Leg pains during menstration... - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Beginner

I've always had awful leg pains right before and during menstration. Feels a lot like "growing pains", only much worse. I talked to my doctor about this, and was told it's not common, and to try getting extra calcium around my period. That doesn't seem to help. Nobody I've talked to get legs pains at their time of the month. Just wondering if anyone else expierences this, and if they know the reason why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Beginner

are you on the pill? it's an uncommon side effect of birth control pills to get blood clots that often when they do happen, happen in the legs. Is there any coldness or lack of circulation? I'd google some symptoms of blood clots to see if it applies to your situation. If it does, get yourself to the doctor (a different one if need be) and get yourself checked out straight away. They're very serious.

If it's only during menstruation, I find a blood clot unlikely. You don't want to leave any stone unturned though.
#3 Old 07-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Beginner

I'm not on the pill. I've had them every since I can remember. I do seem to have not the greatest circulation though, always had problems w/that since i was a kid.
#4 Old 07-23-2006, 05:14 AM
Beginner

I used to have the same problem, specifically cramps in my calves. After I went on the pill, it practically eliminated any pain I had before. I'm not sure if that's what caused the pain to go away, but maybe it's something worth researching.
#5 Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

I used to get that, starting when I first got my period - REALLY badly around my upper thighs especially, every month. At first I thought maybe I was pulling up my underwear too tightly to hold on the pad, lol. But no, it was just the way my body worked.

After going on the pill, I never get that anymore. :-) (everyone disses the pill, but I love it!!)
#6 Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Beginner

I get it too. Could be bad circulation cos I don't think my circulation is the best, get very cold hands etc. I must try extra calcium!
#7 Old 07-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Beginner

I get leg pains too! i'm so glad someone else gets them, whenever i mention them to my friends etc, they have no idea what i'm talking about. i get them at the top of my thighs & in my calfs mostly...anyone have a cure?
#8 Old 07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Beginner

I used to get them really bad in my thighs. They've gone away completely since I've been on the pill.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I used to get them really bad in my thighs. They've gone away completely since I've been on the pill.

Me too! *love the pill*
#10 Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Hi, I am new to this site but want to jump in on this thread. I only started having terribible leg (calf) cramps when I reached about 45. I have no idea how long this will go on. Not forever I hope, if anyone else has experienced this while going through menspause I would be so gratefull for advise. At the moment I would love to cut my legs of at the knees.

mum532
#11 Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

I've always had awful leg pains right before and during menstration. Feels a lot like "growing pains", only much worse. I talked to my doctor about this, and was told it's not common, and to try getting extra calcium around my period. That doesn't seem to help. Nobody I've talked to get legs pains at their time of the month. Just wondering if anyone else expierences this, and if they know the reason why?

I also get these really bad legs cramps right before and during the first day or 2 of my period. Nobody else I know has this, but the more i read on it, the more i find that its more common then i thought
#12 Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teribear0904 View Post

I also get these really bad legs cramps right before and during the first day or 2 of my period. Nobody else I know has this, but the more i read on it, the more i find that its more common then i thought

if its around the thighs its not horribly uncommon. bodies are weird things. i get a sore throat every month before i get my dreaded crippling girl pain- and every month i forget that i had it last month and every other month for the last 17 years and i think i'm getting a cold, cos i'm apparently stupid and horonally deranged.

have you spoken to your doctor? sometimes antispasmodic drugs are good.
#13 Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Beginner

I have that too. I used to take way too much ibuprofen, until my doctor told me to take calcium (I don't want to use hormonal birth control). The calcium supplements, started about a week before my period, and exercising regularly and getting enough sleep all seem to help.
#14 Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Beginner

Yes, I get leg pains just before my periods. that's how I know they're coming. but it doesn't happen everytime and it's not terribly painful. It's the whole legs, not just my thighs.
#15 Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Beginner

I have this same problem but i am on the pill. I seem to only suffer leg cramps (calves) when im off of them on the 7 day break, i cant take the reminder pills they seem to make me sick. I dont know why this happens, when i asked the doctor he said it was because i have fibromyalgia but i dont buy it.
#16 Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Beginner

I've gotten "growing pains" as long as I can remember--when I was little I used to cry at night because they hurt so badly and my mom would come in and rub my legs. Unfortunately, they didn't stop when I stopped growing and within the last 3-4 years I have an almost daily "growing pain" in my left arm and leg. Seen multiple doctors and had multiple tests done, but nothing. They intensify so much when I'm around my period, especially in the thigh/hip area. It's absolutely unpleasant and didn't go away when I began taking the pill
#17 Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Beginner

meeeee too. another leg-pain-er. And leg exhaustion. the rest of me is ok (well... apart from churning stomach and cramping insides) but my legs refuse to move. I had to get picked up from a bus stop about 2 blocks from my class last month because I was so ridiculously paralysed with leg cramps and leg ..tiredness.

Bother being female. bother it.

Although it does have nice aspects I spose : )

Anyway, I just take nurofen (ibuprofen?) and it sorta works
#18 Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegPrincess View Post

Yes, I get leg pains just before my periods. that's how I know they're coming. but it doesn't happen everytime and it's not terribly painful. It's the whole legs, not just my thighs.

Same here. It's the worst when you get it at night. I've had whole nights lying in pain, practically crying. I haven't had it that bad for a while, though.
#19 Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Beginner

Leg pains and cramps associated with your period are caused by a hormone-type substance in your body called Prostaglandins which produce inflammation, which in turn causes the discomfort. They can be alleviated with anti-inflammatory drugs taken a few days before your period starts and during it, or you can introduce some flax seeds to your diet which have anti-inflammatory properties. I don't get any cramping or leg pains anymore since I started eating flax seeds.

m8itcanw8.com
#20 Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Leg pains and cramps associated with your period are caused by a hormone-type substance in your body called Prostaglandins which produce inflammation, which in turn causes the discomfort. They can be alleviated with anti-inflammatory drugs taken a few days before your period starts and during it, or you can introduce some flax seeds to your diet which have anti-inflammatory properties. I don't get any cramping or leg pains anymore since I started eating flax seeds.

Thanks for the tip!
#21 Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Hmm interesting. I may try flaxseeds as I have given up all hope in OTC anti-inflammatory meds as they do absolutely nothing for me.
#22 Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

...or you can introduce some flax seeds to your diet which have anti-inflammatory properties. I don't get any cramping or leg pains anymore since I started eating flax seeds.

I get these leg pains also and I am also on the pill. I prefer to not be on the pill but I'll take it over unwanted babies any day!

I have started eating more flax seeds since going veg about 2 weeks ago so we'll see if that makes any difference in my pains!
#23 Old 04-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Beginner

ive had em once or twice. I always associated it with the fact my back, hip and stomach muscles are tired and crampy because of my period and that is putting additional strain on my legs, ect.

(I should probably also note I suffered from constant "growing pains" even when I was no longer growing in my legs, had a hard time biking, ect. As it turns out I have mildly deformed knee caps which isn't an unusual problem as many think. The back side of my knees caps are kinda...bumpy and ridgy so it iritates and causes that growing pain feeling. For anyone who suffers from this not at girlie times of month only it is worth getting checked out.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page