VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Diets & Losing Weight (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/)
-   -   Do avocados make you sick? (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/132340-do-avocados-make-you-sick.html)

Werewolf Girl 10-15-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Avocado is plant poop!
There, I said it!

You're plant poop! So there! tongue3.gif

Marie Harding 12-06-2012 08:31 AM

Avacados are high in fat. That can cause nausea especially if you have gallbladder problems. I had my gallbladder removed and even doing so need to stay away from high fat foods. Today I am in severe pain from eating guacamole yesterday. Never again : ( You may be able to handle avacados if eaten alongside a food like rice. I've never had problems that way. Good Luck!!

vMaryv 12-07-2012 11:26 AM

If I eat too much or eat it too many days in a row, I will start to get nauseous from them. When that happens, I just lay off them for a while.

Aileen Collins 01-18-2013 09:27 PM

Avocado makes me sick. Tonight I ate less than a teaspoon. I get gut stabbing, colon twisting, stomach exploding pains. Now, my head and face are starting to itch. Mostly, I have to suffer through it. I've known for 20+ years that just a slight cross contamination will make me ill. Once a year, I try again. You know, just in case I can eat it this time and it won't make me ill. For the first time, I decided to see if there are others like me. It seems 1% of the population is allergic to avocados and this is the reaction it causes. I don't throw up, but others do. The pain lasts about 6 hours. I have a slight reaction to latex, but only if it is prolonged. I do have diarrhea after eating it. It's the only food I can't eat. It's a sad, sad allergy to have. 

Fahrenheit 01-20-2013 07:59 AM

As veggies we are used to not eat much fat (unless you eat all your veggies deep fried grin.gif) so the fast intake of fat with avocados can be too much for your stomach.

I try to eat them with tomatoes so the acidity of tomatoes "dissolves" the fat faster.

I've been allergic to avocados and eggplants for years (from 14 to 37) and I suddenly could eat them again, but they do make me sick if I'm not eating slowly and mixing with something else.

LuvsSunshine 01-28-2013 03:51 PM

I love avocado. But, I can only eat half. I also can't eat more than 2 tbs of peanut butter at a time at the most, it's usually like 1 tbs. I can't use too much olive oil either more than 2 tbs makes me ill. Or margarine, too much on toast makes me ill. Never mind mayo, which I am giving up anyway because I am going vegan, too much of that makes me really sick. I don't eat french fries for the same reason. Just gross. You would think with all those things making me ill if I get to much I would be thin, but no I never got thin from that. But, then I have only been a vegetarian for a little over a year. I am losing weight though, it's rather slow because my diet still needs a lot of tweaking. 

LedBoots 01-28-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsSunshine View Post

I love avocado. But, I can only eat half. I also can't eat more than 2 tbs of peanut butter at a time at the most, it's usually like 1 tbs. I can't use too much olive oil either more than 2 tbs makes me ill. Or margarine, too much on toast makes me ill. Never mind mayo, which I am giving up anyway because I am going vegan, too much of that makes me really sick. I don't eat french fries for the same reason. Just gross. You would think with all those things making me ill if I get to much I would be thin, but no I never got thin from that. But, then I have only been a vegetarian for a little over a year. I am losing weight though, it's rather slow because my diet still needs a lot of tweaking. 

I'm no doctor, but do you get pain in the upper right quadrant of your abdomen after eating these fatty foods? Like pain that feels like it is in your uppet back, too? These are typical gallbladder symptoms, but of course could be just indigestion.

broccolichick 01-28-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasty View Post

I love avocados, but when I eat a whole one (this happens rarely, but when I have nobody to share with, I eat the whole thing) I feel nauseous. First I start losing my appetite, then I have to force myself to keep eating (I need the calories), then I just get sick. I have read that this occurs with some people who have the same problem with bananas. I have no problem with bananas or any other vegetarian food. This happens whether it's on a salad, a sandwich, or by itself. Last week I had to drink Pepto to hold down my guacamole salad. I thought maybe the restaurant had cross-contaminated my food, but today I felt like hurling after eating a plain avocado. Does anyone else experience this? Could it be too much fat for me to handle?

I've had that problem and it progressed from nausea to itchy mouth to vomiting. I also became allergic to latex at the same time and I am allergic to bananas. It's called latex fruit allergy syndrome and if you keep exposing yourself to avo's it just gets worse.

joelbny 02-14-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswol View Post

What blood type are you? If you are "0" then avocados should be avoided. Along with dairy, wheat and many other things. Coconut is also a big "no, no". Much to my disappointment! Hope this helps! smiley.gif

Do you have any references to cite for those claims?

As for wheat, the only hard evidence for any benefit from avoiding gluten is for people with celiac, irritable bowel syndrome, or gluten sensitivity, which totals only around one percent of the population displaying any benefit from entirely avoiding gluten. For most of us, whole wheat is a healthful and nutritious grain, with fiber, iron, magnesium, protein, complex carbs, etc.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/gluten-free-whether-you-need-it-or-not/

"For 99 out of 100 people who don’t have celiac — and those who don’t have a wheat allergy — the undigested gliadin fragments usually pass harmlessly through the gut, and the possible benefits of a gluten-free diet are nebulous, perhaps nonexistent for most. But not all."

As for blood-type diet, this was popularized by a nutritionist named D'Adamo and is not supported by scientific evidence:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type?page=2

"Within the diet itself are generally good diet recommendations," says David W. Grotto, RD, LD, a former spokesman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly American Dietetic Association). "D'Adamo doesn't say avoid vegetables and fruit, for example -- but his specific recommendations based on blood type -- the science is not there to support it. I'm not aware that anyone has duplicated his research."

The presumption that each blood types will thrive on certain foods but not others also gives Grotto pause. "I'm type O and apparently I should be feasting over roadkill. Well, that doesn't work for me because I don't like too much meat."

Overall Grotto does not recommend the diet, believing it pigeonholes people into dietary restrictions without taking into consideration individual needs and tastes.

Critics also refute D'Adamo's theory that there's a connection between certain blood types and specific diseases. Though the theory has been long been investigated, no conclusions have been reached, says Andrea Wiley, PhD, an associate professor of anthropology at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va."

Also see:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet#Scientific_criticism

This is as opposed to say a Vegan Diet, for which there exists copious hard scientific evidence for its numerous health benefits.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#section_3

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study#section_3

LedBoots 02-14-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswol View Post

What blood type are you? If you are "0" then avocados should be avoided. Along with dairy, wheat and many other things. Coconut is also a big "no, no". Much to my disappointment! Hope this helps! smiley.gif
That blood type diet is bunk.

BarefootKate 02-19-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

If they always make you sick then why continue to eat them???
It's ridiculously easy to avoid avocados. I've been doing it for years.

Hahaha!

amanda09328 02-25-2013 08:00 PM

Omg that totally explains a lot for me lol. I can't eat bananas :/

thriver23 03-19-2013 05:34 AM

SAME exact thing happened to me last night in fact. Its a recent occurence for me, however, because I love avocado, and use to eat it all the time. I stopped for a while as the prices got to be so astromonical, now hindsight, I see that for the past few years, I've been fasting more than when I used to eat the avocados everyday.

Well yesterday, I realized, I hadnt eaten in about 36 hours. I decided to have an avocado since it was about to go bad in the fridge.

My stomach didnt like it at all, and was churning all over the place, I ended up throwing up. I was in bed for the rest of the night, (but that may have something to do with not getting sleep two nights in a row).

I am reading that this could possibly be a allergic reaction. Moreso, I think its just a food sensitivity if thats what it is.

Or it definitely can be the high fat content. It was a big avocado, and I ate the whole thing. Rarely do I ingest that many calories from a fruit.

I agree that its probably the high fat content. the same is true with protein shakes for me, they give me the same feeling, but not as bad.

I think the cleaner your system gets, the less it can handle. I've been transitioning to raw food, but on occasion when I go with friends, I may have a burger, or whatever. If its not organic meat, or of bad quality, like fast food, my stomach will literally churn. I never used to be like that in the past, but over time, your body gets used to whatever you give it. Like a tolerance, I guess.

Avocados are known for being a good transition food from a high fat diet. For all those raw foodist now getting sick off of them, I say the answer is related having too much of a good thing, one thing, at once. I cant get down a full serving of Vega either.

Same thing with bananas. Another food known to be used transitioning out of a  high fat diet. If you are getting sick now, probably is because your body no longer is used to all that fat.

thriver23 03-19-2013 05:37 AM

I happen to be 0 negative, and over my lifetime, have systematically given up wheat, dairy and meat, even whole grains. I wonder if that has anything to do with my blood type?

thriver23 03-19-2013 05:38 AM

After I fast, its hard to get down many foods. Avocado is definitely one of them for me.

MIGUELL 04-10-2013 04:40 AM

It may be because of allergy. I had this problem once but now I may eat even more and everything is ok, how can it be, I do not know:)

backslider 05-02-2013 01:33 PM

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I also get sick on occasion when eating avocado, Its not every time, and I like them so I take my chances. Its just strange that it happens so infrequently. Its a horrible sensation of nausea that eventually goes away on its own.It doesn't even matter the amount, and it mainly happens when I eat it on its own. I know this doesn't help, but it is a thing.

ewcollins 05-16-2013 10:47 AM

If you think that the fat in an avocado makes you sick, then try a durain (also high in fat, but better than avocados) and see what happens. If you do get sick, then perhaps the fat is behind it (or perhaps it is all psychophysiologic).

If you think that avocados trigger a latex allegy, then see if you get the same reaction with a papaya. 

wyndstar 05-18-2013 12:25 AM

hmm really glad i stumbled across this thread. i just bought a bag of avocados and got home thinking 'wtf did i buy that many for?' and then wondering if it's ok to eat a whole avocado every day for a week? lol!

I haven't noticed getting sick after an avocado but i usually eat 1/2 of it in a smoothie (on occasion) and i bought the bag because i saw a delicious hummus/avocado wrap recipe that i thought sounded awesome for lunches.

so perhaps my idea of eating 1/2 for breakfast and 1/2 for lunch is not a great idea. i'm gonna have to pay attention to my body tomorrow after i try it and see what kind of reaction i get.

La Grenouille 05-18-2013 03:48 PM

I always buy avocados by the bag. My son (6) eats a full one by himself, but I can't. I just don't like them that much.

So what I do is make this huge bowl of guacamole and freeze it in small bowls, pushing a plastic-wrap on it to make the air go out, and then covering the bowl. When I want some guacamole, I put it 20 seconds in the microwave, take what I need, and restack it in the freezer.

khadijah 09-26-2013 09:58 AM

yeah I had to have my gallbladder taken out, I dont have an problems eating them but have not had them in a long time. They are hard to find here.

jenniedelarosa 09-29-2013 11:06 PM

Avos are bomb !

oatmilk 09-30-2013 01:18 PM

I love avocado, but I will admit that they are extremely rich. I can eat half at a time, but more than that and I get a queasy feeling in my stomach. I usually eat two avocados a week and have never felt the worse for it. And this might all be in my head, but since I started eating avocados so regularly my skin's improved immensely - breakouts are rare and its always soft and hydrated - and my hair's gotten thicker and shinier. 

Pshtodin 10-03-2013 01:26 PM

I just eat half avocado. You don't have to eat it all, just put it in a tight container and eat it the next day, I do this all the time! Never felt sick eating it btw.

tim2478 10-11-2013 09:44 AM

How is it going so far? I have always been curious about this diet, but just never got around to try it. 

Om Shanti 10-28-2013 04:49 PM

Depends on how its prepared. I tend to get a little nauseous when I just cut them in slices and put them straight on a sandwich or something. (Though I didn't realize the connection til I saw this thread lol) But I can eat guacamole by the container lol.

Sparkina 11-04-2013 12:38 PM

I can digest avocados just fine and I love the durn things (I'm a lacto-ovo, so I eat them with melted cheese on a sandwich -- DIVINE!!!!!) but NEVER eat one that isn't ripe. YOUR TASTE BUDS MAY NEVER FORGIVE YOU!!!!! :( Unripe avos have this disgusting bitter taste that clings to your mouth for a good while, polluting your taste buds so that everything you eat has that revolting taste.:spew: 

Blue Kali 11-13-2013 01:59 PM

Oh no. Sorry to hear they make you sick. sad.gif I think you may simply be allergic to them. I like to eat avocado every once in a while. Especially in my morning smoothie. Yum!

cobalamin 12-22-2013 11:42 AM

Only if it is unripe. Unripe avocados contain a natural insecticide and fungicide known as persin.

smokingisnotcoo 12-31-2013 06:33 PM

Avocados go bad fast. Should be soft...almost squishy.If you feel air pockets when you squeeze it you can throw the thing away before you cut into it. Avocados have an enzyme that oxidizes super fast. Brown or black on the inside...you cannot cut around.that either. Don't even risk it