VeggieBoards banner

Athletic diet recommendation request

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveW 
#1 ·
As of late I have encountered that I am heavily under the recommended amount of protein I should be consuming each day. I currently weigh about 80 kg (175lbs) and should actually weigh about 95 kg (210lbs) for the sport I do. That is the typical weight for the type of cycling that I do. Because cycling is a lot of cardio, I have been told by numerous knowledgeable sources that I need to consume double my body weight in grams to get to the weight I need (160g or protein per day). I was looking for some recommendations on foods that are high in protein to try to get to that number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

#2 · (Edited)
Nice to meet another David here!

This is quite a bit of protein. This may or may not be easy to get, depending on how much you're eating. How many calories do you consume?

Beans, other legumes, and tofu are rich in protein. There are also vegan protein powders, extracted from peas, rice, hemp, or soy.

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I did look into beans and found black beans to have quite a bit that I didn't realize. I will look into others but it is a good base to start from.

I think the amount of calories you're consuming is more important.

I'm presuming you burn a hell of a lot of calories on your bike which gives you a great opportunity to literally eat as much as you want if you're looking to gain weight.

160 of protein is too much, particularly when you're not even looking to build muscle.

Smash the carbohydrates in and don't worry about protein too much, just make sure you eat some beans/tofu etc most days and you'll be fine.
It is true that I do tend to burn a lot of calories and at the same time I have a fairly quick metabolism which makes it kind of difficult for what I do. Even though I am a cyclist I should have clarified that I am a short distance cyclist (I only race for a max of 2 minutes at a time) so being super skinny isn't as important to me. I do need to put on 5kg to 10kg of muscle to be more competitive.

#3 ·
I think the amount of calories you're consuming is more important.

I'm presuming you burn a hell of a lot of calories on your bike which gives you a great opportunity to literally eat as much as you want if you're looking to gain weight.

160 of protein is too much, particularly when you're not even looking to build muscle.

Smash the carbohydrates in and don't worry about protein too much, just make sure you eat some beans/tofu etc most days and you'll be fine.

#5 ·
I lift weights and am actively looking to build muscle so I get between 150-200 grams a day. The easiest way to get more protein is with protein powder. I use a mix of green pea and brown rice protein, which combine to make a complete protein source. If your looking to get protein from food only, white beans have the most protein of beans, green peas, mushrooms and asparagus are all high protein veggies, and hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds are high protein "fats". Seitan has a lot of protein, and so does nutritional yeast.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.