Vegan low carb breakfast foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Beginner

So my wife and I are trying to start a new low-carb diet. She's type 1 diabetic, so we're going to try to help control her BS levels by diet as well as with insulin. I am a carboholic and overwieght and am trying to use this diet in concert with an exercise routine to create healthier habits for myself. Anyways, I was wondering if any one had any ideas for good low carb vegan breakfast foods? Lunch and dinner is pretty easy to plan for, lots of beans and stuff, but I'm at a loss planning for low carb vegan breakfasts. Anyways I would welcome any advice you all had. Thanks a ton.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Beginner

If you can plan your lunches and dinners, you can plan your breakfasts. Too many people get caught up in "traditional" breakfast foods, but these are only traditional to your culture. There's nothing wrong with having vegetables and beans for breakfast.

Still want your traditional breakfast foods? Protein powders can be low in carbs (just read the labels, they all vary) and many come in fruity flavors. Try getting banana or strawberry, adding in 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter, ice and water. The fruit and peanut butter mimic the flavor of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but are much lower in carbs. Need a brand name? I know that one you can find pretty much anywhere is the GNC brand of soy protein (25g protein per scoop, something like 3-5g carbs per scoop). If you don't want soy then there are many other options...I only offered up GNC because I know they're everywhere.

Prefer chocolate? Try adding banana protein powder, 1-2 tablespoons nut butter of your choice, brewed and chilled coffee/espresso, water, cocoa powder, and ice to a blender for a "chunky monkey mocha." They're really tasty! If you need more sweet, add in stevia (sugar-free and all-natural sweetener).

Tofu scrambles are also a good idea even if you're not low-carb. I used to eat eggs for breakfast all the time so I will make these occasionally (I don't really use tofu...too much of it upsets my stomach but if you're okay with it then go for it). Saute diced scallions (aka green onions, they have a lower sugar content than their big sisters), garlic and mushrooms in vegan butter or oil. When soft, crumble in extra firm tofu (as much as you'd like). Cook until the tofu takes on some color and then add in chopped spinach. Cook until the spinach has just wilted, then serve. I like to hit mine with some garlic powder, pepper, onion powder and a little soy sauce, but that's up to you.

Low carb breads and wraps are available in many places, and you can have a to-go veggie wrap or smear yours with a nut butter and some fruit (sugar-free jam exists but I really hate to recommend it since it's loaded with fake ingredients).

Hope this gives you a few ideas! Oh, and to anything sweet (including the smoothie I recommended), add in cinnamon...a good amount. Cinnamon helps balance blood sugar, plus works as a thermogenic for you (helps your metabolism).

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page