Avoiding Estrogen - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-14-2016, 01:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Avoiding Estrogen

So my mother had gone through various medicines that had increased her levels of hormones. She has been a vegetarian for a long time and I'd like to help her find foods that she can eat which can improve her iron and protein intake.

Thank you~
Gabby Sanoja is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-14-2016, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,690
Beans lentils seeds nuts dark greens
Cook with cast iron. Eat vitamin C with iron and avoid caffeine and too much salt with iron meals

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...er-kit-calcium

Are you not veg'n?

What's with avoiding estogen?
silva is online now  
#3 Old 07-14-2016, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Iron: blackstrap molasses, beans, tofu and tempeh, leafy greens, seeds, cream of wheat, brown rice. Consume a source of vitamin c with iron rich plant food for greater absorption, and avoid caffeine and high calcium/dairy intake at the same meal.

Protein: beans (especially lentils and split peas), tempeh, tofu, seeds (pumpkin, chia, sunflower...), whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, millet, wild rice, spelt, bulgur, barley, oats...), green vegetables, legumes. Soy milk has a higher protein and iron content than other plant milks.

I don't understand the estrogen thing either. What does that have to do with iron and protein? Are you by chance refering to soy? Soy is a phytoestrogen, not the same thing as estrogen. There are many many plants that are phytoestrogens, not just soy. For example, flaxseeds and cabbage. I'd be more concerned with the animal estrogens and other hormones that are in dairy products and meat.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
 
#4 Old 07-14-2016, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,690
@Naturebound --have you noticed this about molasses reading labels? I'm not a fan, only for ginger things, but noticed these two Plantation products differ a good bit:
this is their blackstrap

But this is their organic blackstrap:
The organic has only 8% calcium compared to a whopping 20% for the regular

Last edited by silva; 07-14-2016 at 02:35 AM.
silva is online now  
#5 Old 07-14-2016, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
@Naturebound --have you noticed this about molasses reading labels? I'm not a fan, only for ginger things, but noticed these two Plantation products differ a good bit:
this is their blackstrap

But this is their organic blackstrap:
The organic has only 8% calcium compared to a whopping 20% for the regular
Yes, I have noticed differences in various products. I too use the Plantation brand with the higher iron/calcium content, more so for the calcium than iron but I like that benefit too. I always make sure it is "blackstrap", and always check labels. I wonder if it has something to do with thickness/concentration? I've noticed differences in thickness and mediciny taste with some molasses brands. Plantation does have a strong bitter kind of taste, but I have grown to like it.

I love to put molasses on my toast, or in my oatmeal or smoothies. I also make bbq sauce with it, and Asian types of sauces for stir fries with blackstrap molasses. And I use it to make my homemade breads and muffins. Ive even drizzled it on sauteed leafy greens and pineapple/tempeh for breakfast.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#6 Old 07-14-2016, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,690
Yeah, they're both blackstrap, only difference is the lower calcium being organic. I'd suspect the other way around> I find that kind of variance in other products, but that's a big difference!
I'm gonna email the company for an explanation

I like your suggestion of pineapple. I love grilled pineapple and can see it paired with a molasses ginger glaze.
My favorite smoothie is fresh pineapple, ginger, matcha some soy milk. I bet I could add some molasses to that!
silva is online now  
#7 Old 07-15-2016, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Yeah, they're both blackstrap, only difference is the lower calcium being organic. I'd suspect the other way around> I find that kind of variance in other products, but that's a big difference!
I'm gonna email the company for an explanation

I like your suggestion of pineapple. I love grilled pineapple and can see it paired with a molasses ginger glaze.
My favorite smoothie is fresh pineapple, ginger, matcha some soy milk. I bet I could add some molasses to that!
Please do share if you get a response back from them!

I find it irritating when there are such huge discrepancies in nutrition labels and ingredients on products, even from the same brand. I've also noticed this with servings. I once bought some vegan protein powder that said 1 scoop 110 calories. I bought it again a few months later and it said 2 scoops 110 calories lol. Or I have found some foods to have different nutrition labels on the package than on the website.

I used to be obsessed with calorie content when I was really sick. I wanted to eat oat bran, but I couldn't bring myself to, because there was no consistent calorie amount. It varies widely from nutrition site to site and brand to brand. Bob's Red Mill always seems to have a higher calorie/nutrition content listed than other brands or generic bulk labels. I read once where they count the fiber that is not absorbed by the body or something like that, where other companies calculate that out of the equation. Maybe something to do with weight of the food too. Really, when you think about it, how in the world can there truly be an exact percentage or number regarding the nutrition that is in any given food. There are just so many variables.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#8 Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Plant Powered
 
Symondezyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Please do share if you get a response back from them!

I find it irritating when there are such huge discrepancies in nutrition labels and ingredients on products, even from the same brand. I've also noticed this with servings. I once bought some vegan protein powder that said 1 scoop 110 calories. I bought it again a few months later and it said 2 scoops 110 calories lol. Or I have found some foods to have different nutrition labels on the package than on the website.

I used to be obsessed with calorie content when I was really sick. I wanted to eat oat bran, but I couldn't bring myself to, because there was no consistent calorie amount. It varies widely from nutrition site to site and brand to brand. Bob's Red Mill always seems to have a higher calorie/nutrition content listed than other brands or generic bulk labels. I read once where they count the fiber that is not absorbed by the body or something like that, where other companies calculate that out of the equation. Maybe something to do with weight of the food too. Really, when you think about it, how in the world can there truly be an exact percentage or number regarding the nutrition that is in any given food. There are just so many variables.
I do graphic design for food packaging, and I come across this all the time. In Canada, the CFIA heavily regulates the way food products can be marketed and labelled, so it is a lot more precise. For example, companies are required by law to have a third party lab test and provide nutritional content for their labelling so that there is no bias.

Unfortunately, in the U.S., the guidelines are more lax. For example, product names are allowed to be misleading, ingredients can be disguised under unrecognizable names, and don't even have to be listed below a certain percentage, and companies are not required to use a third party lab, so sometimes the "facts" can be quite skewed. In addition, many values are rounded to the nearest 1 or 5 numeral, so it's not always as accurate as they'd like you to believe. I've also had companies "borrow" nutritional values from other companies' similar products, so I would use those "facts" as a guideline only, not as gospel ^_^

Additionally, we should keep in mind that the percentage of daily values listed on NFTs are based on a 2000-calorie a day diet, which some people don't even come close to, so instead of noting the percentages, note the grams/mg instead ^_^
Symondezyn is offline  
#9 Old 07-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,690
There is another brand that has the organic blackstrap as that much higher in calcium and the regular blackstrap that much lower, with iron the opposite way
While I can find arguments on line about soil conditions and other such variences, nothing that would relate to the difference in organic vs conventional.
I can't even find contact info for them

And the % is for RDA not of daily caloric values
silva is online now  
#10 Old 07-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Plant Powered
 
Symondezyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
There is another brand that has the organic blackstrap as that much higher in calcium and the regular blackstrap that much lower, with iron the opposite way
While I can find arguments on line about soil conditions and other such variences, nothing that would relate to the difference in organic vs conventional.
I can't even find contact info for them

And the % is for RDA not of daily caloric values
of course, but it's still an estimate based on an average, which may not be applicable for a lot of people - for example, the RDA for protein will vary widely depending on a person's age/weight/activity level, so it is still better to know your own personal needs and look at the grams/mcg rather than rely on the percentages on NFTs ^_^
Symondezyn is offline  
Reply

Tags
avoiding , estrogen , iron , protein

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off