What is better for me? (sport that's easy on the knees) - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Beginner

I'm sorry I don't have time to introduce myself, but I'm jumping into this topic because...well, I guess I'm impatient with myself.

Okay, I've just been recently discouraged in running for my school's Cross Country team because of the condition of my knees. The jarring motion of running just isn't good for them. However, I don't want to give up on all sports together. I'm asking if anyone knows of a sport that doesn't jar the knees, or is known for "taking it easy" on the joints of the leg?

Here are some sports that I love, but am not sure about how they apply to the "taking it easy" concept. I'm wondering if you could give tips on whether or not I should consider doing them more often:

> Ice skating (if I learn just a little bit more balance, I could start into Figure Ice Skating)

and

> Swimming

Any opinion/advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Beginner

I would say swimming would be an excellent choice for you because it's less stress on the joints overall, but will still give you some cardiac exercise.

By the way, welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Beginner

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for your answer! ^_^

I've been considering swimming for a while now, and I've always loved the water. My school has a swimming team, but not a swimming pool... I don't know where they go to practice, but if it's far from home, that proves to be a problem by lack of transportation. Either way, I will stand on what you've said, and hearing it from someone else helps in many ways. Also, I have some big ponds up around my house that are always good for a nice swim, and so I would always have somewhere to practice, while ice skating proves to be a lot more difficult. I guess swimming fits better into my schedule, anyhow.

Thanks again!
#4 Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Beginner

I know you've pretty much made up your mind; this may help seal the deal:

http://www.aquasphereusa.com/fitness.html

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Beginner

Krissy, do you have a pre-existing knee problem?
#6 Old 07-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Thanks for that link, Amy SF! That really did seal the deal. ^_^

Oh, and to nixona: When I was in 3rd grade, I broke my right knee, and have had problems since. However, in the past year, those problems have seemed to subsided. And my left knee is suspected to have some kind of default... some kind of dent that sometimes causes my knee to lock into place. So I think swimming is my best bet.
#7 Old 07-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Beginner

skating is the way to go. do yourself a favor and start on hockey skates from the get-go.
#8 Old 07-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Oh man... I'm going back and forth now... Heh...

Well, that link really told me a lot about swimming. Can you tell me, skanky, whether you're sure ice skating isn't rough on the knees? I really want to know, for even if I don't pursue ice skating as a sport, I would like to do it often. I just don't want to end up killing my knees.

Thanks. ^_^
#9 Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Walking is good.
#10 Old 07-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Beginner

I'd have to vote for swimming or bicycling. Jogging is very high impact and that lends one to point to the obvious that walking can be a high impact physical activity too. Not nearly as strenuous on the joints as jogging, but I would prefer bicycling over walking just because it's a more fluid motion. I'm a bicycling fanboy, but if you're really looking for low impact FLUID motion (as mentioned in the last sentence, hehehe) then go swimming! You won't have to buy a bicycle or need to repair it, and the cost of a membership to a local pool will more than pay for itself when you start feeling sooooooooo good =)
#11 Old 07-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Beginner

I agree with all the recommendations for swimming, but you might also consider trying some things to support/recondition your knee too. (I'm not sure if that's possible, since I don't know what the specific injury is, though).

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 07-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop86 View Post

Jogging is very high impact and that lends one to point to the obvious that walking can be a high impact physical activity too. Not nearly as strenuous on the joints as jogging, but I would prefer bicycling over walking just because it's a more fluid motion.

I'm just like to point out the obvious that the anatomy and physics of walking is radically different from the anatomy and physics of jogging. Weight is transferred evently from one foot to the next in a continuous fluid motion.
#13 Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Beginner

Try swimming.

Breaststroke, however, is notorious for aggravaiting existing knee problems. I would stay away from doing that stroke, if possible. If you do join the swim team, it might be good to focus on technique first, since that will help your knee gain strength, and lessen the chance of injury. Your knee problems can still be aggravated with swimming if you don't have good technique.

However, if you have good technique, you will find that your knee will get stronger, and that activities which are medium and high impact will have less of an effect on your body since you will have more muscle to stabalize, cushion, and strengthen the joint. I suggest you start right away!

There are summer swim leagues finishing their seasons right now. You can see what it is like. They also tend to have more work on technique than school swim teams.
#14 Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Beginner

I also vote for swimming. NO IMPACT at all.
#15 Old 07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Beginner

yeah, skating won't impact your knees. If fact it'll do good for strengthening them and giving them more flexability. The only knee injuries I've ever heard of on the ice have been from freak incidents of people crashing into the boards. But then again, that's only been in instances of playing contact hockey. Swimming is great for all around your body. Why not try both? Seems to me both are inexpensive.
#16 Old 07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Beginner

SWIMMING!! hydrotherapy and swimming are often recommened for patients recovering from knee surgery/knee problems. Of course, this is at a certain stage of the rehab process. Check with your doctor to make sure swimming wouls be ok for you. You can also ask your doctor about how other sports might affect your knees.

Swimming is the only "no-impact" sport that exists. Every time your foot lands when you are running, it sends a shock of pressure up through your leg and knee. In swimming your feet never hit the ground, so there is no impact on your knees.

Swimming is an amazing activity to take up. No matter how old you get, or what injuries you have (within reason), you will always be able to continue swimming. even if u had a sprained ankle, you would probably be able to continue swimming gently.
#17 Old 07-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Beginner

What about bicycling? Bicycling is often used for knee physio, isn't it?
#18 Old 07-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Beginner

what is the problem with the joints?

it may be a good idea to talk to a physical therapist and see if there is an exercise regime that you can do that will help strengthen the muscles that support your knees. I know that my husband rehabbed himself from some pretty severe knee injuries (from cross country training for ten years) with weight lifting. Later, he regained the appropriate flexibility by adding in yoga with his weights. Now, he runs again--though not with as much training as before).

it may be a good idea to discover what is wrong with your joint (the way you walk, jar, or move on them no matter what) and relearn how to do these things while strengthening th emuscles around.

in swimming, people often 'flick' their legs through a kick, which can injure the knees. Be mindful of that.

i know nothing of ice skating.
#19 Old 07-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Beginner

oh, and eliptical machines are often considered low or no impact running machines.
#20 Old 07-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Beginner

I recently had a knee injury and rollerblading (maybe similar to iceskating) proved to be impossible for me to do while my knee was still injured. My doctor said he wasn't surprised because it puts alot of strain on the knees. Anyway the only exercise I was able to do was swimming, and cycling (but not at first).

Sorry about you injury.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#21 Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Beginner

Bike!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page