Are grits healthy for you ? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Beginner

So I have been struggling with weight loss (as you all have seen from my previous posts) and ive been eating an excess amount of grits lately. Obviously moderation is important but i thought grits were a food that was good for you. my friend says they aren't good for you. what say you all?

Image by emailrober via sxc. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Beginner

If grits are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

If grits are wrong, I don't want to be right.

word there. I think grits are pretty healthy, just do eat too much. and watch what you put in them.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#4 Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginner

If you add butter to grits that is probably not too healthy.p

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Corn is fed to farm animals to fatten them up. Grits are not something I would say are healthful. However, they aren't the worst thing one can eat!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Not really.

"Grits, which are uniform fragments of kernels of corn that have had both the bran and the germ removed, are significantly less nutritious than some other cereals, like oatmeal."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/sc...rue-grits.html
#7 Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Grits aren't all that good for you, especially flavored with butter/cheese, etc. Instant grits are even less nutritionally-dense, as delicioso pointed out.

Oatmeal on the other hand is excellent and you can get healthy instant oatmeals. The nutritional profile of instant oatmeal isn't significantly different than the slow-cooking types. Most of the difference is in the texture. You can flavor oatmeal with spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, etc. and if you want it sweeter, you can add honey, agave nectar, or Truvia to cut down on calories. Sugar-free Torani is also great for flavoring instant oatmeal, or a spoonful of Polaner sugar-free jam. Or you could stir in some Fiber One cereal. Or some dried fruit and/or chopped nuts, though dried fruit and nuts are both best in small doses because dried fruit is high in sugar and nuts are high in fat. Good for you in small doses, but bad in large doses.
#8 Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

"Grits, which are uniform fragments of kernels of corn that have had both the bran and the germ removed, are significantly less nutritious than some other cereals, like oatmeal."

Oh yeah, I was gonna say if they haven't had the germ and bran removed they are probably fine, but if not, you aren't getting many vitamins or minerals from them, or as much fiber.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Corn in general isn't especially healthy, which isn't to say it's unhealthy. I usually think of it as a side to something else (ex: arepas with breakfast).
#10 Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Beginner

Grits are ok in and of themselves - but if you're adding 3 tablespoons of oil as you indicated in your previous post, that makes them pretty high in fat and probably doesn't add much to the flavor. Try cutting down to 1 or 2 teaspoons (or none!).

Mixing it up with other grains is a good idea, too. You could try bulgur wheat or quinoa. I'm not sure if you're eating them for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but you could try fruits or veggies mixed in too. A sprinkling of nuts or seeds (not too many as they're also pretty high in fat) on top would give a nice crunch.
#11 Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Quinoa is KING!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Beginner

hmm...that sucks i eat a lot of grits.

oatmeal is okay, not my favorite unless it has some sugar in it

ive only had cous cous (how about that? ) once and i think ive had quinoa once. the cous cous was prepackaged/premade and delicious but it was vegetarian not vegan. it was mushroom flavored or something.

i have no clue how to cook them. what are some recipes that actually taste good that are very quick, easy, and dont require too many ingredients?
#13 Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyvegan View Post

hmm...that sucks i eat a lot of grits.

oatmeal is okay, not my favorite unless it has some sugar in it

ive only had cous cous (how about that? ) once and i think ive had quinoa once. the cous cous was prepackaged/premade and delicious but it was vegetarian not vegan. it was mushroom flavored or something.

i have no clue how to cook them. what are some recipes that actually taste good that are very quick, easy, and dont require too many ingredients?

Quinoa > couscous.

Google both, you will find tons of healthy recipes for both.
#14 Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Beginner

Quinoa is kind of new to me, but I just got some hot cereal that is quinoa flakes - it cooks in the microwave in about 2 minutes and is quite good! I had mine for breakfast with about a tablespoon of brown sugar, cinnamon, a pinch of salt, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds (similar to what I would do for oatmeal). Whole quinoa is good to eat on its own or as a replacement for rice or other grains.

You said you also add 3 tablespoons syrup to your grits - if you add that to any other hot cereal, I bet it will taste good too! If you don't like regular oatmeal, you might try steel cut oats, which have a very different texture.

Couscous is good and quick to make, but is usually made with white flour so it's lower in fiber. You can find whole wheat couscous, though.

Do you have a rice cooker? Rice cookers are great for cooking all these grains. I use my rice cooker for oatmeal, bulgur, and quinoa in addition to rice and rice dishes.
#15 Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't say grits are really good or bad. Grain is grain, and the purpose of grain is to act as cheap sustenance to a society that would probably be otherwise unable to feed its masses. You can certainly eat grits regularly and be healthy, but like others have said, be careful what you add to it. If you drown it with sweeteners (sugar, hfcs, honey, agave nectar, etc), or low quality oils/fats, then it will be bad for you. If you only put healthy stuff in it, then it's basically a cheap source of carbohydrates just like it was intended to be.

Like RunnerVeggie, I prefer steel cut oats. Grits or instant oatmeal only seem good to me if I add a bunch of garbage to them, but steel cut oats are less mushy and have sort of a nutty flavor that is good with less modification (though they take 15min to 30 min to cook as opposed to just a few minutes).

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#16 Old 12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I wouldn't say grits are really good or bad. Grain is grain, and the purpose of grain is to act as cheap sustenance to a society that would probably be otherwise unable to feed its masses. You can certainly eat grits regularly and be healthy, but like others have said, be careful what you add to it. If you drown it with sweeteners (sugar, hfcs, honey, agave nectar, etc), or low quality oils/fats, then it will be bad for you. If you only put healthy stuff in it, then it's basically a cheap source of carbohydrates just like it was intended to be.

Like RunnerVeggie, I prefer steel cut oats. Grits or instant oatmeal only seem good to me if I add a bunch of garbage to them, but steel cut oats are less mushy and have sort of a nutty flavor that is good with less modification (though they take 15min to 30 min to cook as opposed to just a few minutes).

About the only differences between steel cut and rolled oats (besides price) are texture and the amount of time needed to prepare them. The nutritional profiles are virtually identical. People should try both and see which one they like better.

Personally I like both but I usually use instant oatmeal (i.e. rolled oats) for convenience.
#17 Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Beginner

for your recipes try http://foodgawker.com just search the ingredients, and repost if you need help veganizing them.
#18 Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Banned

i would say that grits are the corn equivilant of white flower. so you're not eating whole. then on top of it you're adding fats. so you're essentially concentrating calories.

if you eat whole foods and avoid all fats, you'll lose weight without worrying about how much you eat. dean ornish and caldwell esselstein (cardiologists) have written excellent diet books that should be some help to you. i'd highly recommend reading these. good luck to you.
#19 Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Beginner

I love hot cereal and there are so many options to try that are both healthy and more apt to keep you from getting bored. There is whole-grain wheat or rice farina, steel cut oats, oat bran, quinoa, whole-wheat cous cous, buckwheat, barley, and even a lot of multigrain cereals. The brand Bob's Red Mill makes a lot of tasty ones. You can change up what you mix into them, adding different kinds of fruit or nuts, and trade butter/margarine for nut butters. One of my favourites these days, is steelcut oats, prepared in my rice/veggie steamer. I add almond milk, raisins, chunky PB, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground flax and chia seed. All the ingredients are healthy (most of them organic) and I am full for hours afterward. It's definitely happy belly food.
#20 Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Beginner

to the person who asked if i had a rice cooker. um no. i live in a dorm the only thing i have outside standard plates, bowls, a pot, and a pan is a blender. a tiny pathetic excuse of a blender at that. and a huge one that i hate lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page