Do avocados make you sick? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 Old 01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Beginner

I love avocados, but when I eat a whole one (this happens rarely, but when I have nobody to share with, I eat the whole thing) I feel nauseous. First I start losing my appetite, then I have to force myself to keep eating (I need the calories), then I just get sick. I have read that this occurs with some people who have the same problem with bananas. I have no problem with bananas or any other vegetarian food. This happens whether it's on a salad, a sandwich, or by itself. Last week I had to drink Pepto to hold down my guacamole salad. I thought maybe the restaurant had cross-contaminated my food, but today I felt like hurling after eating a plain avocado. Does anyone else experience this? Could it be too much fat for me to handle?

Image added by Jennifer C

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Beginner

No. Try organic ones and make sure they are ripe.
#3 Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

do you know if you are allergic to latex?

latex allergy and avocado allergy are similar and sometimes go hand in hand. your symptoms are like those for an avocado allergy.

best to avoid avocados if you are allergic.
#4 Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

There's a lot of fat in an avocado. Do you get abdominal pain, too?
#5 Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

I can't eat a whole avocado without feeling nauseous, so I only eat half.
#6 Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Beginner

I'm not allergic to latex. I've been tested for allergies to everything and luckily I'm not allergic to anything. I have tried organic ones too and I always make sure they're ripe (otherwise they have no flavor). I do have extremely mild abdominal pain, but it's not as bad as the nausea.
#7 Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

i ate a whole one today!
no tummy problems!
#8 Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Beginner

i get nauseous too. for me it's the high fat content. too much fat makes me sick (too much for me is a normal amount people use in cooking)
#9 Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Beginner

If they always make you sick then why continue to eat them???
It's ridiculously easy to avoid avocados. I've been doing it for years.
#10 Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

If you get upper right quandrant abdominal pain after eating fatty foods, you might suspect gallbladder. Especially if you have the risk factors of Female Fat Forty and Fairskinned. It's usually severe pain though, not mild like you describe.

Btw, I love avocados and had guacamole for lunch!
Luna13 likes this.
#11 Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Beginner

I also feel nauseous if I eat a whole avocado. I figure it just means I don't like them - simple as that. I'd love to be able to eat them, but I just can't get them down. I also have trouble with avocado in salads, but strangely enough, I can eat guacamole without problems. Well, I can't eat too much of it, but I can eat the amount that comes with a portion of nachos.
I have the same "problem" with very ripe bananas. So in my home, bananas that I don't get around to eating when they're green-ish and delicious turn into banana cake.
I don't think that your nausea (or mine, for that matter) is a symptom of any sort of allergy or disease. I think it just means that we don't like them. I've heard a dietitian say that if there's a type of food that you really just can't get down, you don't need it. I figure this means that if you were desperately lacking the vitamins and nutrients in avocados, you'd be able to eat them without problems. But since that's not the case, there's no need to worry about it and force yourself to eat it.
#12 Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Beginner

I have the same problem eating avocados! I can tolerate them in small doses (veggie sushi or a small serving of guacamole), but every time I've tried larger slices on a sandwich or tucked into a salad, I definitely get a really bad stomach ache. I thought it was only me! I've wondered if it's the high fat content or if it might be an intolerance of some kind?
#13 Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Beginner

I got tummy ache from eating a whole avocado once, too. Half an avocado isn't a problem.
#14 Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Beginner

I get heartburn if I eat peanut butter and orange juice together, but I can eat avocados without any problems. I often eat a whole one as a snack.
#15 Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Beginner

I've never gotten sick from eating avocados. In fact, I love eating them. =)
#16 Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Beginner

Not sure if it's related but you mention avocados and bananas specifically and myself and several migraineur chums all find that those two are real triggers for migraines ( which come with nausea ). Migraines can be 'silent' , aka make you sick to your stomach and feel spacey and weird but lack the headpain, in some people? Are you okay with other high fat foods? I am.
Interestingly, any migraine trigger in moderation seems to be okay for me ( except tea. Which is sad. I love tea! But coffee's now my vice..) , a banana is fine but two makes me ill. Avocado is fine but only ever about a quarter.
Hope this helps ?
#17 Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Banned

I don't like avocados in general, but when i eat em, I get a headache :(

#18 Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Beginner

I have gotten nauseous the last few times I've had guacamole. 

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#19 Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Beginner

This has recently happened to me!!!! I would love to know what info you get about it.

#20 Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Beginner

When I was little I had some avocado and got terribly sick! I stayed away from them until reading about all avocado love here!
I took about half to work in a sandwich, kind of had to force it down. Within the hour I had pains and just wanted to throw up. I left work, went home, and threw up worse than I could remember.

I've never been known to have a latex allergy. Now I'm worried.

#21 Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Silva do you have issues with cinnamon?  They are supposedly related and often if you have an issue with one you'll notice problems with the other. 

I have issues with avocado, I can only eat about a quarter of an avocado without feeling nauseated and having stomach issues, I did consult a doctor about it years ago and was told it had to do with the very high levels of fat.  If I eat more it will make me sick however as I didn't have any of the other symptoms of an allergy I was told it was either sensitivity to avocados or the fat content.  I had to taper down my avocado eating quite a bit and I will still become very ill and suffer a lot of gastrointestinal distress if I eat more than that.  

The wretching however sounds a bit more serious - you may want to avoid them entirely or if you're still keen on them try very sparing portions and work your way up to the maximum you can consume.  It sounds like you've been doing just fine without them for years though...maybe you and avocado just weren't meant to be?

#22 Old 09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Wow, that's interesting about the cinnamon! I couldn't eat a whole avo in one sitting for the reasons mentioned above but I also used to get horrible headaches from even just a tablespoon..and ditto cinnamon! Strangely enough, I don't anymore. I don't know whether I grew out of it or something changed when I went vegan ( I actually get fewer headaches overall now ) but the fact that there's a connection between the two is cool :) 

Good luck with your avo eating! I find fatty food goes down better with something starchy- never an empty tummy! 

#23 Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeina View Post

Silva do you have issues with cinnamon?  They are supposedly related and often if you have an issue with one you'll notice problems with the other. 

I have issues with avocado, I can only eat about a quarter of an avocado without feeling nauseated and having stomach issues, I did consult a doctor about it years ago and was told it had to do with the very high levels of fat.  If I eat more it will make me sick however as I didn't have any of the other symptoms of an allergy I was told it was either sensitivity to avocados or the fat content.  I had to taper down my avocado eating quite a bit and I will still become very ill and suffer a lot of gastrointestinal distress if I eat more than that.  

The wretching however sounds a bit more serious - you may want to avoid them entirely or if you're still keen on them try very sparing portions and work your way up to the maximum you can consume.  It sounds like you've been doing just fine without them for years though...maybe you and avocado just weren't meant to be?

I don't have issues with any foods but avocado, and I guess, buttermilk. Again, I remember liking buttermilk when I was little, and got really sick the second time I had it. Even if I weren't vegan, I wouldn't think of drinking it.
I hate avocados! They're nasty, ugly, gross textured and will forever be my enemy. I only tried it again because they seem so popular in vegan recipes, and on this forum.

I love cinnamon! All spices I can think of --no -- I hate cilantro. I love the spice it grows from (coriander) but not the plant!

That's all. Just worried now about the latex thing....

#24 Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Beginner

My stomach gets cramps and I get nauseated when I eat too much avocado. It does the same thing if I eat something with lots of coconut oil. I'm pretty sure it's the fat.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#25 Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I hate cilantro too, with passion unmatched in the arenas of old.

#26 Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I hate cilantro too, with passion unmatched in the arenas of old.

I also hate cilantro. But I love coriander, the seed from which it grows! 

Do you like coriander? 

Cilantro tastes like powdered laundry detergent, but coriander is lovely lemony spice to me!

#27 Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Beginner

I adore coriander, I like to toast it in a pan and then cook it into my rice with a little cumin, paprika, and cayenne for some zesty goodness - adding peas actually makes it a super tasty stir fry base.  MmMmMmM.

#28 Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

I adore coriander, I like to toast it in a pan and then cook it into my rice with a little cumin, paprika, and cayenne for some zesty goodness - adding peas actually makes it a super tasty stir fry base.  MmMmMmM.

Me too! My Indian friend does this, she showed me to smash up the seeds and toast them with the other spices, as a mix for dal with olive oil, or in rice. I'm going to add peas next time, great idea! smiley.gif
#29 Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Beginner

I'm allergic to latex and avocado, but it took a long time of trying to consume these products to realize it, so you may actually be becoming allergic to avo's.

My first signs of avo allergies were upset stomach when I ate guacamole. I persist in eating them though, until the symptoms became more severe like uticaria, throat swelling and vomiting.

Basically, if something make you sick, stop eating it.smiley.gif

#30 Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Avocado is plant poop!

There, I said it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page