. I've started walking daily to the market instead of only going twice a week and stocking up on groceries. I go to the pool every other day for laps and I'm about to start playing more sports outside and generally being more active thanks to summer.

All of this is wonderful, and I've learned not to rush weight loss. I'm perfectly content with 0.5-1lb a week but...

I'm somehow gaining weight and inches on my waist despite all of this and it really has me at a loss. As someone who is already obese I really don't think I'm mentally equipped to see myself get bigger, especially when I know I'm treating my body better than I ever have in my life (worth mention that I also quit smoking a year ago, too).

I'm just wondering if anyone has read any articles about vegan weight gain or anything that sounds like what I'm going through. And in case anyone asks, I'm 250lbs at 5'7, and eat 2,000 calories (roughly).

This sounds incredibly frustrating! It sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Have you thought about making an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in weight loss and vegetarian nutrition? They'll be able to provide very detailed instruction, and to help you find out why things aren't going as planned.

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the Dietitians of Canada: http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health...Dietitian.aspx
wildflowerliz likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

#4 Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Bean Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Most people gain a few pounds when they quit smoking. Smoking is a stimulant and can increase your metabolism while at the same time it tends to sedate your taste buds. So when you quit smoking, not only does your metabolism takes a hit but everything tastes much better, so it's hard not to gain weight. I know, I quit 16 years ago. And congratulations - quitting smoking is hard!

Here's what I would try - I'd cut out alcohol (empty calories), and then I'd make sure I was eating a high fiber, low-processed sugar diet. I'd increase my intake of vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes and watch my salt. If that doesn't help, perhaps a visit to your doc is warranted - to rule out thyroid or other issues.

Good luck!
I know that it doesn't help my metabolism, but what I meant was I lost weight when I first transitioned + quit smoking. Now that I'm eating 90% clean, whole foods I'm putting on weight. Rapidly. I don't drink alcohol more than twice a month and I don't eat processed sugar (I don't even buy sugar at all I use maple syrup IF i need to sweeten something). My salt is below 2,000mg ususally around 1,500mg.

I had my thyroid checked years ago and it was fine, I'm not sure if it would need to be checked again, but either way I'll just have to gain the weight I guess. I simply can't get to a doctor right now. :c

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
This sounds incredibly frustrating! It sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Have you thought about making an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in weight loss and vegetarian nutrition? They'll be able to provide very detailed instruction, and to help you find out why things aren't going as planned.

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the Dietitians of Canada: http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health...Dietitian.aspx
None of them have a focus on vegan or even vegetarian friendly diets in my area. But I gained three pounds since the time I posted. I really wish I could get to a doctor, but at this point in time it's just not possible for me.

8am: Woke up
9am: two oranges and 600ml water
11am: 700g potatoes baked no oil with seasonings and 600ml water
4pm: two bananas 300ml water
5pm: Pad thai made with tofu, bean sprouts, peanut butter, peanut butter powder and half the required soy sauce. Served over rice noodle. 1L water
8pm: the other half of the Pad Thai 300ml water
11pm: In bed

Calories: 1997 Fat: 22g Sodium: 1206mg Carbs: 405g Fiber: 41g Protein 62g Sugars: 61g
Protein: 12% Fat: 9.5% Carbs: 78.41%

There is no logical reason for me to have gained weight. I eat frequently, over long period of time, and usually never more than I burn.
#5 Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

None of them have a focus on vegan or even vegetarian friendly diets in my area. But I gained three pounds since the time I posted. I really wish I could get to a doctor, but at this point in time it's just not possible for me.

Even if your local Registered Dietitians do not have a vegetarian focus, they should still be able to analyze your diet with you, and to help you lose weight.

It's worrisome to hear that you're not able to see a doctor. Canada has socialized medicine, so this should be low-cost. Do you live far from the nearest doctor?

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

#6 Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Bean Queen

I think I was just making excuses to get out of going to a doctor since I've a terrible track record with them. It might wipe my account clean but I guess I'll make an appointment tomorrow.

Also, I'm not a resident of Canada, it's still expensive to get tested for things when you have no insurance. I wanted to wait until I gained insurance then get tested.
#7 Old 05-14-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Served over rice noodle.
Rice noodles are made from white rice. Below the neck, white rice and white flour are no different than refined sugar. I never touch anything that contains either of those. In fact, I don't even eat anything that contains whole wheat flour. But I do eat stuff that contains corn flour, such as polenta. Anyway, the allowance of white rice (and possibly white flour?) is the problem, imho.
#8 Old 05-14-2016, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula View Post
Rice noodles are made from white rice. Below the neck, white rice and white flour are no different than refined sugar. I never touch anything that contains either of those. In fact, I don't even eat anything that contains whole wheat flour. But I do eat stuff that contains corn flour, such as polenta. Anyway, the allowance of white rice (and possibly white flour?) is the problem, imho.
I eat white rice and white pasta all the time. I'm 5'7 and 120 something (haven't weighed myself in a long time, but still look more or less the same), so I don't think that's the problem.

OP: Maybe get a couple of dumbbells, and start some weight training, and see if it helps your case. Some people lose more weight doing weight training, or a combination of that and cardio, rather than only cardio alone.
LedBoots and PaperPinWheel like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#9 Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
What does "below the neck" mean?
#10 Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Any thoughts on alternating days calories? eating more one day, less the next?
I saw this on the news and it sounds both sensible, and easier then trying to stay within the same calorie intake every day. Appartantly it fends off the weight loss "plateu"

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/en...e-shifting.asp
#11 Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I saw this on the news and it sounds both sensible, and easier then trying to stay within the same calorie intake every day. Appartantly it fends off the weight loss "plateu"

I found 1 peer-reviewed study which compared a calorie-shifting diet to a calorie-restricting diet. Here is a summary of the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24829732 . Unfortunately, you have to pay to see the entire text of the study, so it's impossible to know how the 2 diets were structured. Unless you knew how this study's calorie-shifted diet was structured, it would be difficult to duplicate the study's results in your own body.

_________

Last edited by David3; 05-14-2016 at 12:26 PM.
#12 Old 05-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Bean Queen

Just an update, it seems that it was water weight spurred on by a very late period. At the very least I ruled out pregnancy (thankfully). There's still a lot of good advice for continuing with my weight loss, so thanks to you all!

Quote:
Pretty sure that isn't it. I've been eating rice several times a week for a year now, only recently had I started gaining weight. Previously, I've been maintaining very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I eat white rice and white pasta all the time. I'm 5'7 and 120 something (haven't weighed myself in a long time, but still look more or less the same), so I don't think that's the problem.

OP: Maybe get a couple of dumbbells, and start some weight training, and see if it helps your case. Some people lose more weight doing weight training, or a combination of that and cardio, rather than only cardio alone.
Even if it doesn't make me loose weight it's still probably a good idea. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I have heard about this, but the only 'zigzag' formula I had would give me 1800 calories then it would drop as low as 1100 calories. If I could find one that only had little dip it'd definitely give it ago. I'm just worried that it would encourage me to binge eat.
LedBoots likes this.
#13 Old 05-14-2016, 09:09 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Just an update, it seems that it was water weight spurred on by a very late period. At the very least I ruled out pregnancy (thankfully). There's still a lot of good advice for continuing with my weight loss, so thanks to you all!

Pretty sure that isn't it. I've been eating rice several times a week for a year now, only recently had I started gaining weight. Previously, I've been maintaining very well.

Even if it doesn't make me loose weight it's still probably a good idea. Thanks!

I have heard about this, but the only 'zigzag' formula I had would give me 1800 calories then it would drop as low as 1100 calories. If I could find one that only had little dip it'd definitely give it ago. I'm just worried that it would encourage me to binge eat.
If the weight gain was very sudden, it would probably have been caused by water weight. If it was under 15 lbs, it most certainly was caused by water weight. If you really want to go forward with weight loss, I recommend Sparkpeople as a weight tracker - they have a HUGE selection of foods in their catalogue, and they're the only site I know of that lets you input entire recipes and divide them by serving sizes to keep your calories tracked. Helped me a lot before I figured out my weight loss was a little TOO obsessive.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 07-11-2016, 06:36 AM

Reaching out

Don't know where you are at now - since I'm resonding over a month later - but I have trolled the internet myself - I was quite heavy before becoming vegan. Lost 30 lbs. Then gained 10 back. Couldn't believe this. Then I've struggled with losing the rest. Out of frustration I finally looked at the You Tube lectures from Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Doug Lisle, Dr. Klaper, etc. I finally decided to try SOS - which is no sugar, salt or oil. Also try eating unprocessed foods as much as possible. I have been amazed. I was stuck for over a year with no weight loss before but it's coming off now. I use vinegar or lemon/lime juice or balsamic to give a salty taste to foods and the sugar part is hard. I was already doing no oil - - I water saute instead. Not as tasty but your taste buds get used to it. The salt was making an enormous difference.
#15 Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 AM

It sounds like you are treating your body amazingly which is certainly not easy in this day and age. So, it is kind of perplexing that you are not slowly losing weight even with an excellent diet and exercise. The only thing I can think of is that it is not due to diet or exercise, but something else entirely. Your lack of weight loss could be due to stress or lack of sleep. But, I think it sounds like you could possibly have a metabolism problem due to a problem with your thyroid, so I strongly suggest you go to the doctor to potentially have that checked. Besides that, keep being consistent with your diet and exercise and keep your head up
#16 Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 AM

I'm sorry. That seems incredibly frustrating. Have you been counting your calories? I realized I was eating really healthy food, but too much of it and it was causing me to gain weight. When I started counting my calories my weight went back down. Also, are you being aware of your sugar or salt intake? I stopped eating sugar last month but have noticed when I eat an especially salty meal I bloat and gain weight. I hope one of these tricks works for you! I've been where you are and I know how frustrating it can be. Don't give up! I believe in you!
#17 Old 11-23-2016, 01:07 AM

I know there are now a lot of proponents for fasting diets these days. I guess that is a form of calorie reduction.
#18 Old 11-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by LentilEater View Post
I know there are now a lot of proponents for fasting diets these days. I guess that is a form of calorie reduction.

This is risky. No mainstream health or nutrition organization recommends fasting.

With a properly-planned diet, fasting is unnecessary.

_________

#19 Old 11-23-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I know that it doesn't help my metabolism, but what I meant was I lost weight when I first transitioned + quit smoking. Now that I'm eating 90% clean, whole foods I'm putting on weight. Rapidly. I don't drink alcohol more than twice a month and I don't eat processed sugar (I don't even buy sugar at all I use maple syrup IF i need to sweeten something). My salt is below 2,000mg ususally around 1,500mg.

I had my thyroid checked years ago and it was fine, I'm not sure if it would need to be checked again, but either way I'll just have to gain the weight I guess. I simply can't get to a doctor right now. :c

8am: Woke up
9am: two oranges and 600ml water
11am: 700g potatoes baked no oil with seasonings and 600ml water
4pm: two bananas 300ml water
5pm: Pad thai made with tofu, bean sprouts, peanut butter, peanut butter powder and half the required soy sauce. Served over rice noodle. 1L water
8pm: the other half of the Pad Thai 300ml water
11pm: In bed

Calories: 1997 Fat: 22g Sodium: 1206mg Carbs: 405g Fiber: 41g Protein 62g Sugars: 61g
Protein: 12% Fat: 9.5% Carbs: 78.41%

There is no logical reason for me to have gained weight. I eat frequently, over long period of time, and usually never more than I burn.
wondering how your progress is and if anything has changed?

Tags
weight loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page