How do I keep the underwire in my bras from stabbing me? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Hey ladies! I put this in "our" forum because I don't think many of the guys have much experience fixing bras. So I wear underwire bras because I have found them most comfortable. The problem is, the underwire in the bras I've had for 1 1/2 years are poking holes in the fabric and coming out to torment me. (So is the bra I bought in January, but it was a cheap Value City find, so I'm not surprised.)

I tried forcing the underwire back in. Nope, it wouldn't go. I tried snipping off the offending ends with wire cutters. This only works for a little bit because the underwire continues to work its way out. A snipped end is more painful than a rounded end. I tried placing duct tape over the snipped end, which has been moderately effective, but I can still feel some of the poking.

I don't want to ditch the bras and buy new ones if there is a way to save these. Do you have any ideas? Also, do you have any ideas for preventing "underwire escapage" in the future with new bras? Thanks a ton!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2005, 04:31 PM

I retire my bras at that point. By then they're usually pretty banged up anyway.
#3 Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 PM

My mom is so good at fixing my bras! She gets light colored felt or similar fabric, and makes a little patch on the end where the underwire is coming out, and stitches it like a mug (read: double-, triple-, or quadruple-stitches it).

I prefer wireless bras, really, though, because my boobs are really small and they don't do much bouncing. Olga makes some really nice ones with "flex wire" or something, and it feels like there's no wire in there. But you'll probably find me in a tank top with a shelf bra these days.
#4 Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 PM

I avoid underwires for this very reason. Once they come through, which they will, you have a couple options. Pull both wires out and hope they still support, or throw it away. It may be fixable but I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort.
#5 Old 04-21-2005, 05:22 PM

I get rid of mine then because they don't do thier job without the underwires.

I have tried to fix them, skylark, but anything I did was only temporary and never felt right.

Ruthie, what kind of bras do you get that don't have underwires? I can't find any wireless ones that don't oonch up under my boobs and look like I might as well not be wearing one, not to mention how uncomfortable it is.
#6 Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM

No pointers on new bras because they all eventually do that to me too. I did electrical tape one, and hot glue another though. The glue one held up quite nicely
#7 Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Curvations at KMart. Highly recommend. They are the first nonexpensive no underwire bra that support me well. They are so comfy.
#8 Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 PM

Ugh! Mine do that too....even a Victoria's Secret bra after just 3 months! I didn't pay an arm and a leg for a disposable bra for crying out loud!
#9 Old 04-21-2005, 05:33 PM

Man, underwire escapeage is the worst. I had one that I sewed back together with like 800 stitches but it didn't feel right even though the underwire wasn't escaping anymore.

I find that I'm really getting sick of underwire bras, because when I take them off there is always red marks under my boobs from the wire, however I have large boobs (34D) and any bra I see in my size has underwire. I have yet to see a D bra without underwire. (I don't look at bras much, so feel free to correct me if you have)
#10 Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 PM

Do you handwash your bras? Handwashing should make them last longer but I think that it is inevitable that the wire will poke out.

I normally wear bras without wire because a lot of underwire bras give me bruises in between my breasts (I think that it's a combination of me being really bony in that area and me being in between cup sizes [and band sizes!]).
#11 Old 04-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Man, underwire escapeage is the worst. I had one that I sewed back together with like 800 stitches but it didn't feel right even though the underwire wasn't escaping anymore.

I find that I'm really getting sick of underwire bras, because when I take them off there is always red marks under my boobs from the wire, however I have large boobs (34D) and any bra I see in my size has underwire. I have yet to see a D bra without underwire. (I don't look at bras much, so feel free to correct me if you have)

I have 38D wireless bras galore. www.curvation.com.
#12 Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 PM

The K-marts around me closed down. I could not get the store locater to work, but I will try it later.

Thanks Ruthie!
#13 Old 04-21-2005, 06:37 PM

I agree with msbunnicula. Handwashing or washing in a lingerie bag, and NEVER EVER putting my bras in the dryer have kept my underwires in place. When I used to wash them in the washer without the lingerie bag, I had wire pokage too.

Prevention is definitely the key. Once that wire starts poking, all hope is lost.
#14 Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 PM

Ruthie, thanks for the bra suggestion! *gets excited about new bras*
#15 Old 04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

I am a 34G. Yes, you read that right. They really aren't as big as they sound, though. I pay $100-$150 CAD for my bras at a speciality store. Right now, I only have 1 bra, I've been wearing it every day for 2 years and it still has a good year left in it. Once the underwire finally gives out, the fabric has been stretched and tortured enough. It's time to retire that puppy and get another one.

Time to go shopping
#16 Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

I am a 34G. Yes, you read that right. They really aren't as big as they sound, though. I pay $100-$150 CAD for my bras at a speciality store. Right now, I only have 1 bra, I've been wearing it every day for 2 years and it still has a good year left in it. Once the underwire finally gives out, the fabric has been stretched and tortured enough. It's time to retire that puppy and get another one.

Time to go shopping

I wore the same bra for an entire year and the underwire BROKE. That's when it was time to replace it. It was a really great bra though. ugly, but fit me just right.

Ouch though. 34G? Did your boobs just not stop growing? Or were they always big? I'm curious because I'm 19 and I'm pretty sure my breasts have gotten bigger in the past few months and I really don't want them to get bigger than they are. (34D)
#17 Old 04-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Did your boobs just not stop growing?

A lot of it is that people aren't wearing the right sized bras. I didn't wear the correct size my entire life. Just threw on something that seemed to fit at Zellers (the Canadian Kmart).

Once I got fitter and got into a bra that really fit, I haven't gone back. My breasts never looked so good!! My only complaint is that they don't make a lot of sexy, pretty bras in my size. And they all seem to have a bow in the front. The bow does not make it sexy, people. But, they are getting better.
#18 Old 04-21-2005, 07:57 PM

34G!? I'm just a 32A. Sometimes I can wear a B, if it's the right style.

I suddenly feel really inadequate.
#19 Old 04-21-2005, 07:59 PM

A G? Are you serious? That is amazing! I'm glad they don't hurt ya!

As someone said, I am pretty sure the only thing you can do is pull the wire out and hope that it still works.
#20 Old 04-21-2005, 08:04 PM

I use delicate cycle in lingerie bag with mild detergent and hang dry. I am not much on underwires, I generally pull them out as I was told they are bad for you, and in general I don't find them comfortable. I haven't found any pre-made non-wire I like as I generally buy them in sets from VS with 2-3 matching panties.
#21 Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

I broke a Victoria Secret bra once
#22 Old 04-21-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:

A lot of it is that people aren't wearing the right sized bras. I didn't wear the correct size my entire life. Just threw on something that seemed to fit at Zellers (the Canadian Kmart).

I was wearing the wrong sized bra for YEARS. My poor boobs.

Quote:
And they all seem to have a bow in the front.

I HATE the bow!! I don't understand it.
#23 Old 04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Sky, you may have the wrong brand of bra also. Some brands place the cups a little further to the sides, thus reducing the gouge effect. Check out different brands. Go to one of those expensive shops and have their professional fitter help you find the brand that is built like YOUR body.
#24 Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 PM

Hah i've never had that happen before.... sorry no help.
#25 Old 04-21-2005, 08:28 PM

I either hand wash or wash on gentle cycle, then hang dry. If they start to stab me, they're trashed. Usually just the cheap ones do that, but that's the majority of what I have.
#26 Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 PM

I wear a 34DD and have yet to find that size in K-mart. I've searched high and low. Somebody before posted about how wireless ones make it seem like they aren't wearing a bra at all and I agree with that. They make my boobs look really saggy. There is only one that works and it is called "The Last Resort Bra". Only problem is the huge ass seam right across the nipples. It shows through every single shirt I own.

I have saggy syndrome though. I always feel like they are sagging.

Anyways, to answer your question, I would just replace it. Usually if the bra is old enough for an underwire to poke through, the fabric is too streched out anyways.
#27 Old 04-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:

The bow does not make it sexy, people.

#28 Old 04-21-2005, 10:04 PM

Quote:

I broke a Victoria Secret bra once

Victoria Secret bras seem to be one of the worst brands out there. The only one I had was very sag prone. Did I just get the wrong kind or what?
#29 Old 04-21-2005, 10:25 PM

I love VS bras, but they're so expensive. They make my boobs look like, well... boobs. I swear, people only think I'm about 7 years younger than I really am because I appear to have not hit puberty yet.

Someone share some boobage with me.
#30 Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

Someone share some boobage with me.

I'd give you some of mine if I could.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page