Can't seem to lose weight at all :( - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 PM

Question Can't seem to lose weight at all :(

Hi all!

I'm wondering if I could possibly get some advice from people who have been where I am currently. I have been vegan for a bit over a year and I first started out on the Raw Til 4 type diet with lots of fruit and starches at night and I gained about 10 pounds in under 6 months. I then switched over to a more Starch Solution type diet and lost a little weight, but not much. And now I'm basically following a relaxed version of the Starch Solution (more avocados and nuts and tofu). I can't seem to lose the weight, no matter how much I exercise or how much water I drink (1-3 liters a day). My calories in are around 1,500 per day, I don't really eat over 35g of fat per day and I try to do some sweat inducing exercise 3 days a week. I take Methyl B12 daily and I eat about an 80% whole food diet. I do think I need to eat more leafy greens, but I never feel satiated enough to make them the majority of any meal. None of my clothes fit and some days I want to cry because I don't know what else I can cut out without just completely depriving myself. I am 5'4 and around 117 pounds, 27 years old. Before going vegan, I've always hovered around 108-110 pounds and though 7-10 pounds may not seem like a lot, I'm shorter and it all shows up around my thighs and tummy. Any advice from any veterans? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogey Marx View Post
...My calories in are around 1,500 per day ... I try to do some sweat inducing exercise 3 days a week.
You know your calories in, what are your calories out? Have you ever tried any food log websites or phone apps, such as MyFitnessPal?

What is 'sweat inducing' exercise? Just because you sweat doesn't mean you'll lose weight.. I used to jog on the treadmill everyday, got to the point that I could actually jog a 5K, something I couldn't do before. However, I barely lost any weight (and I needed to lose weight). I didn't start to lose weight until I tracked my food (and started eating healthier overall--no fad diets for me, I still eat lots of junk food) and started metabolic training (did the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution thing). Lost just over 50 pounds.

I used to think that eating leafy greens wouldn't fill me up, but I'm pretty satisfied with large salads nowadays.
#3 Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Oryzatarian

According to the numbers given your in the bottom third of 'normal' bodyweight with your target being the line that separates normal from underweight according to the typical body mass index chart. It may not be the answer you wanted, but one option is to relax and accept yourself since you sound quite healthy.
That said, your fat consumption is 20% of your caloric intake. This is far better than most peoples, but if you lower it down towards 12 by leaving out the avocados, nuts, and oils you'd loose a few pounds. In summer my fat intake is even lower than that and in fall I increase it to 12% to gain several pounds back for winter, and even then I still count as underweight, lol

#4 Old 11-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

If you are 5'4 and 117lb, you are a normal weight, even quite thin.

I am going to ask an uncomfortable question, but do you have a history of eating disorders? You seem to highly control your food, and the attraction to raw/vegan style diets is a cover many people use to hide their disorders, even from themselves.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 11-23-2015, 01:47 PM

Thank you for replying!

I currently use Cron-O-Meter to track my nutrition. And as for fitness, I mix it up with a lot of different things, some days I'll do P90X or a HIIT workout, some days I'll do yoga, some days I'll go for a jog, some days I'll just do squats and more body resistance training. I am pretty educated in HOW to lose weight, but nothing I'm doing is working for some reason.
#6 Old 11-23-2015, 02:05 PM

And yes, I know I'm at the bottom tier of weight for my height, but my "normal" weight usually hovers around 110. The seven extra pounds wouldn't be such a big deal if it was evenly distributed throughout my body, but it all gravitates to my lower stomach and thighs! And when I'm bloated, it's even worse (the 3 month pregnant look).
The extra weight effects my hormones negatively, I have an increase in PMS symptoms, terrible cramps, acne along my chin. These are all things I don't experience when I'm at a lower weight and I think it's a signal from my body that I'm not supposed to be at this weight.

I don't highly control my food. I eat when I want, what I want within reason. So, instead of frying something, I'll bake it with a fraction of the oil. I don't think my diet is restrictive at all because I really enjoy all the food I eat and I LOVE eating. I'll give an example of what I eat in any given day.

Breakfast: 20oz water with ACV, a cup of green tea and 2 baked yellow potatoes with salt and pepper (sometimes I'll have Soy-rizo with them) and a piece of Ezekiel bread with a little Earth Balance butter on it

Snack: 3 dates with peanut butter

Lunch: 20oz water and Homemade sushi with avocados, cucumbers and carrots and soy sauce

Snack: 20oz water and Garden Of Eaten blue corn tortilla chips with hummus

Dinner: 20oz water Rice or potatoes with this "cheese sauce" I make (nearly fat-free and made out of potatoes, carrots and nutritional yeast and is to DIE for), some sautéed vegetables or a veggie patty (or two)

Snack: A handful of almonds and a cup of green tea

Also here is a link to that "cheese" because it's seriously the greatest guilt free ooey gooey topping for anything.

http://www.veggieonapenny.com/vegan-cheese/

Tags
weight , weight gain , weight loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page