Lose weight, finally? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

#1 Old 12-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Lose weight, finally?

Since i went on medication for my mental health 7 years ago, i put on weight. Its been a horrible road to go down, i never have eaten badly, my parents are healthy and i always likes 'good' food. I think the combination of starting uni and having alcohol a lot, with midnight drunken pizzas, hangover food...then with the meds, well it was a disaster. Plus its got continuously worse.

Now i feel im on a better path, since i began vegetarian diet (ok only 3 weeks haha) but i have turned down cake my housemate brought home, and eating out has been great because veggie stuff just seems healthier and lighter. Im enjoying looking for recipes and enjoying eating this way. Plus my water intake has increased a lot.

im not even stressing about protein! Usually i focus on it, meat meat meat...i know i dont want to eat meat ever again, but im not even worrying about my intake on a vegetarian diet. I think it may be because i know if i eat well and exercise, i will lose weight.

So next i want to slowly introduce exercise. I want to go on a short walk or bike ride each morning. Im trying to build slow and gentle, i think my problems in the past has been going full pelt ahead right at the beginning and failing and quitting.

Fingers crossed. any tips/advice/thoughts are very welcome.

Peace x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Beginner

I've lost about 30 pounds since going vegetarian. I still have a ways to go, but it's definitely helped me in that area. Good luck to you! Starting slow and steady is absolutely the way to go. Especially if you've been sedentary before, getting too active too quickly could even lead to injuries, which can set you back.
#3 Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Ankle Biter

It takes a while for new changes to become habits - so go easy on yourself, give yourself plenty of time, and allow for the occasional flub-up. Aim to fill up on veggies, choose whole grains, and limit (eliminate?) added sweetners. And don't allow booze to make food decisions!!! Good luck!
alexis88 likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

#4 Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
I've lost about 30 pounds since going vegetarian. I still have a ways to go, but it's definitely helped me in that area. Good luck to you! Starting slow and steady is absolutely the way to go. Especially if you've been sedentary before, getting too active too quickly could even lead to injuries, which can set you back.

Congrats!

and thanks, yes, i actually fractured my foot last time out haha worst thing to happen!!
#5 Old 12-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis88 View Post
Since i went on medication for my mental health 7 years ago, i put on weight. Its been a horrible road to go down, i never have eaten badly, my parents are healthy and i always likes 'good' food. I think the combination of starting uni and having alcohol a lot, with midnight drunken pizzas, hangover food...then with the meds, well it was a disaster. Plus its got continuously worse.

Now i feel im on a better path, since i began vegetarian diet (ok only 3 weeks haha) but i have turned down cake my housemate brought home, and eating out has been great because veggie stuff just seems healthier and lighter. Im enjoying looking for recipes and enjoying eating this way. Plus my water intake has increased a lot.

im not even stressing about protein! Usually i focus on it, meat meat meat...i know i dont want to eat meat ever again, but im not even worrying about my intake on a vegetarian diet. I think it may be because i know if i eat well and exercise, i will lose weight.

So next i want to slowly introduce exercise. I want to go on a short walk or bike ride each morning. Im trying to build slow and gentle, i think my problems in the past has been going full pelt ahead right at the beginning and failing and quitting.

Fingers crossed. any tips/advice/thoughts are very welcome.

Peace x
Hi, it sounds like things are going well! Have you ever meditated? Some people are helped in their weight loss journeys by meditating. Here is a great 10 minute one:
http://www.sonima.com/videos/meditat...lf-compassion/
#6 Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi, it sounds like things are going well! Have you ever meditated? Some people are helped in their weight loss journeys by meditating. Here is a great 10 minute one:
http://www.sonima.com/videos/meditat...lf-compassion/

Hello, yes i have, i used to go the the Buddist centre on Fridays as well for the session but, like most things i do, i tend to stop doing things when i get very depressed. It did help though, with my mental health.

I didnt know or hear about meditation helping weight loss. Makes sense though, thanks!
#7 Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM

hmmm i have put on 2 pounds :'( bloody hell. i thought i was eating well!! Maybe its carbs???? everything seems to be carbs now. i have negative thoughts yelping protein protein protein at me.
#8 Old 12-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
hmmm i have put on 2 pounds :'( bloody hell. i thought i was eating well!! Maybe its carbs???? everything seems to be carbs now. i have negative thoughts yelping protein protein protein at me.
1-2 pounds can be caused by a lot of things, from sodium to (if you're female) TOM. I'd give it another week, make sure you drink lots of water so you don't retain it, and see what happens.

If the results are still unsatisfactory, you might try logging your calories for a week or two to see where you're sitting, but I'd give it another week first.
skinnieminnie likes this.
#9 Old 12-04-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
1-2 pounds can be caused by a lot of things, from sodium to (if you're female) TOM. I'd give it another week, make sure you drink lots of water so you don't retain it, and see what happens.

If the results are still unsatisfactory, you might try logging your calories for a week or two to see where you're sitting, but I'd give it another week first.
thanks will do, i am a little worried about the amount of carbs but will just stop the worry if i can!
#10 Old 12-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Beginner

The thing to remember with weight loss is that any one week can be a statistical outlier. It's the overall trend you want to keep an eye on. Especially if you're a woman, our bodies retain water all the time for things that have nothing to do with your actual food intake: everything from airplane travel to the weather to menstruation.
alexis88 likes this.
#11 Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM

another 1lb put on i am on my period this week but still, i feel like saying F it and eating pizza ... :'(
#12 Old 01-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
another 1lb put on i am on my period this week but still, i feel like saying F it and eating pizza ... :'(
It's probably due to water retention because of your period. Try not to stress over it, and order pizza if you want pizza! Ask for no cheese and a ton of vegetables.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#13 Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM
the ever sleepy

alexis88 - How has your weight loss fared over the holiday? Kick those thoughts about protein and carbs. By all means, have a snack of almonds, your favorite nut butter, etc., but personally I find starches to be more filling. A half-cup of dried legumes and rice boiled for 2 hours and seasoned to be a lovely soup is only technically 360 cal, 460 if I choose to add some oil, and satiates me for the entire night if I eat around 9 p.m.
alexis88 and Symondezyn like this.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#14 Old 01-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Veggie Recycler

You'll lose weight pretty easily if you aren't a junk food vegan. I can't make promises towards vegetarian diet that still includes cheese and eggs, but even lacto ovo vegetarians still weigh less on average than meat eaters (note this is on average, just like red wine drinkers...the implications being vegetarians and wine drinkers are educated, health conscious people I'm sure).
#15 Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi alexis,

Are you still on the medication? I know that a lot of psych meds are notorious for contributing to weight gain and other issues. I'm not saying go off it by any means if it is helping you with your mental health. Sometimes though you have to find ways to adjust and work around it. It might mean trying a different med, or making it a goal to get more rest etc.

My partner was on prednisone for a chronic condition a few years ago and he is normally very thin but put on an alarming amount of weight very quickly. Some was from constant hunger, but a lot was from swelling and water too, and some drugs do something to the metabolism and change the way one processes glucose and other materials. Of course the minute he went off he dropped all of that weight, but I do know women who were on it and the weight took years to come off long after they went off. I know many years ago I used to be on antidepressants and they would make me sleepy or just feel like I was dragging. It was hard to exercise. Some of them made me always feel hungry. I tried many of them and finally gave them up altogether after 16 years because the side effects were always so horrible for me compared to the benefits. My sister has been on a number of hard core psych meds for years due to a mental illness. She was very overweight for a long time, over a decade. She went vegan in 2012 and changed her entire way of eating and learned to cook for the first time in years. She dropped over 60 lbs to a low normal weight, and was exercising at the gym three to five times per week, from nothing before. She used to eat a TON of processed foods, but learned to cook dried beans and incorporate far more fresh fruits and veggies into her diet and whole grains. She since went to vegetarian (includes some dairy in her diet now) and did put on fifteen lbs but has stayed there and is still in a healthy range of weight. She is still on her meds, but she has worked around the side effects by controlling her diet and keeping sugar and other triggering foods out of her apartment. She doesn't eat out much anymore, and cooks. She also schedules her exercise around the times when her meds are having less of an effect.

I think, to combat hunger, sleep/rest is a huge factor often overlooked. When your body is deprived of sleep, it seeks out energy any way it can, and food is energy. As long as you are eating enough and not depriving yourself, sleep will come easier, and this in turn will make it easier to keep a regular schedule of exercise and meals.

Also, as far as exercise, cardio is great as it will give you a boost of energy and increase natural endorphins, but resistance, weight training, and calisthenics are great too because they help build/maintain muscle mass even while losing weight, and provide increased metabolism all throughout the day even when you are at rest. Just something to keep in mind.

Carbs are nothing to be afraid of if they are healthy, such as whole grains (oats, spelt, barley, millet, brown rice etc), fruits and vegetables, beans/legumes. The ones you want to minimize are white flour/bread, white rice, sugar, processed cereals etc. I was just reading the latest issue of Vegan Health and Fitness and over ten athletes were interviewed about what they eat regularly and all of them included a huge amount of fresh fruit every day in their diets, and all were lean and muscular. Fruit is a great energy booster before a workout. I will often eat a fruit and a slower digesting food first thing in the morning before my workouts. Sometimes its almonds and mango, sometimes tofu/cocoa powder, banana, or whole wheat toast with beans on top and an orange on the side, or tempeh, kale, and pineapple, or a smoothie with fruit/leafy green, chia seeds or vegan protein powder. It works great for me. And eating something like fresh or dried fruit right after my workouts helps my muscles with immediate recovery from fatigue and keeps hunger in check. Later I will have loads of vegetables with a lunch, and a protein source.

I also recommend not weighing yourself more than once per week. And always do it at the same time, first thing in the morning, naked, after the bathroom but before breakfast, to get a more accurate picture and comparison. Also, a number on the scale doesn't tell the whole picture. How your clothes fit, and how you feel, tells a lot more. And, it can take weeks of effort before real fat loss begins to happen. The first month is always the hardest, and often people give up in frustration because they don't see instant results. Consistency is key.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 01-25-2016, 03:07 PM

wow Nature, thanks so much for this, i missed it completely!! Thank you thank you!

Im on meds yes, anti depressents and anti psychotics. the weight gain started a lot when i took the anti psychotics, i was on quetiapine which is notorious for massive weight gain i wasnt warned, and i got more depressed so they upped the meds, bad horrible cycle.

im on aripiprizole now, which apparently has much lower weight gain side effect. But i still cant lose anything...

I eat pretty well, i barely eat rubbish, every now and again ill have cake but thats once a week! I do eat bread, toast in the mornings if i dont have porriage...and sometimes if im hungry bread and peanut butter, but always brown bread.

I eat white rice so ill switch to brown.

The one thing i dont do is exercise, not alot. I ride my bike a mile a day to the bus. Then walk a bit to my studio, and in there its generally medium milling about. lots of sitting though, if i have computer work to do.

Im thinking of starting to cycle all the way to the studio, which is 6 miles. that will be 12 miles per day! Is cycling good?

Sadrielle, thanks for asking, it was ok, my first Christmas being vegetarian! Drank a bit, not loads as with parents but a fair ammount. Not much in terms of cakes, sweets...i dont have a huge sweet tooth really, thank fully! haha

Thanks to all who commented xxx
#17 Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I like cycling because it's a low impact way to get exercise. If you can bike to work then you will be able to get fit while doing something useful which is great.
#18 Old 01-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Cycling is awesome! It's a great way to be outdoors and get fresh air, and rely only on your own body to get to work. It really makes you treat your body well because you need that body and energy to get you around. It can take some planning though for weather, cold, rain, etc, and if you bring your own lunch and so on, you will need a way to transport stuff. I love to cycle to work as it keeps me in the moment and gets those endorphins going, and at the end of the day, it is a great way to relieve stress. I used to ride about 10 miles round trip to work, but my place of work was moved to a closer location a few years ago. Four miles round trip isn't enough for me, so I tend to leave earlier in the morning and go for a long ride before work (mind you this is between May and October, not now with all the snow and subzero temps lol).

Best wishes and congratulations on your first vegetarian Christmas!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks guys i have ordered some bike lights as it gets dark early, and im not going to get a bus pass and try cycling to my studio! Nervous as im unfit but also hope this is the start of some weight loss and confidence gaining!

Today, i ended up walking almost 7 miles! From the bus station to my studio, then from studio to the soup kitchen where i vollunteer, then back to the bus station. Im exhausted.

I will sleep tonight

x
#20 Old 01-29-2016, 02:43 AM

Unhappy

Yes, that is right about sweeteners. I have read about this many times. But what can be the alternate/ replacement for this sweetener. I have been habituated since my childhood for adding sweetness in my daily food. Had facing this problem since I have started.
#21 Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 AM

cycled to a meeting and back yesterday, 10 miles overall!
#22 Old 01-29-2016, 04:31 PM

6 miles cycled today. Hard work but enjoying it when i get home, sleeping better too.
LedBoots likes this.
#23 Old 01-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
6 miles cycled today. Hard work but enjoying it when i get home, sleeping better too.
That's fantastic! How is the weather where you are for cycling? I live in a warm place and have a bike that I should use more!
#24 Old 01-30-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
That's fantastic! How is the weather where you are for cycling? I live in a warm place and have a bike that I should use more!
cold, wet, windy hahaha im in the UK so right now its not the best cycling weather!! Cant wait for it to get milder. I dont mind the cold or the wet...its the wind thats not nice!

Good news as this week i lost 4 pounds!!!!!!
#25 Old 02-08-2016, 03:49 AM

put on 3lb.....HOW? god this is so frustrating
#26 Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM

What's your height and weight ? I think it is important , just to make a picture if you need or not need to put/lose some weight.
#27 Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I am not sure how often you are weighing yourself, but 3-4 pounds is something you can gain and lose in half a day or less. If you're really monitoring yourself if might be better to have a system which averages things out over time.
#28 Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Back to Veg

I second the suggestion of weighing in less often so you can see long term trends. Maybe every two weeks on a set day. I do Fridays because I've behaved myself all week and that's my when the numbers are in my favor!

Also, be sure to weigh yourself at the same time every day. I am always shocked by how much my weight can fluctuate even between the morning and the evening!

I've been vegetarian, vegan and omni and found that I can put on weight on any diet because my body likes to stack on weight in general. For me, counting daily calories is crucial for losing weight. I use MyFitnessPal on my phone, which I think is a very comprehensive app with a lot of foods listed.
#29 Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 PM

ive been weighing myself every 2 weeks, its not budging or moving up or down a couple pounds its making me so sad.

Im 5ft 7 & 248lb :'( so so so so so awful i know.
#30 Old 03-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Still no budge.....

Im trying so hard, maybe i need to exercise more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page