low estrogen levels - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 AM

can a vegan diet cause low estrogen? ive read that a low-fat vegetarian diet can, but that it also really helps with PMS symptoms. i found out that i have low estrogen levels and im going back christmas eve to get re-tested. the nurse said that i might have to go on hormones. my mom thinks this is all tied into my diet, but im not 100% sure. i thought that soy raised estrogen levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 AM

I am not 100%, but I think that low estrogen is only related to diet in that you can experience it if you have a very low percentage body fat. I wouldn't imagine that your estrogen levels would be low solely because of a vegan diet, or it would be widely advocated against for women and a diet rich in meat and dairy would be recommended for those going through the menopause. This is just my logic though, so I'm happy to be corrected!

Hope this helps,

Cyr.
#3 Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 AM

i agree with you, cyr. i dont have a lot body fat percentage, though- im over 30%, so says my $6 clearance body fat analyzer. i think a very low fat diet can affect it, but i dont think that my diet is very low fat. obviously i eat better than a carnivore, but i dont overdo it.
#4 Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 PM

I wouldn't stress too much until the do the re-test.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM

I have low estrogen levels. But I think it has always been that way, even before I became Vegan. I lost my periods after I lost weight, and two doctors told me that because I had low fat levels, my body went into survival mode. Your low estrogen levels could also be genetic.

I don't believe all that hype about soy raising estrogen levels because I am proof that it's not true. A few months back I was overdosing on veggie burgers and ingesting at least 50 grams of soy protein a day, and I still never got my periods.

Also, I believe that all the added hormones in beef and dairy is what accounts for most of the hormones in modern women. And maybe cutting out animal proteins that are full of these hormones might just eliminate all that extra estrogen in your body.
#6 Old 12-21-2007, 04:39 AM

Well, not getting your periods doesn't necessarily mean that you have normal or low estrogen levels. When I was very overweight, for example, I missed most of them, but it was partially because my estrogen levels were too high.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM

I got my hormone levels checked and all my hormones were low.

You'll miss your periods if your hormones are out of balance. It could be for a variety of reasons.
#8 Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 AM

as others have said, it could be for a variety of reasons.

i think that my main focus would be on general thyroid balancing, such as increasing iodine, etc, and considering going soy free and increasing overall fat intake. these tend to support thyroid function.

if you find that this doesn't help, consider including natural soy products (tempeh, tofu, miso, edamame) in moderation. this may also help boost thyroid/estrogen function.

there are other things you can do for thyroid function (yoga poses, washing practices using warm or cold water depending upon the thyroid process, etc), but i think that this stuff would make a good start.

i don't think that veganism is the issue per se. it can be, depending upon how it's "formulated" but it might also just be what it is.
#9 Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romina View Post

I got my hormone levels checked and all my hormones were low.

You'll miss your periods if your hormones are out of balance. It could be for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, I see that, but I'm saying that I don't think your statement about soy not raising hormone levels is "scientific" I suppose. Do you know what your hormone levels were before you started eating lots of soy? What kind of soy was it? There are lots of variables here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page