I run... I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter... but I run - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Beginner

So the above is totally true and I did rip it of tumblr but oh well. I am doing my 1st 5K on the 27th and I know I can run 3.1 miles but I am sooooo slow, like 30min lol. What are your best tips to get faster?

Also so I have this habit of singing while running.... the people on nearby treadmills don't hear me but they see my lips moving (I am barely singing outloud), and I just don't know if I should be pushing harder because that means I am going at way too easy of a pace or if I should only be at this pace for my long runs, or if it is completely fine. Its weird I know, but I just get into the songs. Right now I am running 3X a week, spin class 2X a week btw.

Also after I do my 5K I am taking off a week of running (jogging) then going to start training for a half marathon!

Last thing: anyone ever harm a toe and still run the next day, what was the outcome?

the truth resists simplicity- John Green

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Beginner

I recently got back into running as well. When I was on the cross-country team, we would alternate between long-runs (30-50 minutes) and work-out days which were usually repeats of 400s, 800s, or 1000s on the track or on a hill or maybe a tempo run. We always did a warm up (~800-1000m) and stretching first and finished with 8 "strides," short 100m sprints that I think are supposed to reduce lactic acid or something. On work-out days and race days, we also did a 15 min warm-up after stretching and a 15 min cool-down before strides.

I would say to lose the treadmill unless you like it. I hate the treadmill and feel like the pace is much faster than it says it is and would much rather run on a trail. If you can, find someone or a group to run with at about your level. I would say that singing while you run is probably going to decrease your performance since you are really supposed to be taking deep breaths but on a long-run you shouldn't be going all-out anyway, just don't do it during a serious race or a work-out or time-trial.

I recommend gradually increasing your running to get to the point of 5-7 days a week and doing the alternating long-run and work-out days but listen to your body and do not injure yourself by going into it too quickly and intensely. I often substitute a work-out day with an easy long-run if I am feeling stiff and achy. Also, make sure to stay hydrated and consume enough calories after you work-out so you have enough energy for the next day.

As for the toe question, I do not really have any experiential advice but I say stay on the safe side. I guess it depends on what the "harm" is.

Britt314 likes this.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#3 Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Beginner

That's quite a visual! tongue3.gif!

Bet I run slower than you! 

hump.gif < Thats me running!

#4 Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

I am pretty slow. I used to be much worse at running but improved with time. I may have pushed myself too hard though. I eventually beat the running standard for joining the Canadian Military, yay! They don't have physical standards anymore though (for joining). I am probably the same as you in terms of speed, possibly worse. I was just bad at running like ever since I was a child.

I never hurt my toe but one of the heads of the Stoic school (I forget who) stubbed his toe and then killed himself by holding his breath :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt314 View Post

So the above is totally true and I did rip it of tumblr but oh well. I am doing my 1st 5K on the 27th and I know I can run 3.1 miles but I am sooooo slow, like 30min lol. What are your best tips to get faster?

Also so I have this habit of singing while running.... the people on nearby treadmills don't hear me but they see my lips moving (I am barely singing outloud), and I just don't know if I should be pushing harder because that means I am going at way too easy of a pace or if I should only be at this pace for my long runs, or if it is completely fine. Its weird I know, but I just get into the songs. Right now I am running 3X a week, spin class 2X a week btw.

Also after I do my 5K I am taking off a week of running (jogging) then going to start training for a half marathon!

Last thing: anyone ever harm a toe and still run the next day, what was the outcome?

#5 Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajswara View Post

I recently got back into running as well. When I was on the cross-country team, we would alternate between long-runs (30-50 minutes) and work-out days which were usually repeats of 400s, 800s, or 1000s on the track or on a hill or maybe a tempo run. We always did a warm up (~800-1000m) and stretching first and finished with 8 "strides," short 100m sprints that I think are supposed to reduce lactic acid or something. On work-out days and race days, we also did a 15 min warm-up after stretching and a 15 min cool-down before strides.

I would say to lose the treadmill unless you like it. I hate the treadmill and feel like the pace is much faster than it says it is and would much rather run on a trail. If you can, find someone or a group to run with at about your level. I would say that singing while you run is probably going to decrease your performance since you are really supposed to be taking deep breaths but on a long-run you shouldn't be going all-out anyway, just don't do it during a serious race or a work-out or time-trial.

I recommend gradually increasing your running to get to the point of 5-7 days a week and doing the alternating long-run and work-out days but listen to your body and do not injure yourself by going into it too quickly and intensely. I often substitute a work-out day with an easy long-run if I am feeling stiff and achy. Also, make sure to stay hydrated and consume enough calories after you work-out so you have enough energy for the next day.

As for the toe question, I do not really have any experiential advice but I say stay on the safe side. I guess it depends on what the "harm" is.

I guess I'll go to the track nearby and do my speed workouts, it's finally staring to look like spring near me so I will be outside for the majority of runs hopefully. Today was the first outside run since really starting to run and my lungs were killing me and my eyes were tearing up so bad but it still felt like a good none the less. I was definitely was not singing today haha I think I might have starting doing that out of boredom being on the same ole treadmill. Thank you for advice!

#6 Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Silva: So your a turtle in PB too? Lol I am glad I am not the only one.

Cato: I know I will improve with time too, I just get impatient sometimes. Good job on your improved fitness, I am sure that test is something to be proud of the military usually is pretty tough on people! And I never really hold my breath when in pain so that's good, I am going to prove my weirdness even more and admit that I usually start laughing when something really hurts.

#7 Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Beginner

Running rocks !

I'm into marathons mainly, and semi marathons, just because there is so many of them, for charities or pure advertisment, like virgin or sainsbury.

Its kinda cool to be among the best ones while wearing a veggie t shirt. There are also vegan runners groups but its too official for me.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ https://www.eff.org/ https://www.torproject.org/

http://www.enigmail.net/  http://www.openbsd.org/  https://www.ixquick.com/

http://www.opennicproject.org/ https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#8 Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

Thank you. I kinda liked running after a while. It was calming. Regarding the Stoic, he held his breath on purpose so that he could end his life. It was like: I hurt my toe, that's it man, that's it :) 

Weirdness is good, although if I saw someone laughing while in pain I would probably walk away lol J/K

You are not slow btw, your speed and endurance is probably way better than the average young woman. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt314 View Post

Cato: I know I will improve with time too, I just get impatient sometimes. Good job on your improved fitness, I am sure that test is something to be proud of the military usually is pretty tough on people! And I never really hold my breath when in pain so that's good, I am going to prove my weirdness even more and admit that I usually start laughing when something really hurts.
Britt314 likes this.
#9 Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Beginner

Me too.  For me, 10 minute mile is a pretty fast pace.  I am more comfortable running 11 or 12 minute miles!  But I can do hills pretty well.  I always hear people say that they can't run hills, or that hills are so hard, but I find them not very difficult, it is speed that makes me exausted!  I can be running 12 minute miles, 0% incline, 5% incline, even up to 8% incline pretty well comfortably without getting very winded, but bump the speed to 9.5 minute miles at 0% incline, I get winded REALLY fast! 

I grew up hiking.  I used to hike in the backwoods of the Ozark Mountains.  For years I did that.  I can hike 10-15 miles up and down hills in a day, no problem ans still have energy left over to cook dinner and clean the house.  But running a 5K in 30 minutes, whoa, that is pretty rough!  I can do it, but it is rough.

For myself I have been trying to get faster by doing interval training on the treadmill.  I run 6.0mph for 1 min, then 5.0mph for 2 minutes, and do this for 30 or 40 minutes.  I vary it day by day.  Some days it will be a "pyramid" effect, where I build up speed until the middle of the workout, then slow back down, some days I fiddle with the incline adjustment.  But I was always told, to run faster, you have to run fast.  For me at least, improvements in running speed have been VERY slow.  I started running last October (6 months ago) and when I started I was only able to jog 4.5 mph for 30 minutes.  Now I can run 5.5mph for 30 minutes.  It just takes so long to get faster, it sucks!

#10 Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Beginner

I am just getting back into running too! I started again in about December 2012. I find that I regularly need to take walking breaks when I am running because I am so incredibly unfit right now. But I am gradually building up my endurance, and I am finding that I can go longer and longer each time before needing to slow down for a walk. It's great to see progress :)

#11 Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegSingleMum View Post

For me, 10 minute mile is a pretty fast pace.  I am more comfortable running 11 or 12 minute miles! 

Me too. When I'm really in shape then I run a 10-11 minute mile. When I'm out of shape, tired, or pushing a jogging stroller then I'm a 11-12 minute mile runner.

#12 Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Beginner

interval work and distance running will improve your speed. also, with any other sport, the more running you do the more efficient your running economy will become.   the last 2 years i just focused on training for marathons, while mostly ignoring 5k, 10k and half marathons.  this summer i'm going back and doing those races and wow, what a difference.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page