Silly but - hold in your stomach muscles? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 AM

Okay, I'm not exactly a fitness pro haha but I've recently added fitness dvds to my exersise regime - but in the exersises they keep saying "hold your stomach muscles in" and "keep your tummy tight". What does this MEAN? I honestly have no idea, maybe I'm doing it without realising? Do you tense your stomach muscles?

clearly I'm not very good at this! Sorry to be silly, but can anyone explain?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 AM

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...nder-9-minutes
#3 Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 AM

Yes, it's like holding the abdominal wall up, not just sucking your stomach in. It takes a bit of practice though, especially the breathing.
#4 Old 02-05-2010, 04:30 AM

Your engaging your core. Take a deep breath in, then exhale with a "hissing" noise. You will feel your belly button being pulled in and up. Now hold this, and practice your breathing. It can be hard to get used to, but once you do it's wonderful.
#5 Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM

So, are you supposed to hold the stomach in while inhaling as well? I have problems with that when I'm trying to breathe through my diaphram (which I normally don't do).
#6 Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM

I had a hard time getting used to it, too. Keep practicing.
#7 Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Yes Christine, you are supposed to keep your core engaged the whole time you're doing repitions of an exercise. Practice it will your sitting at the computer. It will take some timw, but is well worth it. In a few weeks you'll wonder how you ever thought it was hard.
#8 Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post

Yes Christine, you are supposed to keep your core engaged the whole time you're doing repitions of an exercise. Practice it will your sitting at the computer. It will take some timw, but is well worth it. In a few weeks you'll wonder how you ever thought it was hard.

Hmm. Is it supposed to feel like you're restricting the breath? I can do it, but I just feel like it's either my chest that's doing the breathing, I'm not fully tightening my stomach, or my breaths are short.
#9 Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

You just have to keep trying. Yes, your breath will feel restricted at first.

Sit with your back straight, inhale. Now exhale making a 'hissing' noise. Keep your stomache tightened like that. Take a deep breath in, you'll feel almost as it is fighting against your stomache. Hold it for a minute, then exhale.

Good luck!
#10 Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post

Your engaging your core.

If you want to help people who are already struggling with deciphering what "hold your stomach muscles in" actually means in practice, using phrases like that is not really going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine2809 View Post

Hmm. Is it supposed to feel like you're restricting the breath?.

Not at all. You should feel like you can breath in and out while you have your abs tensed.

m8itcanw8.com
#11 Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 AM

hehe....just explaining that their really is a point (and a name!) to holding your stomache muscles in.

Any luck Christine?
#12 Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM

I think so... I just feel like I'm not breathing fully. I'm sure it will just take time. Thanks!
#13 Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 PM

it's sort of like the feeling you get when you have a deep cough. you sort of pull your stomach in and push it down. it's sort of hard to do at first though.
#14 Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Ive been going through this confusion myself when doing crunches. They say pull "your belly button in when you come up", which to me seems to be physcially impossible. In order to come to the top of the crunch, you work your abs hence the not being able to keep flat and back. It makes no sense to me at all and I worry that Im interpreting it all wrong. And If im not hearing it wrong and it Im not doing them correctly(though I really try to do what I hear), it actually defeats the purpose of doing them as crunches are one of those things that have to have pretty strict form in order to work...(my fitness of choice at the moment is the 30 Day Shred). I can tell that they(abs) are getting a bit stronger and Im better able to handle certain moves..but still. Im forever trying to figure out how to suck in and contract to pull yourself up at the same time. My abs naturally will go outward while still being controlled/tense.
#15 Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 PM

well its breathing like your ribs are an accordian and when you get to the end of breathing out flexing your ab muscles (to wring out the air) the holding it there.. essentially you are holding your abs flexed, if you have trouble breathing you are too back out a little. and as for the pulling the belling button to the spine when sitting up (and feeling impossible) i believe the point is to maintain your flexed core muscles and flatten your tummy - try to prevent it from relaxing.. its pretty difficult at first but in time if you keep your abs flexed (scooped tense, tight -so many terms) it will get easier and you will be able to see!

PS the sensation when doing a basic crunch with your abs tight and pulling your belly button to your spine should result in feeling your lower abdominals really working.. If you are breathing out when you come up (allowing for more muscle work and ab strengthing) then its easier as you can focus on pushing every atom of air out of your body while flexing!

there is a 10 minute solution video (quick tummy toners) by Jessica Smith and she explains the "holding your abs tight (scooped)) perfectly and has you practice it. its so second nature now i could hold my tummy muscles tight virtually all day

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#16 Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

What does engaged mean?

I've just begun having my fun. <3
#17 Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 AM

engaged is the same thing.. When your core muscles are engaged.. as godxisxagnostic said when you cough you know how your abs get super tight, or when you flex them in tight? Thats the goal and can refer to

Scoop

Tighten

Engage

etc...

there are many many words to describe this.. really if that talk about anything to do with your abs, or core muscles that is generally what they mean

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#18 Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 AM

My back hurts slightly when doing that.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#19 Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM

hmm, not sure how to alleviate that one.. mine was sore a lot at first but isn't now.... im not sure if its because we are using muscles that we never have before? I'll see what i can dig up if you want?

#20 Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

My back hurts slightly when doing that.

Oh no! That's not suppose to happen!

One way to "engage your core" is to think about what your lower back is doing. Is it arching inward when you exercise? Straighten it out! keeping your spine and back straight requires your abdominal muscles. So if you can keep your back straight, you will indeed be holding in your stomach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page