Localized pain in my lower left abdomen - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Beginner

I don't know if anyone of you gals have experienced this, but right now, I have a pretty bad pain that's localized an inch or two below my last rib on the left side of my abdomen.

It started this morning, and has gotten a little worse during the day. When I'm sitting I don't feel the pain, but when I get up, or bend down, it hurts. I also noticed that it hurts quite a bit when I went to the bathroom, when I forced just slightly.

I've had this happen before, and often blamed it on stress. I just started another year at college as a mature student, but I'm not sure I really feel stressed over that yet. On the other hand, I know that my boyfriend is going back home to Scotland in two weeks ( ), so...

I posted this in Women's Health forum because I'm thinking it may have something to do with my cycle. Every month has a different degree of cramps, and moodiness for me. My cycle is regular, but the PMS, not so much.

My boyfriend wondered if it wasn't a hernia or something similar.

*sigh* I hope this goes away on it's own. I really don't feel like missing classes to see a doctor at my first month back...

Does anyone have any insight on what this might be? I have a hard time walking (when I first get up, I seem to adapt after being up for a bit), and my boyfriend might have to get up with me tomorrow morning to walk with me to college because with this pain, I can't carry my books(they are pretty heavy), and my laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Beginner

Ok, after getting up a minute ago, I realized that the pain is actually lower than I originally said.
#3 Old 09-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Oh, PLEASE go see a doctor right away! It may not be serious, but I hate to think that you'd be ignoring something that DID turn out to be serious!

*this space not for sale*
#4 Old 09-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Ugh, I had typed out something and my connection conked out!

I basically said that I could go see a doctor tomorrow evening if it's still bad. I think we have a clinic here that can see patients on a walk-in, first come, first serve basis. I *think* they might be open on evenings.

But, like I said earlier, I've had this before, over ten years(not often though, once a year maybe, if that).
#5 Old 09-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Beginner

Definitely get it checked out... It could be a hernia, appendicitis, endometriosis, any number of things that could be serious... Or it could be nothing to worry about at all. You just have to get it checked out to be sure.

If you suddenly get a fever, feel nauseous, or the pain increases in intensity, don't wait till tomorrow, get it checked out right away!

Hope you feel better soon!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 09-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Beginner

Another "go to the doctor" vote. If it is stress-related, not knowing that surely can't make it any better.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone. The one thing I'm ruling out is appendicitis, since the appendix is on the right side, and the pain is on the left. I just got up, so I don't know how I feel yet, I'll have to walk around and get ready for class before I feel it if it still hurts.
#8 Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 AM
ICU
Beginner

Ever have a kidney stone before? Is the pain like that? Best see your primary care provider. Could be a number of things.

Faith not fear, hope not worry
#9 Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Beginner

No, I've never had a kidney stone, so I don't know what that would feel like. It's actually feeling better today, but the pain is still present when I bend down when sitting.

I just wonder why this keeps coming back, however infrequent it is.
#10 Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Beginner

I've been having the same thing over about 10 to 15 years... and about 4 doctors. Every doctor would tell me to call when I was having the pain but none would ever get me in for an appointment while the pain was still there. Out of frustration with my doctors, I started just going into the emergency room. No one seems to pin down an actual problem or reason for what's going on. No one has gives a name for what it is. The doctors pretty much say don't drink any soda and take it easy until it passes.

It's frustrating because there have been days I couldn't stand up completely because the pain felt almost like my side is tearing. Like you, I don't feel the pain much when sitting and I seem to adjust as the day goes on.
#11 Old 09-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Beginner

Hmm, thanks for your input. It does feel better now, but I don't dare stand up too fast, until I'm sure it's passed...lol. Sometimes it feels like it's an air bubble trapped inside me, which if it was, it would make sense to advise against soda until the pain passes. I don't drink much of the stuff, but I had some a few times recently.
#12 Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Beginner

See, that's kind of what was funny is that I didn't drink much soda at the time and I told doctors as much. Actually, I drink more of the stuff now (trying to cut back again) and I haven't had those pains as frequently lately. It's been a puzzle to me, so it's interesting to come across someone with a similar-sounding issue.
#13 Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Beginner

I've had that kind of pain, too, except it was on the right side of my abdomen. I had severe kidney stones eleven years ago. I could feel the stone traveling through my body. My side would hurt and my lower back would hurt. I eventually had to have sonic surgery to break up the stones when they wouldn't pass.

The other reason for pain in that spot might be an ovarian cyst. The lower right side of my abdomen hurts every month for a day or two and I chalked it up to a cyst. I haven't been to the doctor to confirm this self-diagnosis, but everything I've read on ovarian cysts seems to fit my symptoms.
#14 Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Beginner

gotta ask: on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the worst pain you have ever felt in your life), what number is your pain?
#15 Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Like everyone else has said, make sure you go see a doctor. It might not be serious but if you don't take care of it you'll never know how much worse it could get. There's a number or things that it could be and I could throw a few guess out but you won't know for sure until you see a professional. I hope they clear what ever it is up for you soon and you feel better
#16 Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

gotta ask: on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the worst pain you have ever felt in your life), what number is your pain?

Well the worst pain I have ever experience has to be the time I made that three cheese lasagna(back when I was omni) and landed in the ER for a really bad stomach irritation. I was in pain, could barely walk and I was pretty nauseous, and no matter what meds they gave me, it wouldn't go away. It just made me high as a kite. They released me at 5 am, and I was still in pain. I slept the next day, and it passed. I never heard from the hospital the results of any tests they took.

The second worst would be childbirth (yes, it comes in second).

Third would be when my PMS cramps get really bad, and this pain is probably on par with that.... so I'll say 6 or 7
#17 Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
ICU
Beginner

I think Green is trying to get you to quantify the pain you are having using the pain scale. It is a very common tool used in health care. Sometime we us a faces scale or, at my facility a cognitive scale. The next questions have to do with quality of pain. What does it feel like? Dull, sharp, burning, cramping, pressure, constant, intermittent, etc. Does it radiate? What brings it on, what relieves it? What is your tolerable level using the scale?

A 6-7/10 is moderate to severe and would definitely send me to see my doctor, especially if it comes back. I still suggest you see someone about it.

Faith not fear, hope not worry
#18 Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Beginner

How have your bathroom habits been? Could you be even slightly constipated?

It could also be a strained muscle..sort of like the intercostal muscle pains (often called growing pains) between your ribs.

But yeah, you should def see a doc. Try to remember if there is some cyclical pattern to the pain.
#19 Old 09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
law
Beginner

ive been having something similar lately, but on my right side. it scared the crap out of me and lasted for a week or so. Then nothing for a week then it would return. Ive pretty much figured out that its some sort of caffine intolerance and it began when my boyfriend syarted working at starbucks.
#20 Old 09-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Beginner

I agree with the others who mentioned seeing your doctor to get it checked.

I had severe pain very low on my left side and it turned out to be endometriosis on the surface and growing into my left ovary. (it was other places aswell right enough)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page