The Running Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Beginner

There are quite a few running threads dotted about but I thought it would be cool to consolidate all running chat into one thread.

So er...let's talk running! How was your last run? Where will you go for your next one? Are you training for something? What gear do you use? What do you listen to? How about nutrition?

Basically this thread is for anyone who runs, no matter how far or fast.

Thanks to influences from a few people (plus getting nikeplus back), I just got enthusiastic about running again I've gone from barely being able to run 2 miles a few weeks ago, to doing 10 again. It feels really great to build it up again so quickly. Looking back on old threads, I was so out of shape 18 months ago, but this time around it's just coming right back. I've signed up for another half marathon in the autumn, I was going to do a full, but I just don't feel ready yet so I'll just have to make it a really good half.

Just got back from a nice 10k in the park, pounded my joints sprinting (er...well...it was a sprint for me anyway ) the last 600m downhill but I don't care, cos it felt fricking awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Beginner

I've recently gotten back into running and so far it's going well. I haven't gotten my speed back yet (not that I was ever super fast) but can do 5miles comfortably now. I signed up for a half marathon in September as something to train for!
#3 Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

I've recently gotten back into running and so far it's going well. I haven't gotten my speed back yet (not that I was ever super fast) but can do 5miles comfortably now. I signed up for a half marathon in September as something to train for!

Good luck, Dana! I did one on May 1 and it kicked my butt.

Glad you're enjoying it again, yally! And good luck to you too in your half.

I'm doing a 5k with my stepbrother in June, but haven't got any other races scheduled as of now.
#4 Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

It's great to have something to train for

I'll never be fast, I just wanna cover ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Good luck, Dana! I did one on May 1 and it kicked my butt.

Glad you're enjoying it again, yally! And good luck to you too in your half.

I'm doing a 5k with my stepbrother in June, but haven't got any other races scheduled as of now.

Congrats on the half!

Am currently trying to decide between a nap or a run...nap or run...well, I'll do both, but in what order?

I've been running the streets for my 5ks and even though I map my runs, I hadn't noticed two little parks right where I've been running, one has a gorgeous little woody bit along a river, something I only usually get on my long runs (when I go further afield and get properly lost in the woods). So it's really nice to have found that.
#5 Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Beginner

Mmmmm....smoothie...

Just did 4 miles, it was good, but my knees are ****ed. Seems I've done 90km in the last 17 days, which ok, is only the equivalent of 5k a day, but I've gone from months of no running right back to what I was doing before. Got too excited about the fact that I could suddenly run far again, didn't really think about whether I should. Gonna take a couple of days off and slow down a bit.
#6 Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Days off are definitely a must! I have to remind myself of that often

And Brandon, congratulations on finishing a half-marathon!
#7 Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Hmmm....just discovered a thing called a kilomathon...it's 26.2km, might be a good step up from half. Eh I guess it isn't that much further, but it's still that bit closer to a full marathon.
#8 Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Ankle Biter

I don't race, but I've been running (ok, really jogging!) for over 25 years. I try to run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week, with elliptical or treadmill runs when the weather is bad. I've been subbing for our spay/neuter clinic's office manager this week and so I haven't had a workout or run since Saturday. It feels so weird! I've also found that I'm snacking on stupid food things. I really really really hope to run on Saturday morning.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Beginner

Woke up silly early this morning and I'm itching to run. Silly idea, especially considering I blew off ballet to give my joints a break last night, I won't be able to run at all if my knees go. Guess I'll go for a walk and swim, see how I feel tomorrow. BUT I WANT TO RUN NOW. Wah.
#10 Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Beginner

I need a thinger that measures how far I'm running it as well as times my run. I'm guessing I did a mile in just over seven minutes today but who knows. I haven't run in a long time (pretty much since high school) and now that I'm quitting smoking I decided to start running again. Exercise really helps whenever I get a craving.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#11 Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I need a thinger that measures how far I'm running it as well as times my run. I'm guessing I did a mile in just over seven minutes today but who knows. I haven't run in a long time (pretty much since high school) and now that I'm quitting smoking I decided to start running again. Exercise really helps whenever I get a craving.

Google pedometer is an easy way to measure distance. Then, with a timer on your watch or phone, you can time yourself to find your speed. I use a heart rate monitor when I run. It doesn't measure distance or speed, but calories - which are what I'm trying to burn!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 AM
Beginner

I'm a huge fan of Nike plus. Especially the GPS on my phone, feels like it's more accurate now (and I'm running a lot slower than I thought!).

Or garmin is good I'm told, but expensive. If you don't want to carry a gadget around with you, mapmyrun is a good website (it's probably similar to the google pedometer Poppy mentioned)...
#13 Old 05-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Beginner

I find smoking nearly impossible when I'm running regularly, my body just refuses to smoke, it's great
#14 Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Google pedometer is an easy way to measure distance.

I tried that but I run through parks/alleys that aren't on the map and google wont let me set my route through parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I find smoking nearly impossible when I'm running regularly, my body just refuses to smoke, it's great

I can't wait to get to that point cause all my body wants to do is smoke.

#15 Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I tried that but I run through parks/alleys that aren't on the map and google wont let me set my route through parks

Try mapmyrun?
#16 Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Beginner

I did and it pissed me off lol
I'm not technology savey and evidently the second day of quitting is my worst >.<

#17 Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Beginner

Ha ha well that's no good

Getting a GPS measurey thing then, they're very satisfying, especially since they draw the map for you when you upload it, watching a little circle representing you running around on the map is very satisfying
#18 Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Does anyone use energy drinks on long runs? I don't really take anything to drink with me, but a friend of mine was saying she tried one before a run and didn't get so dehydrated (though she wasn't entirely sure if it was placebo or not). I am thinking about trying it.
#19 Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Beginner

energy drinks are caffeinated so they would dehydrate you faster. Also they are full of empty calories/sugar/colouring (a big no-no when you're trying to lose weight)

#20 Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Beginner

I'm not trying to lose weight, I actually struggle to consume enough calories when I'm running regularly
#21 Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Me too but a lot of people on here are conscious about stuff like that so I was throwing it out there. All in all energy drinks are not healthy.

#22 Old 05-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Beginner

This:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/anti-diet/

Does a really good job of summing up how running makes me feel good, unlike anything else.
#23 Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Beginner

Just got in from a really tough 10k. Couldn't work out why it was so hard, thought it had something to do with the humidity (that was probably part of it) but I see now I was going faster with just about every km, particularly the last 3. Awesome. Still not fast, but if I can eventually find normal the speed I was doing by last 3, well that would be cool

If I can manage 4 miles tomorrow, I'll have run 30 miles this week. Just hope my knees hold out.
#24 Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Beginner

Recently got back into running. Just got a new pair of running shoes. Right now I'm doing about 2 miles a day before work. Oh! and today I came down on a curb wrong and rolled my ankle! I give myself a 4 out of 10.

"Be strong, get beyond all superstitions, and be free." ~Swami Vivekananda

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~MLK jr.

"It takes more distress and poison to kill someone who has peace of mind and loves life." ~ Bernie...

#25 Old 05-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall View Post

Recently got back into running. Just got a new pair of running shoes. Right now I'm doing about 2 miles a day before work. Oh! and today I came down on a curb wrong and rolled my ankle! I give myself a 4 out of 10.

Ouch!
#26 Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Beginner

I'm going to slowly build up to running!

Why? Because I have "always" hated running except as a very small child.

Also, Yally inspired me.

I have a plan to do this slowly, which I will share.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#27 Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Beginner

#28 Old 05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Ankle Biter

I ran this morning for the first time in a week! Woo! I spent the past week as a substitute for the office manager at the spay/neuter clinic while she was on vacation. I had to be there, clean and with my face in place, at freaking 7:30 in the morning - which is completely different from my normal schedule where I often don't even take a shower until 10am. And, I was completely pooped, so no exercise for me for the whole week. I obviously wasn't meant to work at a real job!

#29 Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Yay Poppy! I know what you mean, I would really struggle to get out and run if I had to work full time...

I've had a really miserable day and really didn't feel like running all that much. I really wanted a smoothie though, so I decided to allow myself one if I ran. Oh my gosh, awesome, started out with awesome song to set me on speed

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

4 miles of what is almost a sprint for me Feel fantastic.

Smoothie is especially awesome too!
#30 Old 05-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Beginner

My feet hurt which is worrying. I am overdoing it a bit but also wondering if I should get new running shoes. I thought I needed to last year, but the ones I bought just didn't cut it so I went back to the old ones, which have probably clocked around 450 miles by now. I did win £50 on the bonds last week, maybe I could put that towards a pair...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page