Do avocados make you sick? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#61 Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 PM

You know. now you mention it... ido get sick feeling eating a whole avocado. I get like that with banaynays lol i can only handle so much. Wow thabks for asking i just learned something new about myself! I dont have a latex allergy. And avocados are easy to avoid but they are delicious and SO packed with nutrients.i think im chalking this up to : our bodies are telling us its enough. smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Yes, they make me sick....There was a time I could eat them .and I love them...Then one time I got the worst stomach after eating...no nausea just a plain old tummy ache...then it happened again....sooo I quite eating them for about 30 years....Then one day I tried a few bites then a half then one day a small whole one....and bam tummyache all day.....Interestingly , My son has the same problem....
Also, cannot drink beet juice....I tried it mixed with cherry juice and it made me so very nauseous.......I can eat them raw or cooked...tho..no problem....sad.gif
#63 Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM

I just ate a whole avocado and now I too feel sick!

#64 Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM

If I eat a large amount of raw I can get a bit icky, too much salad and I can go green!!! 

#65 Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 AM

what?! no....!

ok - last year i had this diet, and i needed to eat 1 avocado every morning

and the only reason that i passed it, was that it was organic

first i tried regular avocado

it was ok, but after week or so, i couldnt eat it no more

when i replace to organic it was much easier for me

taste good, without aftertaste or odor effects

#66 Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Despite what you've always been told, avocado seeds can be planted directly in dirt. No need for tooth picks. You get better roots this way as well. Try it yourself, and you will see that I am correct. You must be patient. Two-thirds of the seed should be below the surface. Keep the soil moist. It could take a month or even longer before the seed splits and the plant starts to appear. Again, you must be patient.

cobalamin and Thalassa4 like this.
#67 Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

If you fear fat, avocados might seem high in fat. They certainly are for a fruit but in the grand scheme of things their not that high in fat.

Thalassa4 likes this.
#68 Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 AM

interesting. the only time i feel sick after eating an avo is if it is over-ripe. I eat an avo a day. But if I eat over-ripe then I definately get a stomach ache. There are a few ways to tell...
1 if it feels really squishy then don't buy it
2 if there is brown inside ..don't eat it
3 if there is a strange smell and it was a bit too soft then don't eat it.

an avo should feel moveable when felt but not really squishy.

xo
Thalassa4 likes this.
#69 Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Don't buy over ripe avocados or avocados with soft shell or squishy. It is over ripe and you can get stomachache. I remembered when I bought avocado in the market and put in our fridge it became softer because I put it in a container. I didn't realize that the container is wet.
#70 Old 06-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Blergh.....

I have responded here but it bears repeating.
YES! avocados will make me sick followed by projectile vomiting!
Even the sight and mention of avocado makes me quesy now.
#71 Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Banned

I cut it in four pieces, peel the skin off of each slice at a time and remove mold if present.

Last edited by cobalamin; 06-12-2014 at 08:15 PM.
#72 Old 06-28-2014, 02:14 AM

I love avocado yet I do not eat the whole because I also feel bad and I experience nausea and vomit. If you fill up on avocados you may not have enough of an appetite to consume other nutrient-dense foods that make up a well-balanced diet. Although avocados are rich in carbs, fiber, dietary fat, vitamin E, vitamin K, niacin, vitamin A, potassium and folate, they are not rich in protein and lack other essential vitamins and minerals. Therefore, choose a variety of nutrient-rich foods when planning your meals – not just avocados.
#73 Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 PM

Unhappy Avocados make me sick!!

I cannot eat avocados!! I've always thought that avocados were weird (green AND creamy, smh-it just doesn't make since). However, as I grew older, I started hearing about how good they are for you and decided to give them a try. I had no idea they made me sick. The sequence went like this...
Wednesday-I ate grilled tilapia with avocado, tomato and onion (I puked)
Thursday- I ate southwestern tomato soup topped with avocado (I puked)
Friday- I ate some guacamole (I puked)

I honestly thought I was pregnant. Turns out, I just cannot stomach avocado. I just believed that because I was mentally disgusted by avocado it caused me to become physically disgusted as well. This became even more clear when I took a bite of a panini that had avocado on it. I thought it was delicious, but proceeded to become sick. When I told my boyfriend, the sandwich made me sick, he apologized for not warning me that it had avocado on it. That was my real eureka moment. I've never had any food sensitivities before. Avocado is just something I cannot eat.
#74 Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I can take (and enjoy) avacado in small amounts, particularly as guacamole, but if I eat too much, I become queasy.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#75 Old 03-10-2015, 12:01 AM
Lovable misanthrope

I could never have a whole one in one go as find them too rich, but usually have half and enjoy it

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#76 Old 03-10-2015, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriver24 View Post
I cannot eat avocados!! I've always thought that avocados were weird (green AND creamy, smh-it just doesn't make since). However, as I grew older, I started hearing about how good they are for you and decided to give them a try. I had no idea they made me sick. The sequence went like this...
Wednesday-I ate grilled tilapia with avocado, tomato and onion (I puked)
Thursday- I ate southwestern tomato soup topped with avocado (I puked)
Friday- I ate some guacamole (I puked)

I honestly thought I was pregnant. Turns out, I just cannot stomach avocado. I just believed that because I was mentally disgusted by avocado it caused me to become physically disgusted as well. This became even more clear when I took a bite of a panini that had avocado on it. I thought it was delicious, but proceeded to become sick. When I told my boyfriend, the sandwich made me sick, he apologized for not warning me that it had avocado on it. That was my real eureka moment. I've never had any food sensitivities before. Avocado is just something I cannot eat.
Hi Thriver and welcome to Veggieboards! I see this is your first post. You mentioned eating grilled tilapia so I am just curious about your plans to become fully vegetarian. I hope to hear more from you! We have a forum on VB for introductions if you are interested (when you are ready, no hurry). We do have a rule on Veggieboards that members must either be fully vegetarian or vegan or be working towards that goal.

I'm sorry that eating avocado made you so sick! I have not personally had that problem, but it looks like you are in good company here.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#77 Old 05-30-2015, 06:40 PM

It happens to me, too - organic or not.

It just happened to me again, that's why I googled it just now. Kind of relieved to know its not just me. Like you, I have one problems whatsoever with guacamole.
#78 Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Veggie Recycler

No. I love avacados and they're cheap and plentiful because I live in Southern California.

I'm wondering, like other people, if you have an allergy...or if you are combining it too much with other fatty foods. ..it may simply be the fat content weighing too heavily in your stomach, so just eat a half...or make sure you aren't eating it will lots of oils or other obvious fats.
#79 Old 11-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriver23 View Post
SAME exact thing happened to me last night in fact. Its a recent occurence for me, however, because I love avocado, and use to eat it all the time. I stopped for a while as the prices got to be so astromonical, now hindsight, I see that for the past few years, I've been fasting more than when I used to eat the avocados everyday.

Well yesterday, I realized, I hadnt eaten in about 36 hours. I decided to have an avocado since it was about to go bad in the fridge.

My stomach didnt like it at all, and was churning all over the place, I ended up throwing up. I was in bed for the rest of the night, (but that may have something to do with not getting sleep two nights in a row).

I am reading that this could possibly be a allergic reaction. Moreso, I think its just a food sensitivity if thats what it is.

Or it definitely can be the high fat content. It was a big avocado, and I ate the whole thing. Rarely do I ingest that many calories from a fruit.

I agree that its probably the high fat content. the same is true with protein shakes for me, they give me the same feeling, but not as bad.

I think the cleaner your system gets, the less it can handle. I've been transitioning to raw food, but on occasion when I go with friends, I may have a burger, or whatever. If its not organic meat, or of bad quality, like fast food, my stomach will literally churn. I never used to be like that in the past, but over time, your body gets used to whatever you give it. Like a tolerance, I guess.

Avocados are known for being a good transition food from a high fat diet. For all those raw foodist now getting sick off of them, I say the answer is related having too much of a good thing, one thing, at once. I cant get down a full serving of Vega either.

Same thing with bananas. Another food known to be used transitioning out of a  high fat diet. If you are getting sick now, probably is because your body no longer is used to all that fat.

Actually it's more likely because you hadn't eaten in 36 hours. It would have been a better idea to try broth, dry toast, crackers, a plain baked potato or a banana.

That likely has nothing to do with avacado, especially if you can tolerate the saturated fat in red meat.
Naturebound likes this.
#80 Old 11-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Gawd I HATE avocados! I hate the sight, the smell the texture, the fact that every time I tried to eat something with it my insides churn like crazy, sending bile up my throat for like an hour before I get the relief of projectile vomiting.
No, I don't eat them, but that last episode of trying one just to get the same horrid sickness comes back every time I see the word
#81 Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Avocados are good for improving and boosting the fertility. Those who are infertile they should start eating avocados.
#82 Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

^ That seems improbable, @SumitaSofat .

I used to enjoy avocados, but in the last few years something's changed and now I can't stomach them. They make me feel nauseous and my tongue and lips tingle and itch. It's very odd and unpleasant, so now I avoid them.
Naturebound likes this.
#83 Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasty View Post
This happens whether it's on a salad, a sandwich, or by itself. Last week I had to drink Pepto to hold down my guacamole salad. I thought maybe the restaurant had cross-contaminated my food, but today I felt like hurling after eating a plain avocado.
Yeah, that has happened to me, not with avocado but other things. I think the problem isn't the ingredient itself, but rather the restaurants hygiene or if they use a spice in the guacamole which makes you sick. Some spices tend to make me feel ill.

I once bought a salad (including avocado) from an open salad bar in a hospital, everything in that salad made me sick. But honestly, I think it wasn't the salad but the place it was in, a building with all kinds of diseases and germs in the air...
#84 Old 11-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Well, I know I could easily make myself sick on guacamole, simply because I'd eat so damn much of it.... LMAO
Tom and Blue Gingham like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#85 Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Well, I know I could easily make myself sick on guacamole, simply because I'd eat so damn much of it.... LMAO
Wanna know how I make quacamole?
Tom likes this.
#86 Old 11-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You didn't address this to me, and I know you dislike avocados passionately while I like them, but... yes!!

Anyway, to answer the question that started this thread: I've never gotten sick from eating a whole avocado (I usually just cut the flesh into pieces and stuff them between bread slices- one avocado usually makes me two sandwiches, which I eat then and there- the bread seems to counteract all the fattiness) but they are very high in calories/fat, so I make sure I don't go overboard with them. I can definitely see how avocado would turn some people off, with its texture and flavor.

And an unripe or over-ripe avocado would turn ANYONE off.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#87 Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Yes
#88 Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
You didn't address this to me, and I know you dislike avocados passionately while I like them, but... yes!!
#89 Old 11-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Yes

I refrain from making comments in other areas, but with a thread called 'do avocados make you sick'- that's my territory!
LedBoots and Ladyjay like this.
#90 Old 11-29-2015, 07:39 AM

I eat one a day EVERYDAY!!! I love me some Avocados, never had an issue.
MadamSarcastra likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page