Almost Vegetarian Gourmet? Personal Chef Services - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM

I was driving the other day and was passed by a car that was covered in ads for "almost vegetarian gourmet" personal chef services. I was very intrigued and went to their website, www.almost-vegetarian-gourmet.com and they're right. It's not vegetarian. They use stuff like fish oils and shrimp.

I was wondering...how much good does that really do? I wonder how many people there are that aren't veg that want to reduce their meat intake enough to use a personal chef. And it's not usable by vegans or vegetarians. Why wouldn't they just go all out and be vegetarian? That way at least they could pick up on the veg market and also be an option for those omnis just looking to reduce.

The "about" page talks about the fact that it is hard for most people to be pure vegan or vegetarian. Why wouldn't the company try to help them out and go full veg to offer them another option? Do people really have that hard of a time being KIND OF veg that they need someone to help them out?

The FAQ also has what I believe to be some false info... They talk about how a vegetarian diet is inherently low carb and vegetables have less carbs than meat. Now I don't know the full carb content of meat, but I doubt that! And I know that a veg diet CAN be low carb, but wouldn't the most natural form be pretty reasonably carb-y? They didn't cite anything or give any evidence, so I wonder how they came up with that.

Anyway, I just saw it and wanted to bring it up. I know that every little bit helps, and if they're helping people reduce their meat consumption, great, but it just seems a little odd to admittedly be "almost veg." Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Kiz

Makes me want to start up "Almost a Virgin Birthing Services" for pregnant ladies who are "almost virgins". That site won't load for me.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Banned

Its very difficult for some people to make a statement and lifestyle choice that would set them apart from their social network. Saying 'I'm cutting down on my meat intake' is completely acceptable to most people but stating 'I'm a vegetarian' is making a very bold statement for some people and many are just not up to the task of being made fun of, having their beliefs questioned etc etc.

What this company is doing is making it 'ok' to be a meat reducer without making the full jump to vegetarianism. Their webpage makes it 'ok' to think that its too hard to be a vegetarian.

This company is also now free to serve whatever food they like to their customers without having to follow a strict 'vegetarian' guideline. This makes it much easier for them and also protects them from lawsuits around vegetarians for religious reasons or food allergy reasons as they fully state up front they aren't vegetarian.

#4 Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 AM

Do they offer really vegetarian (vegan) food as an option?
#5 Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Not sure what is almost vegetarian about their menu planner:

http://almost-vegetarian-gourmet.com/MenuPlanning.ASP

But they seem to be claiming that because they will fry your meat in one tablespoon of butter mixed with two tablespoons of canola oil, as opposed to three tablespoons of butter, lard, or bacon grease, this means they can call their cooking approach almost vegetarian.

http://almost-vegetarian-gourmet.com/AboutUs.ASP

I don't call three tablespoons of a canola oil-butter mixture "far less fat" than four tablespoons of butter either.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 11-17-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Its very difficult for some people to make a statement and lifestyle choice that would set them apart from their social network. Saying 'I'm cutting down on my meat intake' is completely acceptable to most people but stating 'I'm a vegetarian' is making a very bold statement for some people and many are just not up to the task of being made fun of, having their beliefs questioned etc etc.

I totally get that part, and I still don't see why the company wouldn't just go full vegetarian. If you're an onmi too scared to tell people you want to be a vegetarian, you could still eat your regular meals and substitute some with a full vegetarian personal chef service. They'd be getting the same effect, and real vegetarians could use the service too. I just think it's odd.

It's like they're saying "Yeah it's hard to be veg, but we won't help you try to do that. We just help you do a slightly better version of what you're already doing."
#7 Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Do they offer really vegetarian (vegan) food as an option?

From their menu planner, it seems that they will substitute something for the fish or shrimp, but who knows about oils and other stuff.

I doubt they would cater to a vegan diet, since it doesn't say anything about that and most of their stuff is pretty dairy heavy. But there's where the value would be, I think. If it was truly a vegan personal chef service that was reasonably priced, I know I would think about using it! That would be nice for parties or just nights when you want a break from cooking.
#8 Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 AM

Was this in LA by chance?
#9 Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 AM

I can't get the site to load, but I don't understand how they could make any money from this. Omnis aren't going to be all that interested and they've cut real vegetarians out completely.
#10 Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I can't get the site to load, but I don't understand how they could make any money from this. Omnis aren't going to be all that interested and they've cut real vegetarians out completely.

I disagree, there are so many people out there with more money than sense and in a lot of places, it's quite fashionable to be a "vegetarian".
#11 Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

I disagree, there are so many people out there with more money than sense and in a lot of places, it's quite fashionable to be a "vegetarian".

Hm, I suppose if I was a dumbass healthfreak omni and I still believed that vegetarians ate fish, this whole thing wouldn't seem like such a bad idea...

It just seems so counter intuitive to me to cut out such a huge part of your customer base.
#12 Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:

It just seems so counter intuitive to me to cut out such a huge part of your customer base.

Yep, but hipster niche markets such as that are ripe for fleecing.
#13 Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:

http://almost-vegetarian-gourmet.com/HomePage.ASP

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

http://almost-vegetarian-gourmet.com/HomePage.ASP

Really it could be worse. It's not as bad a turducken-based mobile food biz for sure, just not as good as we do is all.
#15 Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Yes it could be worse, but I think it is clear that they are leaving much unsaid, and their idea of "vegetarian cooking style" is almost meaningless. Still, they aren't going to bring the "movement" down or anything.

It'll be kinda funny though when people start joining here who cook their meat in plant oils "vegetarian style".

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

It'll be kinda funny though when people start joining here who cook their meat in plant oils "vegetarian style".

They will come here ignorant and leave educated, or we've failed.
#17 Old 11-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

Was this in LA by chance?

Nope. Northwest Ohio actually. Where it's definitely not trendy at all to be vegetarian (except MAYBE some of the college crowd, but I highly doubt that's what the company is trying to target since college kids are broke.)

That's part of the reason why I think this is so odd. How many wannabe-vegetarians can possibly exist in a non-urban part of Ohio?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page