I'm never hungry - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Beginner

I'm in the process of losing weight.

Should I eat if I'm not hungry? Because if I don't, I could seriously go days without eating. (I've tried it)

Right now the only time I'm eating is when I start to feel drowsy. Which doesn't seem right at all. I never have hunger pains.

Shouldn't my body be signaling me that it needs more energy and nutrients before it gets to that point?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMiranda View Post

I'm in the process of losing weight.

Should I eat if I'm not hungry? Because if I don't, I could seriously go days without eating. (I've tried it)

Right now the only time I'm eating is when I start to feel drowsy. Which doesn't seem right at all. I never have hunger pains.

Shouldn't my body be signaling me that it needs more energy and nutrients before it gets to that point?

I'm never hungry either. Especially in the mornings. AND I'm prone to listening to my body which means I just won't eat, even if it's been a looooooong time since my last meal. Like yesterday I was REALLY bad. I ate the night before at 8pm. Woke up, not hungry as usual. Had some coffee. Finally ate a piece of bread and some fruit at 3pm, then ate a dinner meal at 10pm.

I've been trying to stop this bad habit, and here's why...

I was a vegetarian for about 18-20 years. Then I started getting super tired all the time and sick and so on. My body translated that into, "You need meat" so I went back to eating fish and chicken sometimes (no red meat or pork) for like a 1.5 years. I felt like crap every time I did by the way and I felt very, very guilty after not having eaten animals for so long. But I honestly chalked it up to my body needing it.

Anyhow, I kept feeling bad about eating meat, so I thought about my old diet and realized that the tired issue was likely more due to me not eating enough and not cooking enough varied foods NOT the lack of meat. I went back to vegetarian, now I'm eating vegan. 

Now, most days I try to eat something small many times a day, even if I'm totally not hungry. I did bad yesterday, but mostly I've been doing better and I'm not tired, not sick, etc. Plus, I don't have that feeling something is missing that I need. I once heard that if you want to be a healthy weight, have a healthy body, etc, look at a healthy kid and do what they do. My son is super slender, very active and has an excellent diet - and he's always been a grazer, not a full meal eater. So, I've been trying to act like him. Eat small snacks or tiny meals many times a day vs. three meals. It's worked a lot better. 

I think, if you're only eating when you're getting tired, you may be setting yourself up for health issues. Some people just don't get those hunger pains, but you do need to eat. If eating seems too bothersome or you're dreading it because you're not hungry, try a soy milk, veggie or fruit smoothie. I've been drinking more of these lately instead of forcing myself to always eat a meal or snack.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards: FacebookTwitter + Pinterest
* Find me: Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest
#3 Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Beginner

I have been trying to graze more lately. Since I don't like feeling tired. But idk. Sometimes eating just seems like such a hassle. Or its like I'm eating something and I just get in the habit of putting food in my mouth and chewing, so I overeat.

I eat in the morning to make sure I have some food in me. And I cook lots of different stuff. Since there is a lot of recipes I'm trying out.

So even though I'm not hungry, I should just snack all day? I mean of course of good healthy foods.

Food always taste better when you're hungry though. And I don't want to associate my favorite foods with annoyance since I 'have' to eat them.

I'm eating three meals a day right now. and sometimes I munch of some vegetables between lunch and breakfast since there is such a huge gap of time between there.

I think I'll try drinking smoothies when I don't feel like eating. Since, I think it's mostly the chewing part that seems like a hassle.

I drink a ton of water too. Probably 4 or 5 liters a day. I just really like water. It's clean and refreshing. Haha. Can this contribute to me not feeling hungry too?

#4 Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

So even though I'm not hungry, I should just snack all day? I mean of course of good healthy foods.

Food always taste better when you're hungry though. And I don't want to associate my favorite foods with annoyance since I 'have' to eat them.

I'm eating three meals a day right now. and sometimes I munch of some vegetables between lunch and breakfast since there is such a huge gap of time between there.

I drink a ton of water too. Probably 4 or 5 liters a day. I just really like water. It's clean and refreshing. Haha. Can this contribute to me not feeling hungry too?

Wait, above you said you "the only time I'm eating is when I start to feel drowsy" but here you say you're eating three meals a day. I figured you were not eating at all, how I'll do. But if you're eating three meals and munching produce, you prob don't need more food. Also, yeah, the water deal is a big deal. Research always says, if you want to lose weight (which I know isn't your issue) drink more water, because it fills you up. I know I feel fuller on hike days because I drink more H2O. 

Your diet of 3 meals, snacks and water is why you don't feel hungry - you sound like you're eating perfectly for you.

~ Jennifer

#5 Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Beginner

Well it's three meals because that's when I start feeling drowsy. :p I guess I should have cleared that up.

There are times when I don't feel drowsy though. And I use to not eat then.

But I've just recently started eating more. Like 3 days ago, since I wanted to see if that would help.

I am trying to lose weight. But definitely in a healthy way.

I guess I'll just continue what I'm doing. :] I just wasn't sure if it's normal not to feel hungry ever.

#6 Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

I just wasn't sure if it's normal not to feel hungry ever.

I don't know if it's "normal" or not from a science standpoint, but I don't get hungry feelings hardly ever, so I'm going with not abnormal for everyone ;)

~ Jennifer

#7 Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

first thought is to move more.  how much physical activity to you do everyday?  on days when i work out, work a full shift, walk the dogs and clean the house I am starving, on days i work on the computer all day and ride the bus for hours i don't feel hungry, obviously im burning more energy that needs to be replaced on busy days.

eating regularly boosts your metabolism, which if you are trying to lose weight is an important key.  

#8 Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I haven't been exercising much for the past month. Other than walking to the store every now and then.

I was running 3 miles every morning for months.

But the weather is now too humid in the mornings and it never cools down enough before the sun goes down.

And I don't feel safe where I live to be outside after dark.

But I don't really think my exercise has much to do with it. Because when I was running 3 miles I was never hungry then either. I was tired more often though, that's for sure.

Maybe that's just my hunger pain or something. Is me getting sleepy. It still seems really weird.

Side note, I am getting a bike Friday, and I'm sure excited about that. At least I'll have some breeze when I'm trying to exercise. Until I'm able to use my schools gym and then I can run there.

#9 Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Beginner

you know drinking a lot makes your stomac swollen and it is full that is why you may not be hungry.

however you could have also an other problem not to be hungry. have you ever been to the doctor to talk about that?

it is the same sometimes I am not hungry at all, I don't like this. My stomac is very small because I am suffered a lot from eating disorder fews years ago. I still have some but not so important that it was used to be! 

take care , if you want to talk in private message there is no pb.

#10 Old 08-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Beginner

Has this ALWAYS been your response to hunger? Getting sleepy? Did you ever get tummy ache from being hungry?

Kinda sounds like you might have a parasite if you used to get hunger pains and now you dont. Please get checked out by a doc. ^.^

love

Mary

http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--That's the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#11 Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Well, I don't want to interfere with any doctor's advice, but I'd advise you to figure out how much food you need each day to continue weight loss healthily, and eat it. You can do that with many online calculators. But given that you don't get hungry, you should eat even so, but take care that you don't eat too much. Also, you might want to get checked out by a doctor, as others have advised.

#12 Old 08-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

Kinda sounds like you might have a parasite if you used to get hunger pains and now you dont. Please get checked out by a doc. ^.^

I thought parasites made people hungry all the time, since they're eating your nutrients.  What is your reasoning?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Ive been vegan for a few months now and Ive notice im never hungry anymore, that first month was pretty tuff, Id get head aches and be hungry and have cravings nut these last couple months I never get hungry and I dont remember what a head ache feels like.  I just force myself to eat fruits all day long and maybe a veg burger or stir fry for dinner, does the job.  you got to eat haha, drink your green smoothies woman!!! :)

#14 Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Legume

"Hunger pains" actually have little to do with your brain signaling hunger, hunger pains occur when the stomach has been empty for awhile and starts to contract.   If you're drinking a lot, you'll likely avoid hunger pains.  

So here is a somewhat long-winded explanation of what is happening:  

1.) Your body uses its stored glycogen,  glycogen is stored glucose and if glycogen stores are full it can run the body for many hours. 

2.)  Once your glycogen stores are used up your body tells your fat tissues to start releasing fats into the blood  and the process of ketosis starts, that is, your cells start to burn fat instead of glucose.   But there is one problem, some of your brain cells need glucose as they can't metabolize fat for energy.   Your body can't convert fat into glucose, but it can convert protein into glucose.....so it does just that to fuel your brain.   Your body will start to break down its own protein (in your muscles, etc) and convert it into glucose for use in the brain. 

3.) Your body will continue to burn fat and break down its own protein...until there isn't anything left and you die.  

Anyhow, between #1 and #2 is when you start to feel hunger but not in terms of "hunger pains", instead you may start to feel weak, light headed, etc.... 

But, if you have significant body fat, your body actually wants to get rid of it so it may not signal a strong sense of hunger.   I remember thinking the same sorts of things when I first started to change my diet, I just wouldn't get that hungry.  But as I lost more and more weight things changed.   The excess fat tissue effects how your brain processes "hunger signals" from other parts of the body.    So your drowsiness is more than likely caused by your body going into #2.  

#15 Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The brain has a lot to do with hunger and satiety.

Exerpt from the article: "Two studies in Science magazine look at brain cells, and their signals, that appear to drive weight loss and suppress hunger.

Killing off particular neurons or boosting a protein that keeps neurons alive makes mice lose weight by eating less.

The US teams from Boston and Seattle say the similar appetite pathways are present in humans." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4382142.stm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page