Protein - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Beginner

How does everyone get their protein? I am not a tofu lover and am just starting on the veggie journey (still eating fish sorry) I only gave up meat two weeks ago and milk yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Beginner

There is protein in all plant foods. I know fruit and leafy green eaters who get all the protein they need without grains, nuts, seeds, or beans. The best way to reassure yourself about your protein intake is to use a site like Fitday that gives complete nutritional info on everything you eat.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Beginner

Just about everything I eat has protein in it. Beans & grains are good sources though.

Here's a decent website on protein in a vegan diet:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
#4 Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Beginner

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm It's a common myth that protein is difficult for vegetarians to get enough of.
#5 Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm It's a common myth that protein is difficult for vegetarians to get enough of.

Too slow.
#6 Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Nuts, seeds, lentils, and beans have very high concentrations of protein. Quinoa and tempeh are also great. Other whole grains are relatively high in proteins. Wheat germ is very high in protein, and I sometimes mix it in with drinks, or anything else I can get away with mixing it in with for that matter, as if it were a supplement. And if you still eat eggs then of course that's a source.

I'm a fitness fanatic and extremely physically active in general and have no problem getting ample protein.

And is it just soft tofu chunks you don't like? Have you tried it in other forms, such as baked marinated tofu patties, roasted soy beans, etc. Pretty much any stir fry style dish can be made with tofu cubed and pan fried so it gets all crispy.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#7 Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Beginner

Hoestly I havent tried tofu, I am only just embarking on this journey and so am learning as I go. What excatly is tofu? Is it relly good for you?
#8 Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Beginner

O.K. so I just saw vegitarian baked beans, what is wrong with normal ones? Also I thought soy was pretty bad for health. Please ecuse all the questions but as I said I am trying to learn thanx.
#9 Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnyj View Post

Hoestly I havent tried tofu, I am only just embarking on this journey and so am learning as I go. What excatly is tofu? Is it relly good for you?

It's made in a manner very similar to cheese, except using soy milk instead of milk, and using nigari as a coagulant instead of rennet.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#10 Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:

O.K. so I just saw vegitarian baked beans, what is wrong with normal ones? Also I thought soy was pretty bad for health. Please ecuse all the questions but as I said I am trying to learn thanx.

Baked beans, especially canned, often have pork fat or other animal products added.

Soy is just a bean not unlike any other bean, and the science used to identify it as bad is flawed (as is true with much of nutrition science). There are populations in Japan as well as Hong Kong who eat lots of soy and have among the highest life spans in the world. The fact that they have made some negative correlations with soy consumption in the United States but can't explain why other populations don't share these negative health aspects shows only that there is a problem with the American lifestyle, not that there is a problem with the soy itself. Correlation does not always equal causation. This is a critical part of scientific analysis, and one that is often ignored.

#11 Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

It's made in a manner very similar to cheese, except using soy milk instead of milk, and using nigari as a coagulant instead of rennet.

Does it taste similar to paneer cheese because that is tasteless and I love that?
#12 Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Too slow.

#13 Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Does it taste similar to paneer cheese because that is tasteless and I love that?

The softer variety does resemble paneer. It is kind of tasteless, and that is actually one of the things people love about it. It soaks up flavor like a sponge, especially if you first press out some of the water, which is why it's so ideal for sauteing or throwing into a curry or something.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page