Vegan trying to lose weight. Advice? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Beginner

I have been a vegetarian for 5 years, now vegan for one year. I am 17-years-old and well over 200 lbs. I'm 5'8". I have been overweight all my life, and now it's time to make a change.

I didn't lose any weight when I went vegan. I drink a lot of Diet Coke, have a weakness for french fries, don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies (yes, I know. Weird.), eat a ton of carbs, and don't exercise often. I know, I'm unhealthy so obviously there's hope. But I don't know how to make a good change. What are the right foods to eat? What is a healthy meal plan like? How do I exercise and how often?

Being vegan, it's not like I can just follow a weight loss plan obviously. And I really can't find an ideal workout plan. Should I go to the gym? What do I do there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Banned

Hmmmm, eat only healthy foods? Since going vegan I'm constantly shedding fat and becoming more lean, slowly but surely. I eat whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, less of soy, tofu and a tiny bit of plant oils and avocados, nuts and seeds.

It may be hard to let go of junk foods like french fries and pure garbage drinks like sodas, but if you eat pure, raw, good foods I think you'll easily shed fat. Even 1-2 lbs a week. I eat as much food as I want, it's AWESOME.

Just by eating good, whole foods you will lose weight guaranteed. No crap saturated fats and other garbage from the fast food, no sugar and high fructose corn syrup from soft drinks and other sugary things. High protein, fibre, calcium, iron and vitamin/mineral rich foods are the way to go. How do you choose these foods? No white carbs, go whole grain and multi grain. Any vegetable is good for you, fruits too, legumes (beans and lentils and such). As other alternatives, pick up some tofu, some soy milk. For your fat intake (fat is important, yes) try to intake less fat, but make it good fats. Mono and Poly fats, omega-3 and omega-6. Some examples are: cooking with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkling hemp seed over salads, eating an avocado, a handful of almonds, a tsp or two of flax seed oil mixed into drinks or a glass of water.

As for exercise, you don't have to kill yourself. Go for a walk each day to start out, 30 mins. Try to gradually get the walk to an hour each day. I suggest walking because most people find jogging painful if they start out of the blue. if you feel your ankles can handle jogging, maybe jog 15 mins, walk 15? gradually (over weeks) get that to 60 mins.

Don't pay for the gym, waste of money IMO, I've done gyms etc, just workout at home. To start out, cardio (jogging, walking, biking, any sports - basketball etc), push ups, sit ups, squats!, plank, maybe buy cheap weights (don't spend a lot of money, just like $10-30), and do free weight exercises. Look up exercises on youtube or other websites.

If you feel like you want a challenge, try P90X, one on one with tony horton, or Insanity, but they are a little advanced. I recently started P90X, I love it. Maybe try getting P90? I heard it's the prequel workout to P90X.

Your goal here, cdes, is to be a HEALTHY vegan, not just vegan. Healthy, rich, vivacious foods! Cardio, get the blood pumping, use that excess fat as fuel. Tone your body, work your core and extremities, make yourself feel alive!

Good luck on your journey to losing weight, keep us updated.
#3 Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Beginner

^^pretty much what he said LOL. I've found that starting off my day with raw food is great! Try making a quick smoothie with fruits, spinach..maybe toss a little ground flax in there. Or even have 2-3 pieces of fruit for breakfast. I'm getting in the habit of having 2pieces of fruit at once. It keeps you fuller a bit longer and after a little time I've been craving fruit. Last night, the snack I wanted was an apple (smeared with cashew butter..) Another thing is to start looking for ways to make things cheaper. If you have access to a few small appliances you can make your own nut butters, soymilk and seitan-type things. That way they're fresh and you know what's going in them.

In general though, when you snack, start grabbing veggies or fruit. It's okay to have more servings of fruit than the food pyramid says. They're much healthier for us than any meat or meat by-product we could eat ANY DAY.

In your post too it seems like you know what is healthy and what isn't. You mentioned diet pop and fries as your downfalls. So start finding alternatives. Example: start increasing your water intake. If you can handle strictly water at once, get some flavored water packets...There's Crystal light, tea2go (they have lots of good flavors). Start using those since they generally at least have some vitamin C and stuff. Overtime, decrease the amount of flavor you put in. After some time you won't like the sweetness of the flavors or diet pop. With a few weeks or month you should be able to get rid of the diet pop. This is something I've been working on for quite some time.

For the fries: I would suggest picking up a bag of potatoes and make your own fries. Much cheaper that way too! But, slice them up thin or thick, however you like them. I usually toss them with a bit of olive oil and then bake for about 20mins at 400. They come out nice and crispy and fills my need for fries. If you want a TREAT..(I'll do this once in a while) put some vegetable oil in a pan and pan fry them. But this is NOT recommended! This way should be viewed as a treat and only done once in a while. Example: say you make fries baked 2x/week, that's 8x/month. So 1 of those times, maybe fry them. Or just bake them and if you like them that way..stick to it.

Carbs aren't necessarily bad. If you find you're eating simple carbs (white bread, pasta, flour and rice) Start replacing them. The easiest is bread to whole grain. And whole wheat flour. Brown rice and whole wheat pasta is a bit of a change, but with time you'll get used to it. I know sometimes people will mix 1/2 and 1/2 white and brown for a while. Then slowly decrease the white and increase the brown (whole).

Just start making little changes. This doesn't need to be a rigorous schedule. Start finding ways to pick better choices. Do some research. Decide that you want brown pasta or something healthy but you aren't sure if you'll like it. Search the web for a recipe that you'll really like and then make it. It's the little changes over time that will add up and build consistency.

A healthy meal plan could be:

Breakfast:

A few pieces of fruit

or a fruit smoothie, a green smoothie

or a piece of fruit and a whole grain such as oatmeal, or whole wheat toast.

Snack before lunch: piece of fruit and maybe some sliced veggies. If you want also add a little nut butter or make(or buy) hummus

lunch:

a nice salad. a serving beans (could put those on top of the salad or put in a whole wheat tortilla)

Get creative. Incorporate lots of veggies and a bit of protein in this portion.

snack before dinner: a piece of fruit or 2. Some sliced veggies..

dinner: Kinda the same as lunch: Lots of fresh veggies, a bit of protein. maybe a complex carb of rice or pasta with some veggies thrown in.

Snack: something small that you really want. Whatever it is have a portion of a treat. If you're feeling hungry have a piece of fruit or veggies.

start drinking more water! Eat things that you enjoy. Don't eat something just because it's healthy, but you don't like it. If you don't like it then you're not going to keep up with it. For bad habits start finding ways to decrease them. Whether it's weaning, cutting it off. Then find a healthy alternative.

As far as exercise: no need for a gym. KrisMTL's advice is very sound and you won't go wrong! Do some more research. Find an exercise that you enjoy. Walk..rollerblade, bike ride, swim, tennis, soccer..whatever it is. Do something you like and you'll stick with it.
#4 Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Hi! I think you already know you should eat more fruits and veggies, so I won't lecture you on that. As for the carbs....carbs aren't bad in and of themselves. It's the refined carbs that put on the weight. Donuts, white bread, a lot of dried cereal, cakes and cookies, ect. And also, most of those foods also have high fructose corn syrup which makes it doubly bad for you. Try eating more whole grains. Bake what you can at home and switch to whole grain pasta, cereal and bread (without high fructose corn syrup!). If you do eat something with refined grains, pair it with something with protein and/or a low-glycemic food (basically anything besides sugar, grains, and white potatoes).

For getting more fruits and veggies, you could try green smoothies. You can easily get 4 fruits and veggies into 1 16 oz drink. My usual one consists of 2 cups of greens, 1 banana, and 1/2 cup of berries. If you freeze the banana (peeled) and berries the night before, your smoothie will have a nice frozen texture without having to add ice. I wash my greens and then blend them first with some almond milk, then add the frozen fruit. You can't even taste the greens, I swear!

The more you eat the fruits and veggies, the more you will like them. So start making them and having them with meals. Even if you don't fully enjoy them, eat what you can. You'll be surprised how normal it seems and how much more you will eat after a time. And eventually you may not even consider a meal a real meal without something green in it!

I started out 5'2" and 176 lbs. I've lost almost 20 lbs in the last 4 months. Here's my typical day:

Breakfast soon after I wake up (it's important to start fueling asap)- Either a green smoothie, hot cereal with fruit, or just a bunch of fruit.

Snack (I need one usually only and hour or 2 after breakfast and that's ok, it means my body is burning the calories I'm giving it!)- Celery with PB, Almonds and carrot sticks, or broccoli and dip, ect.

Lunch- PB Sandwich on whole wheat bread, cut fruits and veggies, and a little treat (fruit leather, small scoop of soy ice cream, yummy crackers, ect). Or leftovers.

Sometimes I need a snack in the afternoon, sometimes not. But I do try to keep it healthy.

Dinner- I have 7 or 8 different meals I eat regularly, but they all include plenty of protein and veggies and usually a grain. Examples: Chili w/lots of tomatoes, spaghetti (whole wheat) with white beans and zucchini, a big protein packed salad, anything with lentils (shepherd's pie, tacos, lentil loaf, sloppy joes), curry, stir-fry, soup, and black bean burgers.

I try to stop eating 3 hours before bed, but if I NEED something to eat I keep it very, very light. A few bites, just so I'm not waking up hungry.

I used to have all sorts of problems because I was eating too many high-glycemic foods (sugar, refined cabs, and potatoes) and not many good things. My blood sugar would crash almost daily and I would end up eating everything in sight to feel better. Eating more whole grains fixed that problem almost overnight. High glycemic foods are used up too quickly and raise your blood sugar and then drops it quickly, making you feel hungrier and hungrier. Lower glycemic foods stay with you longer.

Also, I feel super hungry if I don't get enough fat. My diet is fairly low in fat so I have to consciously add fat back into it in order to feel satisfied. I eat a little PB every day, sometimes add flax seed to my smoothie or cereal, and cook with healthy oils.
#5 Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

Hi!

Congrats on wanting to make healthy changes, the benefits are amazing, you can do it just stick to it!!!

It is great that you are young, even if you have been overweight most your life, making changes now will be the foundation to a healthy long life.

Some tips on starting off this amazing goal:

-keep a food journal/log/diary. write down what you eat everyday, it helps to include times and portions too. this is helpful in putting your food choices into perspective and to see where you can make healthier choices.

-find a weight loss friend. have any friends that are in the same situation? maybe a family member, neighbor, shoolmate, even on online buddy is helpful. studies show that people lose weight effectively when they use a team or buddy system.

-move move move. walk as much as you can everyday, 2,000 steps minimum, a pedometer is not too expensive and logs how many steps you take.

-drink a lot of water. water is my number one weight loss tip, carry a bottle around and drink it all the time. adding a little lemon or ginger is nice for a change and healthy.

do you shop and cook food for yourself? are you living with your parents?
#6 Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Beginner

I highly recommend the book "Eat to Live" if you are looking for a specific 'plan'. I used to be an overweight vegan and it changed my life.
#7 Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Beginner

Eat less food...

Fizzy drinks will make you a fatty no problem, they should be the first thing to go. Try walking places instead of driving etc. If you're not into physical activity.

For a forum full of hippies, this place sure does repress my freedom of speech.
#8 Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =) View Post

Eat less food...

No way, I don't think you have to eat less food at all. I think you should replace chips [fries, whatever!] and bread with potatoes instead if you really want the starchy/carby type of food - quinoa is also a good replacement because it's kind of comfort food-y but it's really healthy and fills you up for hours. I sometimes have it for breakfast and I tend to eat less on those days. Possibly just coincidence.

Stock up on veggies a few times a week if you can so that you ALWAYS have fresh foods in the house and won't be tempted to go and buy ready made junk from the nearest takeaway. Just have as many healthy foods around you as possible. =)

Walk everywhere, take the stairs instead of the lift, maybe buy some free weights or something... I'm not the best person to advise on fitness. =P

Good luck!

EDIT: If you like herb or fruit tea, drink lots of that! Stops me wanting to eat out of boredom and it kind of feels cleansing...? Just my opinion, though!
#9 Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Beginner

You know that everything you listed is a problem. This tells me you know what you need to do and that you simply don't want to do it the "hard way." When it comes to improving your diet you have to just do it. There's no magic fix. Once you eat better for a few weeks you'll feel so much better that you won't want to stop.

Add one servings of fruits and one serving of veggies to your diet every week until you get up to 5-9 (total) servings a day. Cut down on diet soda. Try herbal tea, iced tea, iced coffee, or make your own lo cal lemonade or limeade (lemon juice, water, and stevia is what I use).

You should definitely go to the gym if it's an option. Start with cardio twice a week for 20 minutes. Then do three times a week the next week. Then bump it up to 30 minutes a session. 3x 30 minutes is the minimum cardio you should do for weight loss and health, it's up to you how you want to increase it from there. You might do 45 minutes three times a week, or 30 minutes four times a week. You'll also want to start doing some basic weight training. There are tons of resources on the internet for that.

Work on one meal a week too. Your first week start with breakfast. If you currently eat sugary cereal switch to a healthier one or oatmeal. You can even go half healthy cereal, half less healthy cereal for your first week. Cut one unhealthy thing out of your diet each week but let yourself have one "treat" a week. It can be a serving (a small) of french fries, soy ice cream, whatever you want but keep the junk to that one serving.
#10 Old 05-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Additionally, if you are looking for a substitute for your diet sodas, try seltzer water mixed with 100% fruit juice, or water with citrus for flavour. If you like tea, try drinking different kinds of teas, hot or iced. There is a lot of variety, especially when you include herbal teas. Just try to keep them lightly or unsweetened. One of the best ways to sabotage weight loss is by drinking your calories. Artificial sweeteners trigger your body to hold on to fat, so the more you can avoid them, the better off you will be.
#11 Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Wow, people beat me to it. FRESH RIPE RAW Fruits and vegetables, honey. Fruits have the good carbs you need. Limit any bottled items (oils, salts, vinegars, syrups/sweeteners, drinks other than water and unsweetened iced tea) and packaged/dried items (grains, nuts, seeds, legumes) and processed items (soy/tofu, prepared boxed or frozen "foods", jarred foods, etc.).
#12 Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Beginner

I agree with pretty much everything everyone else said. When I first went veg*n, I gained weight 'cause I ate a bunch of cheese pizza and Oreos. Not good. I didn't even think I liked most veggies 'cause my family were very "meat-and-potatoes" and we rarely had veggies outside of green beans and iceburg lettuce. But after tweaking my diet to include mostly fresh, unprocessed foods and exercising I've been able to lose 50 lbs. I still have some more lbs. to lose, but I know it will happen in time.

Like someone else mentioned, exercise at home! I've never gone to a gym in my life and there's no need to! I much prefer to flail about in my living room where no one can see me look like a complete idiot while I get my sweat on. And I get to shower at home! The whole public shower at the gym after a workout thing really grosses me out. As was mentioned, Power 90 is a great at home workout. I got it for my fiancee who was over 300 lbs. when he started it and after just 2 weeks he's @ 299. He's sore, of course, but it's totally do-able for someone who's never really worked out. If you'd have any questions about it, let me know and I can ask him. The same company also has quite a few other beginner workouts. I used Turbo Jam for a large majority of my weight loss. There's a lady in the video that lost 70 lbs. doing it. She's got incredible abs now and you'd never guess she had ever been 70 lbs. heavier.
#13 Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Beginner

I agree with pretty much everything everyone else said. When I first went veg*n, I gained weight 'cause I ate a bunch of cheese pizza and Oreos. Not good. I didn't even think I liked most veggies 'cause my family were very "meat-and-potatoes" and we rarely had veggies outside of green beans and iceburg lettuce. But after tweaking my diet to include mostly fresh, unprocessed foods and exercising I've been able to lose 50 lbs. I still have some more lbs. to lose, but I know it will happen in time.

Like someone else mentioned, exercise at home! I've never gone to a gym in my life and there's no need to! I much prefer to flail about in my living room where no one can see me look like a complete idiot while I get my sweat on. And I get to shower at home! The whole public shower at the gym after a workout thing really grosses me out. As was mentioned, Power 90 is a great at home workout. I got it for my fiancee who was over 300 lbs. when he started it and after just 2 weeks he's @ 299. He's sore, of course, but it's totally do-able for someone who's never really worked out. If you'd have any questions about it, let me know and I can ask him. The same company also has quite a few other beginner workouts. I used Turbo Jam for a large majority of my weight loss. There's a lady in the video that lost 70 lbs. doing it. She's got incredible abs now and you'd never guess she had ever been 70 lbs. heavier.
#14 Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Beginner

I think you have to focus on both food and exercise to lose weight. From what I've read, food has by far the biggest influence on weight-loss - but from personal experience, I shed pounds a lot more quickly if I'm exercising. Right now, I'm doing Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred about 3 days a week. I walk my dog for about 40 minutes every day. I also try to do a short 20-min yoga video a couple times a week, since I know that flexibility is one of my weak spots. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't...walking the dog is kind of incidental and lifestyle-related. I only "work out" (ie. put on my "I'm exercising now" attitude and turn on the 30-Day Shred or a yoga DVD) for about 20-25 minutes a day 5 times a week. It's really doable and not overwhelming.

For food, I actually don't worry too much about protein. I don't eat soy or meat analogs unless it's a special occasion; soy gives me hives if I overeat it. I do try to incorporate nuts, seeds, legumes and whole grains every day, so I don't think that I have to be concerned about protein.

Here's my typical eating plan. With exercise thrown in, I'm losing about 2 pounds a week and I'm never hungry (well, I am right before I eat, but you know what I mean). I eat well over 2000 calories a day, but that could easily be lessened by having smaller portions.

- green smoothie for breakfast (1 cup of frozen berries, 1 cup of OJ, handful of spinach, tbsp of ground flax seed)

- bowl of oatmeal for mid-morning snack (large flake oats, raisins, cinnamon, honey, berries, almond milk, tbsp of chia seeds)

- lunch: bowl of lentil soup, slice of whole-grain bread, fruit (usually a whole fruit - an apple, a banana or a grapefruit). Sometimes, I'll have a bean burrito and some fruit instead of the soup.

- supper: bowl of veggie stir-fry, fruit (usually cut fruit in a bowl - pineapples, berries, papaya, mango, whatever I happen to have around the house)

- snack (1-2 hours before bed): bowl of muesli with a cut-up banana and almond milk OR toast with nut butter and honey

If I need a special treat, then I'll make a chocolate shake, with raw chocolate syrup (I buy this at the health food store - it's made of raw cacao and agave), a banana, a cup of almond milk and a handful of ice. Oh my, it's sooooooooooo delicious.

Find some really easy recipes that you love, make a big pot, and you've got meals for a week. Yeah, I know most people only keep leftovers for 3 days, but I'll eat them for five days, which gets me through the week. Then I'll make some new stuff on the weekend. Every weekend, I make a pot of lentil soup and one other dish (usually a stir-fry). Lentil soup is the easiest thing in the world! All you need are red lentils, vegetable stock (I use the cubes), water, garlic (I use 3 cloves, but you can use more or less depending on your personal feelings about garlic), an onion, a bit of olive oil and then veggies of your choice.

Easy lentil soup:

- Heat up about 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add minced garlic and chopped onions and sautee for a few minutes.

- Add about 6 cups of water/stock and the rest of your chopped veggies.

- Add 1 cup red lentils. Bring to a hard boil. Sometimes I'll also add some quinoa to give it a different texture.

- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if it starts to look too dry. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Here are some of the veggie mixes I like in my lentil soup:

- carrots, turnips, parsnips

- carrots, celery, green beans

- tomatoes, carrots, dried apricots, ginger (this one's good with some indian spices added)

For stir-fries, it's pretty much the same idea. Sautee some garlic, ginger, onions. Add veggies of your choice (I love stir-fries with broccoli, cabbage, carrots, red pepper, mushrooms and a handful of plain almonds). An easy quick stir-fry sauce is 2(or 3) parts soy sauce to 1 part sesame oil with some honey added in to taste. Mix these three ingredients and then pour them over your veggies. Then you can toss your veggies with brown rice, quinoa or whole-grain noodles. So healthy and delicious!
#15 Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Everyone has pretty much said what there is to say, but I just wanted to offer my support! I know it can be super hard breaking the addiction to sweet, salty, fatty foods, but once you start eating healthier your taste buds will adjust.

Also, I highly recommend journaling... not just what you eat, but write down how you feel when you reach for food. Are you bored? Sad? Excited? Identifying these "triggers" to eating can be helpful in tackling the mental side of weight loss.... half the battle, if you ask me!

I lost 90 pounds a few years ago (started at 220), gained some of that back with a twin pregnancy, and have lost 30 pounds again. It's totally do-able!

You are strong and awesome.
#16 Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Oh, and I totally forgot to mention Dr. Neal Barnard's bood "Breaking the Food Seduction". While it is more geared toward those eating the Standard American Diet, it has a lot of useful tips for conquering cravings for anyone.
#17 Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Beginner

Throughout my weight loss journey, I've come to realize that the best way to lose the weight is to eat real food. Michael Pollan says it best. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants". Go for unprocessed stuff as much as possible. Eat when you're hungry. Don't eat when you are not.
#18 Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Great advice here already! have any more questions?

B4 my weding i went to the gym (man i think i still pay a membership too lame) anyhow, it was cool sure BUT since my wedding i purchased workout videos (i love the 10 minute solution videos, and Beach body stuff) THESE i was motivated to do, no one was looking at me i can pick which ones and work with 20 minutes to an hour or more depending on stamina and time constraints..

Do you have dogs? Curious cause if you do make it a habit to go for a 30 minute walk a day minimum.. We all get so busy we forget that playing in the same old yard or house is boring. Take them outside not only are you enriching the animals quality of lifebut YOU ARE WALKING! and getting excersise too! killing two uh... items on your list with one... un pencil? (hows that for a twist on a typic phrase.... lame i know)

As for eating i WAS diet coke junkie and i AM A salt fiend.. Interestinly enough i cut the booze (Crown Royalwas my poision) and cut the soda. Bam cold turkey , i replaced it with iced tea and at the time v8 (which i know is not veg*n and no longer consume any...) Find a beverage of your choice preferable NOT CONTAINING Apartame but hey - work with what you can..

Salt and me we are best buds, but i have found that A - i didn't need to eat half the salt i did to cease the craving. I also found good multi grain lightly salted crackers as an alternative and while i was learning (this was all b4 my conversion to the right - lol i mean light side) i spent a bit more to get single serving packages and spent a week journaling and calorie counting i was sure hungry the first couple days but my tummy moved back to an appropriate size and now i get a tumnmy ache if i gorge..

For cracker and chip and candy replacements i found some great vegan all natural dehydrated fruits and veggies! they are delish!

Anywho.. I would concur you need to up the fruits and veggies, get your body moving (anything is an improvement from nothing (= )when you are eating refined or processed foods (cerals breads etc.) watch your servings only have one serving of cereal or cracker or whatever then make the rest fruits or veggies! You'll be amazed how quickly your body tells you "thank God (or the Gods)".

i now have more of a sweet tooth (totally weird for me i have never in 23 years craved a single sweet item.. EVER) BUT sweets don't fix it the fruit does!

Here's what i do and its a work in progress

AM: Green smoothie (with a pinch of vegan protien powder added)

Snack: fruit or veggies or crackers.. or a single serving of cereal and soya milk

Lunch: a hearty salad (i AM actually addicted to these) a sandwich.... etc.

Snack: more veggies or fruit!

Dinner: here's where i get most protien and grains/carbs and again add some sort of veggie....

I thought i would get board but i get excited i can't wait to eat all the yummy goodness!

Peace and love and good luck on your journey!

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#19 Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Beginner

It could be noted that when people cut out processed foods and ALL salt (I mean ALL) and only consume natural sources of sodium (melons, tomatoes, celery, greens), some report looking like they lost 5 lbs. within a week's time of water retention.
#20 Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Beginner

that is a wonderful point! My father after cutting out soda, lost 6 lbs that month

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page