Is Falafel good or bad if trying to lose weight? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM

I'm currently trying to drop a few kilos but I noticed I have been eating a lot more falafel than usual. Which makes me worry as I have heard it can actually not be great for you, but I wasn't sure. I would love it if someone could shed some light on this for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM

losing weight is about calories in vs. calories out.... so it can't be good or bad for losing weight, you just have to account for it the calories in the falafel.

That being said, isnt falafel usually fried? oils are fats, more calorie dense, so be aware of that.
#3 Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah&me' date='13 July 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1279071145' post='2673367 View Post

losing weight is about calories in vs. calories out.... so it can't be good or bad for losing weight, you just have to account for it the calories in the falafel.

That being said, isnt falafel usually fried? oils are fats, more calorie dense, so be aware of that.

This. It's probably good every once in a while but not super often if you're counting calories.
#4 Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks for that, I will keep that in mind for how often I eat it. I once made it myself and it seemed to be a lot more oily than when I buy it from the store, but I'm pretty sure the store bought one is fried as well.
#5 Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM

If you make it yourself you can always bake it instead of frying it.
#6 Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
#7 Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Well, not only do you have the fried falafel, but you have the tahini sauce, which is fatty as well; and hummus, which is also fatty (50% of calories from fat for your average hummus). So you've got a type of legume prepared multiple ways, salt, oil, wheat/grain, a type of seed, and then probably some nonsweet fruits like tomatoes and cucumbers all trying to digest in your stomach at once.

You might not gain weight, but I'd definitely try to eat a baked one if you do eat it.
#8 Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the info Penny. I don't actually eat my Falafel with anything, no sauces or dips anyway, usually just some by itself becuase I love the taste so much. I will certainly keep all this in mind though and see if I can find any baked ones.
#9 Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post

I'm currently trying to drop a few kilos but I noticed I have been eating a lot more falafel than usual. Which makes me worry as I have heard it can actually not be great for you, but I wasn't sure. I would love it if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Falafels are made of 7 beans which are high in fibre. If you buy them frozen and make them yourself either baked or deep fried in a nonsaturated oil such as peanut oil or canola or vegetable oil combined with cabbage/carrot coleslaw filling on whole wheat pita bread they are good for you filling and guaranteed to shed the pounds. Foods rich in fibre such as cabbage, carrots, beans, grapefruit produce the melanin to burn fat cells.
#10 Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM

I bake my falafel.

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03...afel-sandwich/

Edit to add, I just noticed tis an old thread that got bumped.
#11 Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Well lucky me, then...I've been wanting to make my own falafel and would prefer baking to frying.
#12 Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The alternative is to fry them with a small amount of the 1 calorie olive oil spray. I use it all the time, and a bottle lasts for ever.
#13 Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Everything in moderation, will help you lose weight without going overboard (aka binging) :p

#14 Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 AM

I make homemade falafel on a semi0regular basis and I always bake it instead of fry it. Then I take the leftovers (if there are any) and freeze them so I have ready-made falafel available when a random craving hits. Lately, I have been eating a falafel patty on a big salad, dressed with salsa and just a drizzle of tahini, which I find to be very filling and much healthier than fried falafel in a pita with all the sauces.

#15 Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah&me View Post

Aye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page