14-year vegetarian craving chicken...why?? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Hello... I have been a vegetarian for 14 years (though I do currently eat fish, so I know most of you won't call me a "vegetarian"). I eat no red meat, poultry, pork, etc and haven't for 14 years. I used to not eat fish, either, but was unable to get proper nutrition (though I tried) so I eat fish (less often than I used to) now. Recently I've been having pretty intense cravings for chicken. This has happened once before and eventually went away. I'm sure I can wait it out this time too, but my question is - what on earth could be making me crave chicken? Is there something I'm missing? I consider myself to have a fairly balanced diet - I'm an organic farmer, so during the season it's all fresh veggies, my own eggs, local organic milk, etc...in the winter I freeze a lot of my own stuff. I eat cheese and tofu and beans and all that goodness. I don't like to eat processed fake meat type stuff. I don't eat fish often but occasionally. So - is there anything specific in chicken (I can't think of anything) or could I possibly be just not getting enough iron or protein?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Beginner

Sounds like you aren't getting enough calories from fruit. You didn't list fruit at all.

No, chicken's flesh has nothing magical you're missing, nor does fish flesh.
#3 Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Beginner

Sometimes I think I crave meat, but really I'm craving the sauces/spices that meat is cooked in. Grilling up a delicious meaty portobello mushroom burger with garlic, basil and oregano, or some sautéed Morningstar Farms chicken strips really helps me out with cravings. I agree with penny, there is nothing special in chicken that your body has to have that you can't get elsewhere.
#4 Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

After 14 years you'd think you'd have forgotten what it tastes like, lol

But I don't see how being deprived of protein or iron would make you crave chicken. Maybe you subconsciously are making the connection with chicken as a source of iron and protein, thus craving it. What's your sex and age? I can let you know how much iron and protein you should be getting and then you can make an assessment after reviewing what you currently eat.
#5 Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmary View Post

what on earth could be making me crave chicken? Is there something I'm missing?

maybe, maybe not. i think its more likely to be just a chemical process in the brain that triggers a memory, that in turn triggers a yearning for something we used to do. much like out of nowhere we suddenly begin thinking about an old friend, or a partner, or things we did as a kid.
#6 Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I have been a vegetarian for 14 years (though I do currently eat fish, so I know most of you won't call me a "vegetarian"). I eat no red meat, poultry, pork, etc and haven't for 14 years. I used to not eat fish, either, but was unable to get proper nutrition (though I tried) so I eat fish (less often than I used to) now.

So are you here because you intend to stop eating fish and become a vegetarian again?

I no longer post here after the 2012 schism and exodus. (See my profile.) 

#7 Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

So are you here because you intend to stop eating fish and become a vegetarian again?

Posted exactly what I was going to.
#8 Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hello... I have been a vegetarian for 14 years (though I do currently eat fish, so I know most of you won't call me a "vegetarian"). I eat no red meat, poultry, pork, etc and haven't for 14 years. I used to not eat fish, either, but was unable to get proper nutrition (though I tried) so I eat fish (less often than I used to) now. Recently I've been having pretty intense cravings for chicken. This has happened once before and eventually went away. I'm sure I can wait it out this time too, but my question is - what on earth could be making me crave chicken? Is there something I'm missing? I consider myself to have a fairly balanced diet - I'm an organic farmer, so during the season it's all fresh veggies, my own eggs, local organic milk, etc...in the winter I freeze a lot of my own stuff. I eat cheese and tofu and beans and all that goodness. I don't like to eat processed fake meat type stuff. I don't eat fish often but occasionally. So - is there anything specific in chicken (I can't think of anything) or could I possibly be just not getting enough iron or protein?

Thanks!

Aside from the fish thing (you can't post here unless you're trying to quit fish, vegetarians don't eat fish), there is little iron in chicken. It's not a healthy source of protein and if you're eating beans, cheese, tofu, greens, fruits, and grains, you're probably getting more than enough protein. It's most likely in your head. About 1 year into my vegetarianism, I thought I was craving chicken... until I had some. It wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it. It's no different than craving sweets.

Quorn is a great chicken substitute, try that I know you don't like the processed fake meat, but it's a lot healthier than real meat (that includes fish).
#9 Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Yeah... Pending the fish issue (as DKS said, this is a board for vegetarians or people who want to become vegetarians)...

I'd say this: "I'm craving!" ≠ "My body needs to have!"

I currently am craving chocolate. REALLY badly. This does not, in any way, mean I need it. I'm not, you know, Vitamin Cocoa deficient (not matter HOW badly I wish that were a legitimate medical condition...)

So if I were you, I'd enter my food into an online food/fitness tracker - like fitday or calorie-count or whatever - and see if you're deficient in any vitamins. I'd make sue I was eating plenty of raw fresh, ripe fruits and greens. I'd take a multi-vitamin, maybe some B12. I'd find some good subs, like Gardein. If I felt something was "wrong" (and I mean WRONG, not just having a craving) I'd have bloodwork done.
#10 Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Vitamin Cocoa deficient

I don't care what science says, it's a real problem. Make sure you're getting enough chocolate so you don't end up on your death bed!
#11 Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I don't care what science says, it's a real problem. Make sure you're getting enough chocolate so you don't end up on your death bed!

Word.
#12 Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I thought there was some science that suggested that chocolate is high in magnesium and cravings can suggest that your body needs more, especially (as women) during your period when magnesium levels are lower.
#13 Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Chocolate is awesome
#14 Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Beginner

Why don't you just eat some fake chicken? There are lots of different brands, and that would probably satisfy your craving. Anytime I'm craving something from the past, I just make/eat a veg. equivalent and it works out great. Also, make sure you're getting enough protein- are you eating beans, tofu, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, etc? Also- pleease don't hurt the fishies
#15 Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I currently am craving chocolate. REALLY badly. This does not, in any way, mean I need it. I'm not, you know, Vitamin Cocoa deficient (not matter HOW badly I wish that were a legitimate medical condition...)

I think it is.
#16 Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Chocolate is awesome

Totally Awesome

peace out!!
#17 Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

I used to not eat fish, either, but was unable to get proper nutrition (though I tried) so I eat fish (less often than I used to) now. Recently I've been having pretty intense cravings for chicken.

!

are you craving a certain kind of chicken? like fried, grilled, tenders, bbq? usually the cravings are more associated with the way the animal is prepared and cooked, if you crave fried chicken, bread an eggplant and fry that baby. chicken tenders are easy, go get some fake nuggets at tj's. examine what this craving really is for.

also im curious as to what kind of nutrition you gain from fish that you were not getting as a vegetarian?
#18 Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I'm 22 and haven't eaten any meat except fish since I was 10, but last year I kept craving steak... I've never even eaten steak and didn't like beef so I have no idea what was going on.

I wouldn't worry. It's highly unlikely you'll be deficient in protein. I reckon the cravings will disappear but yeah, if it's the taste/texture you're after, maybe just have some fake chicken to shut them up. [The cravings, I mean...]
#19 Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Beginner

I"ve been finding that lately I want the texture and richness of meat but I don't want the actual meat. I'm going to make seitan soon (gotta get the yeast..) Especially when I saw recipes for setian stew..that's what I want! But I just want the rich taste of warm hearty bowl of stew. If someone handed me a bowl of beef stew, chicken and even FISH..I wouldn't eat it.

Sometimes cravings can mean deficiencies..I mean you eat fish because you can't get enough nutrition....which is odd-so maybe you are lacking something? Common issues: iron, b12, calcium...although as pointed out chicken isn't high on the list for those....but you've only made one post so something tells me you're not sticking around even though there's 50,000members here that are able to get adequate nutrition without eating fish of any kind......... sorry if that seems mean, but you've been a "vegetarian" for 14 years, I think you can handle this.

Oh and I will definitely be using the "vitamin cocoa deficiency" from now on!!
#20 Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleythegreate View Post

I thought there was some science that suggested that chocolate is high in magnesium and cravings can suggest that your body needs more, especially (as women) during your period when magnesium levels are lower.

i read that too. in any case, i consider it to be brain food. a happy brain makes for a healthy body. i don't care whether it makes sense or not. please hand over the chocolate!

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page