Fitting exercising into your day? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Beginner

Hi there!

Was wondering how ya'll find time for fitness each day? I go to school full time, work full time, and raise two kids, so time is not exactly plentiful, (except the hour I dedicate to VB on Sunday evenings lol).

This may be an odd one, but at work during the day, everytime I go to the ladies room, I do Taebo moves! I bet it pisses the secretaries off because I'm hogging the bathroom but I'm keeping my tummy nice and firm!

I also like to do various yoga, karate, and dance moves while cleaning.

Anybody else find little ways to sneak in exercise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Beginner

Actually, I'm in a very similar situation. I go to work from 6AM to 3:30PM, and on my two 15 minute breaks I ride my bike as hard as I can around the area. I also occasionally do a little bit of cycling after eating lunch if I have any time left. Of course, when I get home around 4:30, I can fit some exercise in most of the time, but during the summer it was incredibly hot here until it got very late.
#3 Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Beginner

I usually just wake up really early before anyone else so I can sneak out to the gym. Have you considered buying some free weights and a treadmill for at home? That way when you're at home watching the kids, you can still get in your exercise while they're watching tv or something
#4 Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOolong View Post

Actually, I'm in a very similar situation. I go to work from 6AM to 3:30PM, and on my two 15 minute breaks I ride my bike as hard as I can around the area. I also occasionally do a little bit of cycling after eating lunch if I have any time left. Of course, when I get home around 4:30, I can fit some exercise in most of the time, but during the summer it was incredibly hot here until it got very late.

I think that's really cool. Wish I could bring a bike to my place of employment but I work around radiation and welders...... don't wanna trip over that stuff, lol.
#5 Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I usually just wake up really early before anyone else so I can sneak out to the gym. Have you considered buying some free weights and a treadmill for at home? That way when you're at home watching the kids, you can still get in your exercise while they're watching tv or something

I do my yoga in the morning and as much as I can during the week in the evenings. No room for treadmill but might try the weights thing. Thanks!
#6 Old 10-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Beginner

I've got a long list of integrated circuit routines that can be done in 10 minutes, cause sometimes time is definitely not on my side, and not exercising is not an option For example:

Burpees * 60 seconds, pull-ups * 60 seconds, squats * 60 seconds, pushups * 60 seconds, and then repeat for 45 seconds, then 30 seconds, then 15 seconds. All done in succession with no breaks in between exercises.

10 minutes that will kick your arse that can be done in a hotel room on the way from the bed to the shower

A decent strength training routine can be done in even less time with a weighted vest or backpack.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#7 Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Beginner

When I was a student working two jobs I took a PE class most semesters. That way my exercise was also part of my education. I took swimming, weight lifting, and kickboxing.

Now I have more time, but in order to fit everything in I tend to make it a family affair. So that means jogging stroller for running, hiking backpack to carry toddler on hikes, and a gym membership that comes with daycare. I plan to get a trailer for my bike, too, so we can go for bike rides.
#8 Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera View Post

This may be an odd one, but at work during the day, everytime I go to the ladies room, I do Taebo moves! I bet it pisses the secretaries off because I'm hogging the bathroom but I'm keeping my tummy nice and firm!

I love it!

I have a standard routine, so work out 5x's per week about 40min-1hr
#9 Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginner

I work out early, before work. it's early and rough, but it gets done. i go MWF and then help with the kids on the other two weekdays. used to go after work, but i'd end up missing dinner with the fam and that's no good.

You could have weights with you at your job. fit them in during your day.

The Big Bad.
#10 Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Beginner

lol
I totally dance and sing while doing the dishes. Then, once a week I do a crazy intense workout. It used to be hiking a very strenuous trail during the summer. Now, I go up and down this really steep hill by my place for about an hour.

http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--That's the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#11 Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I've got a long list of integrated circuit routines that can be done in 10 minutes, cause sometimes time is definitely not on my side, and not exercising is not an option For example:

Burpees * 60 seconds, pull-ups * 60 seconds, squats * 60 seconds, pushups * 60 seconds, and then repeat for 45 seconds, then 30 seconds, then 15 seconds. All done in succession with no breaks in between exercises.

10 minutes that will kick your arse that can be done in a hotel room on the way from the bed to the shower

A decent strength training routine can be done in even less time with a weighted vest or backpack.

Hardcore! I dig it!
#12 Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

lol
I totally dance and sing while doing the dishes.

I LOVE this! :-)
#13 Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Beginner

When you're walking around, clench your butt. Do it when you're sitting too.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#14 Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Beginner

This thread makes me feel guilty
#15 Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

I do school fulltime, work part time... how do I find time for fitness? It's called I have no life. But I'll live till 102, so it's all good, fair trade.
I usually wake up at 4 or 5am to workout before class. Or, cause on weekends there's a chance I work at 5am and have to get up at 330am, I'll just workout in the afternoon after work.

I do like to workout really early , though. I find I put up better numbers and time trials. I also feel like I cheat, cause then the whole day I feel good and don't have to worry about getting my workout done, it's done, I can check it off my list.

Also, it's easy to pass out at an early time if you get up really early and get that blood pumping.

Some tips to keep active continuous. Walk when you can afford the time. Always take stairs if you are able to. Sometimes when doing laborious tasks, do a few more lifts or pushes of whatever you are doing. This can supplement your usual workout sessions + help out on days you can't do an good 60+ minute workout.
#16 Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I usually wake up at 4 or 5am to workout before class.

Extremely jealous you can do this...
#17 Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Banned

I try to cycle for transportation as much as I can, and I do yoga regularly. Then again, Holland is much more cyclist-friendly than many other countries around the world, with bike lanes everywhere.
#18 Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

When you're walking around, clench your butt. Do it when you're sitting too.

LOL do you do this Sequoia? I'm gonna think of you everytime I do this! :-P
#19 Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Also, it's easy to pass out at an early time if you get up really early and get that blood pumping.

^^ I need this. These past few weeks I have been having trouble going to sleep at night. I usually wake up at 5:45 but may push it back even earlier!
#20 Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

I try to cycle for transportation as much as I can, and I do yoga regularly. Then again, Holland is much more cyclist-friendly than many other countries around the world, with bike lanes everywhere.

Mia I thought you lived in the south? Did you just pack up and leave? And I ♥ yoga too.
#21 Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:

LOL do you do this Sequoia? I'm gonna think of you everytime I do this! :-P

I do it when I remember to. It works!

Jean-Paul Sartre
#22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

Mia I thought you lived in the south? Did you just pack up and leave? And I ♥ yoga too.

I did live in Georgia, then I was in Europe and met a gorgeous Dutchman, so here I am!

And I definitely believe in trying to be physically active as part of transport, between living here and travelling other places, us Americans can be way too dependent on our cars. Untill very recently, people didn't even need to set aside time to just exercise, it just happened naturally between working and going places.
#23 Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Beginner

I don't work much so I don't really have an excuse not to exercise. But I'm not a naturally organised and disciplined person by nature, so sometimes my brain likes to say "bugger it, I'm not going to exercise today". On those days, the yoga and pilates gets replaced by just dancing around the house like a big dill so I still manage to get about half an hours exercise in here and there.

At the weekends, this old fart still often goes out to a party or a club to dance and hang out with the other "ageing ex-raver set" so that keeps me fit and doesn't feel like exercise.

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I don't work much so I don't really have an excuse not to exercise. But I'm not a naturally organised and disciplined person by nature, so sometimes my brain likes to say "bugger it, I'm not going to exercise today". On those days, the yoga and pilates gets replaced by just dancing around the house like a big dill so I still manage to get about half an hours exercise in here and there.

At the weekends, this old fart still often goes out to a party or a club to dance and hang out with the other "ageing ex-raver set" so that keeps me fit and doesn't feel like exercise.

That's what I do too!!! Except that I also proceed to cancel out the whole dance routine by consuming my body weight in gin and tonics

Jean-Paul Sartre
#25 Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

sexy time? lmao jk

i'm a full time student and work.
no kids thankgod kudos to you i dont know how you do it!
i do have a puppy tho and thats enough work.
i get some exercise from walking and playing with her.
also, i walk at work for my entire shift.
thats bout it.
#26 Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Beginner

i don't fit it in. on purpose.lol.
#27 Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

sexy time? lmao jk

i'm a full time student and work.
no kids thankgod kudos to you i dont know how you do it!
i do have a puppy tho and thats enough work.
i get some exercise from walking and playing with her.
also, i walk at work for my entire shift.
thats bout it.

Sexy time is usually quite a work out for me, but right now I'm trying to abstain from men and sexy time.....but it is proving to be quite difficult, lol. I had a puppy once and it was more work than both of my kids combined!
#28 Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

That's what I do too!!! Except that I also proceed to cancel out the whole dance routine by consuming my body weight in gin and tonics

Mmmmmm gin!
#29 Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

Untill very recently, people didn't even need to set aside time to just exercise, it just happened naturally between working and going places.

Agree!
#30 Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

i don't fit it in. on purpose.lol.

WTF. So surfing isn't exercise? I think you should stop trying to make yourself look cool by pretending to be a couch potato.

m8itcanw8.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page