VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Diets & Losing Weight (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/)
-   -   Do avocados make you sick? (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/132340-do-avocados-make-you-sick.html)

pasty 01-11-2012 11:35 AM

I love avocados, but when I eat a whole one (this happens rarely, but when I have nobody to share with, I eat the whole thing) I feel nauseous. First I start losing my appetite, then I have to force myself to keep eating (I need the calories), then I just get sick. I have read that this occurs with some people who have the same problem with bananas. I have no problem with bananas or any other vegetarian food. This happens whether it's on a salad, a sandwich, or by itself. Last week I had to drink Pepto to hold down my guacamole salad. I thought maybe the restaurant had cross-contaminated my food, but today I felt like hurling after eating a plain avocado. Does anyone else experience this? Could it be too much fat for me to handle?

Image added by Jennifer C

penny79 01-11-2012 11:39 AM

No. Try organic ones and make sure they are ripe.

luvourmother 01-11-2012 12:00 PM

do you know if you are allergic to latex?

latex allergy and avocado allergy are similar and sometimes go hand in hand. your symptoms are like those for an avocado allergy.

best to avoid avocados if you are allergic.

LedBoots 01-11-2012 01:17 PM

There's a lot of fat in an avocado. Do you get abdominal pain, too?

reneeannem 01-11-2012 01:20 PM

I can't eat a whole avocado without feeling nauseous, so I only eat half.

pasty 01-11-2012 01:31 PM

I'm not allergic to latex. I've been tested for allergies to everything and luckily I'm not allergic to anything. I have tried organic ones too and I always make sure they're ripe (otherwise they have no flavor). I do have extremely mild abdominal pain, but it's not as bad as the nausea.

jessickah 01-11-2012 01:47 PM

i ate a whole one today!
no tummy problems!

zirpkatze 01-11-2012 01:59 PM

i get nauseous too. for me it's the high fat content. too much fat makes me sick (too much for me is a normal amount people use in cooking)

fadeaway1289 01-11-2012 02:45 PM

If they always make you sick then why continue to eat them???
It's ridiculously easy to avoid avocados. I've been doing it for years.

LedBoots 01-11-2012 03:00 PM

If you get upper right quandrant abdominal pain after eating fatty foods, you might suspect gallbladder. Especially if you have the risk factors of Female Fat Forty and Fairskinned. It's usually severe pain though, not mild like you describe.

Btw, I love avocados and had guacamole for lunch!

AnneMaria 01-11-2012 05:30 PM

I also feel nauseous if I eat a whole avocado. I figure it just means I don't like them - simple as that. I'd love to be able to eat them, but I just can't get them down. I also have trouble with avocado in salads, but strangely enough, I can eat guacamole without problems. Well, I can't eat too much of it, but I can eat the amount that comes with a portion of nachos.
I have the same "problem" with very ripe bananas. So in my home, bananas that I don't get around to eating when they're green-ish and delicious turn into banana cake.
I don't think that your nausea (or mine, for that matter) is a symptom of any sort of allergy or disease. I think it just means that we don't like them. I've heard a dietitian say that if there's a type of food that you really just can't get down, you don't need it. I figure this means that if you were desperately lacking the vitamins and nutrients in avocados, you'd be able to eat them without problems. But since that's not the case, there's no need to worry about it and force yourself to eat it.

all.actions.speak 01-12-2012 08:23 PM

I have the same problem eating avocados! I can tolerate them in small doses (veggie sushi or a small serving of guacamole), but every time I've tried larger slices on a sandwich or tucked into a salad, I definitely get a really bad stomach ache. I thought it was only me! I've wondered if it's the high fat content or if it might be an intolerance of some kind?

Mufflon 01-15-2012 09:22 AM

I got tummy ache from eating a whole avocado once, too. Half an avocado isn't a problem.

delicioso 01-15-2012 10:35 AM

I get heartburn if I eat peanut butter and orange juice together, but I can eat avocados without any problems. I often eat a whole one as a snack.

TheHRchannel 01-24-2012 12:28 PM

I've never gotten sick from eating avocados. In fact, I love eating them. =)

Cassette 02-28-2012 06:36 PM

Not sure if it's related but you mention avocados and bananas specifically and myself and several migraineur chums all find that those two are real triggers for migraines ( which come with nausea ). Migraines can be 'silent' , aka make you sick to your stomach and feel spacey and weird but lack the headpain, in some people? Are you okay with other high fat foods? I am.
Interestingly, any migraine trigger in moderation seems to be okay for me ( except tea. Which is sad. I love tea! But coffee's now my vice..) , a banana is fine but two makes me ill. Avocado is fine but only ever about a quarter.
Hope this helps ?

leahrivera 06-28-2012 07:47 PM

I don't like avocados in general, but when i eat em, I get a headache :(

Persephone104 06-28-2012 08:51 PM

I have gotten nauseous the last few times I've had guacamole. 

jmatt123 09-23-2012 06:35 PM

This has recently happened to me!!!! I would love to know what info you get about it.

silva 09-24-2012 04:07 PM

When I was little I had some avocado and got terribly sick! I stayed away from them until reading about all avocado love here!
I took about half to work in a sandwich, kind of had to force it down. Within the hour I had pains and just wanted to throw up. I left work, went home, and threw up worse than I could remember.

I've never been known to have a latex allergy. Now I'm worried.

Medeina 09-24-2012 06:19 PM

Silva do you have issues with cinnamon?  They are supposedly related and often if you have an issue with one you'll notice problems with the other. 

I have issues with avocado, I can only eat about a quarter of an avocado without feeling nauseated and having stomach issues, I did consult a doctor about it years ago and was told it had to do with the very high levels of fat.  If I eat more it will make me sick however as I didn't have any of the other symptoms of an allergy I was told it was either sensitivity to avocados or the fat content.  I had to taper down my avocado eating quite a bit and I will still become very ill and suffer a lot of gastrointestinal distress if I eat more than that.  

The wretching however sounds a bit more serious - you may want to avoid them entirely or if you're still keen on them try very sparing portions and work your way up to the maximum you can consume.  It sounds like you've been doing just fine without them for years though...maybe you and avocado just weren't meant to be?

DandelionsCount 09-29-2012 07:13 PM

Wow, that's interesting about the cinnamon! I couldn't eat a whole avo in one sitting for the reasons mentioned above but I also used to get horrible headaches from even just a tablespoon..and ditto cinnamon! Strangely enough, I don't anymore. I don't know whether I grew out of it or something changed when I went vegan ( I actually get fewer headaches overall now ) but the fact that there's a connection between the two is cool :) 

Good luck with your avo eating! I find fatty food goes down better with something starchy- never an empty tummy! 

silva 09-30-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeina View Post

Silva do you have issues with cinnamon?  They are supposedly related and often if you have an issue with one you'll notice problems with the other. 

I have issues with avocado, I can only eat about a quarter of an avocado without feeling nauseated and having stomach issues, I did consult a doctor about it years ago and was told it had to do with the very high levels of fat.  If I eat more it will make me sick however as I didn't have any of the other symptoms of an allergy I was told it was either sensitivity to avocados or the fat content.  I had to taper down my avocado eating quite a bit and I will still become very ill and suffer a lot of gastrointestinal distress if I eat more than that.  

The wretching however sounds a bit more serious - you may want to avoid them entirely or if you're still keen on them try very sparing portions and work your way up to the maximum you can consume.  It sounds like you've been doing just fine without them for years though...maybe you and avocado just weren't meant to be?

I don't have issues with any foods but avocado, and I guess, buttermilk. Again, I remember liking buttermilk when I was little, and got really sick the second time I had it. Even if I weren't vegan, I wouldn't think of drinking it.
I hate avocados! They're nasty, ugly, gross textured and will forever be my enemy. I only tried it again because they seem so popular in vegan recipes, and on this forum.

I love cinnamon! All spices I can think of --no -- I hate cilantro. I love the spice it grows from (coriander) but not the plant!

That's all. Just worried now about the latex thing....

luxdancer 10-01-2012 02:47 PM

My stomach gets cramps and I get nauseated when I eat too much avocado. It does the same thing if I eat something with lots of coconut oil. I'm pretty sure it's the fat.

Medeina 10-01-2012 05:20 PM

I hate cilantro too, with passion unmatched in the arenas of old.

silva 10-01-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

I hate cilantro too, with passion unmatched in the arenas of old.

I also hate cilantro. But I love coriander, the seed from which it grows! 

Do you like coriander? 

Cilantro tastes like powdered laundry detergent, but coriander is lovely lemony spice to me!

Medeina 10-01-2012 05:43 PM

I adore coriander, I like to toast it in a pan and then cook it into my rice with a little cumin, paprika, and cayenne for some zesty goodness - adding peas actually makes it a super tasty stir fry base.  MmMmMmM.

LedBoots 10-02-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

I adore coriander, I like to toast it in a pan and then cook it into my rice with a little cumin, paprika, and cayenne for some zesty goodness - adding peas actually makes it a super tasty stir fry base.  MmMmMmM.

Me too! My Indian friend does this, she showed me to smash up the seeds and toast them with the other spices, as a mix for dal with olive oil, or in rice. I'm going to add peas next time, great idea! smiley.gif

broccolichick 10-15-2012 02:06 PM

I'm allergic to latex and avocado, but it took a long time of trying to consume these products to realize it, so you may actually be becoming allergic to avo's.

My first signs of avo allergies were upset stomach when I ate guacamole. I persist in eating them though, until the symptoms became more severe like uticaria, throat swelling and vomiting.

Basically, if something make you sick, stop eating it.smiley.gif

silva 10-15-2012 05:27 PM

Avocado is plant poop!

There, I said it!

Werewolf Girl 10-15-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Avocado is plant poop!
There, I said it!

You're plant poop! So there! tongue3.gif

Marie Harding 12-06-2012 08:31 AM

Avacados are high in fat. That can cause nausea especially if you have gallbladder problems. I had my gallbladder removed and even doing so need to stay away from high fat foods. Today I am in severe pain from eating guacamole yesterday. Never again : ( You may be able to handle avacados if eaten alongside a food like rice. I've never had problems that way. Good Luck!!

vMaryv 12-07-2012 11:26 AM

If I eat too much or eat it too many days in a row, I will start to get nauseous from them. When that happens, I just lay off them for a while.

Aileen Collins 01-18-2013 09:27 PM

Avocado makes me sick. Tonight I ate less than a teaspoon. I get gut stabbing, colon twisting, stomach exploding pains. Now, my head and face are starting to itch. Mostly, I have to suffer through it. I've known for 20+ years that just a slight cross contamination will make me ill. Once a year, I try again. You know, just in case I can eat it this time and it won't make me ill. For the first time, I decided to see if there are others like me. It seems 1% of the population is allergic to avocados and this is the reaction it causes. I don't throw up, but others do. The pain lasts about 6 hours. I have a slight reaction to latex, but only if it is prolonged. I do have diarrhea after eating it. It's the only food I can't eat. It's a sad, sad allergy to have. 

Fahrenheit 01-20-2013 07:59 AM

As veggies we are used to not eat much fat (unless you eat all your veggies deep fried grin.gif) so the fast intake of fat with avocados can be too much for your stomach.

I try to eat them with tomatoes so the acidity of tomatoes "dissolves" the fat faster.

I've been allergic to avocados and eggplants for years (from 14 to 37) and I suddenly could eat them again, but they do make me sick if I'm not eating slowly and mixing with something else.

LuvsSunshine 01-28-2013 03:51 PM

I love avocado. But, I can only eat half. I also can't eat more than 2 tbs of peanut butter at a time at the most, it's usually like 1 tbs. I can't use too much olive oil either more than 2 tbs makes me ill. Or margarine, too much on toast makes me ill. Never mind mayo, which I am giving up anyway because I am going vegan, too much of that makes me really sick. I don't eat french fries for the same reason. Just gross. You would think with all those things making me ill if I get to much I would be thin, but no I never got thin from that. But, then I have only been a vegetarian for a little over a year. I am losing weight though, it's rather slow because my diet still needs a lot of tweaking. 

LedBoots 01-28-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsSunshine View Post

I love avocado. But, I can only eat half. I also can't eat more than 2 tbs of peanut butter at a time at the most, it's usually like 1 tbs. I can't use too much olive oil either more than 2 tbs makes me ill. Or margarine, too much on toast makes me ill. Never mind mayo, which I am giving up anyway because I am going vegan, too much of that makes me really sick. I don't eat french fries for the same reason. Just gross. You would think with all those things making me ill if I get to much I would be thin, but no I never got thin from that. But, then I have only been a vegetarian for a little over a year. I am losing weight though, it's rather slow because my diet still needs a lot of tweaking. 

I'm no doctor, but do you get pain in the upper right quadrant of your abdomen after eating these fatty foods? Like pain that feels like it is in your uppet back, too? These are typical gallbladder symptoms, but of course could be just indigestion.

broccolichick 01-28-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasty View Post

I love avocados, but when I eat a whole one (this happens rarely, but when I have nobody to share with, I eat the whole thing) I feel nauseous. First I start losing my appetite, then I have to force myself to keep eating (I need the calories), then I just get sick. I have read that this occurs with some people who have the same problem with bananas. I have no problem with bananas or any other vegetarian food. This happens whether it's on a salad, a sandwich, or by itself. Last week I had to drink Pepto to hold down my guacamole salad. I thought maybe the restaurant had cross-contaminated my food, but today I felt like hurling after eating a plain avocado. Does anyone else experience this? Could it be too much fat for me to handle?

I've had that problem and it progressed from nausea to itchy mouth to vomiting. I also became allergic to latex at the same time and I am allergic to bananas. It's called latex fruit allergy syndrome and if you keep exposing yourself to avo's it just gets worse.

joelbny 02-14-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswol View Post

What blood type are you? If you are "0" then avocados should be avoided. Along with dairy, wheat and many other things. Coconut is also a big "no, no". Much to my disappointment! Hope this helps! smiley.gif

Do you have any references to cite for those claims?

As for wheat, the only hard evidence for any benefit from avoiding gluten is for people with celiac, irritable bowel syndrome, or gluten sensitivity, which totals only around one percent of the population displaying any benefit from entirely avoiding gluten. For most of us, whole wheat is a healthful and nutritious grain, with fiber, iron, magnesium, protein, complex carbs, etc.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/gluten-free-whether-you-need-it-or-not/

"For 99 out of 100 people who don’t have celiac — and those who don’t have a wheat allergy — the undigested gliadin fragments usually pass harmlessly through the gut, and the possible benefits of a gluten-free diet are nebulous, perhaps nonexistent for most. But not all."

As for blood-type diet, this was popularized by a nutritionist named D'Adamo and is not supported by scientific evidence:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type?page=2

"Within the diet itself are generally good diet recommendations," says David W. Grotto, RD, LD, a former spokesman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly American Dietetic Association). "D'Adamo doesn't say avoid vegetables and fruit, for example -- but his specific recommendations based on blood type -- the science is not there to support it. I'm not aware that anyone has duplicated his research."

The presumption that each blood types will thrive on certain foods but not others also gives Grotto pause. "I'm type O and apparently I should be feasting over roadkill. Well, that doesn't work for me because I don't like too much meat."

Overall Grotto does not recommend the diet, believing it pigeonholes people into dietary restrictions without taking into consideration individual needs and tastes.

Critics also refute D'Adamo's theory that there's a connection between certain blood types and specific diseases. Though the theory has been long been investigated, no conclusions have been reached, says Andrea Wiley, PhD, an associate professor of anthropology at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va."

Also see:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet#Scientific_criticism

This is as opposed to say a Vegan Diet, for which there exists copious hard scientific evidence for its numerous health benefits.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#section_3

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study#section_3

LedBoots 02-14-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswol View Post

What blood type are you? If you are "0" then avocados should be avoided. Along with dairy, wheat and many other things. Coconut is also a big "no, no". Much to my disappointment! Hope this helps! smiley.gif
That blood type diet is bunk.