Dairy and Yeast Infections - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Beginner

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what you ladies thought of this. I have been getting reoccuring yeast infections and have been reading A LOT of infromation about them. One thing I noticed was that so many sites claim that eating yogurt is a great way to get rid of them. However, I also read on a number of sites that claim cutting or reducing your intake of dairy could help. Not that I am surprised to find conflicting information on the internet, but I was just wondering what others thought about this. At this point I'm looking into supplements and cutting waaaaaay back on sugars and carbs and sadly coffee, I don't really like yogurt to begin with so this doesn't really affect me, but I just found it interesting. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

i think the suggestion of yogurt is for the ones specifically with live bacteria like Lactobacillus acidophilus, which might help to repopulate the area involved/help get and keep the balance right. bacteria are funny things though, if they don't like the environment that you put them in, they won't stick around, and it can be really hard to persuade them to colonise.

anyway, plain old pasturised supermarket strawberry yogurt aint likely gonna do it, and cheezewhizz or some other icky products wouldn't be any help either. regular dairy products don't generally contain these cultures from what i've seen.

you can get the same probiotics in other food products though, plus in tablets, powders, etc. you might not notice the taste if you put yogurt in a smoothie, either.

i think cutting way back on sugar is a very sensible option. if you still want sweet stuff, xylitol has been shown to starve bacteria in ear infections, so you never know, maybe it'd help elsewhere.
#3 Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Beginner

ya its the bacteria in the cultures in yoghurt that make it good for yeast infections. however there are much better ways that help i.e. acidopholus supplements, pau d'arco tea, absolutely no sugars (including fruit) or refined carbs at all!, no alcohol, no coffee or caffeine, lemon water, tea tree baths.
#4 Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Beginner

could you explain more about the tea tree bath greensgood?
#5 Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Beginner

there isnt enough good bacteria in the yogurt to help fight yeast infections, you are better off supplementing in other ways (yogurt only has 3-4 different types vs. 30-40000 types in probiotic pills).

Plus, any good bacteria that you'd get would likely be offset by the sugar in the yogurt.

you should avoid washing w/ any kind of fragrent soaps...really just use water. But i have found that tea tree oil soap is good, very gentle.

also, be sure that you arent sensitive to your detergents. you can be affected even by the most "natural" of soaps. Also, if you have frequent YIs, the yeast can stay on your underwear between washings, so you may want to invest in new ones.
#6 Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Banned

A vaginal yeast infection means that too many yeast cells are growing in the vagina. These infections are very common. Although they can bother you a lot, they are not usually serious. And treatment is simple.

Most yeast infections are caused by a type of yeast called Candida albicans.

A healthy vagina has many bacteria and a small number of yeast cells. The most common bacteria, Lactobacillus acidophilus, help keep other organisms-like the yeast-under control.

When something happens to change the balance of these organisms, yeast can grow too much and cause symptoms. Taking antibiotics sometimes causes this imbalance. The high estrogen levels caused by pregnancy or hormone replacement therapy can also cause it. So can certain health problems, like diabetes or HIV infection.

Ovarian Cysts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page