Do I look unhealthy to you? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

#1 Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

Do I look unhealthy to you?

I get so frustrated when people think that I am malnourished because I'm vegan! I have the blood tests to prove I am healthier than I have ever been!

Can you share some pictures of yourselves (all PG please) so I can show that vegan = healthy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5305.PNG
Views:	178
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	11169

www.collatedstyle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Beginner

You look great.

I'm almost certain the majority of girls would love a figure like yours.

If they're saying you're malnourished it must be out of jealousy...
#3 Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think you look healthy and very pretty.

This is me (at eight months pregnant):

#4 Old 08-10-2015, 05:29 PM

I'm close to your size and I get the exact same thing. My aunt, who can't stand that I have a different diet from her, thinks I have an eating disorder. I have a healthy BMI, but since I'm not overweight, everyone thinks I must be starving.

I personally think that people are used to people, on average, weighing more or looking like they weigh more than I do, so to see someone small is just unhealthy to them. It's just society in my mind. And "curvy" is in.

I'd personally rely on numbers people like a doctor give me rather than someone's opinion, because it's only their opinion. And you look great!
Collated Style likes this.
#5 Old 08-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Impeach the psychopath

You look healthy to me, CS. No whey, you look pretty healthy too.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."

Last edited by Capstan; 08-13-2015 at 05:58 AM.
#6 Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

I love that you are pregnant and vegan! Do people judge you for that?
no whey jose likes this.
#7 Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm about the same size.

except that my arms are bigger now since i've been working out so hard at the gym.

i have a 30-year friend who in that time has more than doubled in size. she used to be so slender and beautiful, but after the second kid, she just gave up, i guess. she eats SAD.

she is constantly telling me that i am too skinny, look sick, have a deficiency, my coloring is off, and whatnot.

not too long ago i had a date with a 'catch.' a former politician in my hometown, gorgeous house, handsome, money, the works. only he is type II diabetic, overweight, and his whole life revolves around meat.

when i told my friend my objections about this 'catch' she grew furious with me. she said some things to me that i will never forget. it is difficult to say that we are still friends. she still calls me when she is in trouble but we don't really talk anymore. something broke.

some people get really defensive when they know they are wrong.

to me you are beautiful. not only beautiful, but in the superb range. sorry for quantifying it. my ideals were formed in the 60s and 70s when it was beautiful to be thin.

but in our obesogenic society, to be thin is to be abnormal.
#8 Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 PM

I agree with everyone, you look great! I won't share a picture of myself because I only just went vegan and am slightly overweight still.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
#9 Old 08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Do I look unhealthy to you?

deleted

Last edited by rasitha.wijesekera; 08-13-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: women's section
#10 Old 08-12-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
i'm about the same size.

except that my arms are bigger now since i've been working out so hard at the gym.

i have a 30-year friend who in that time has more than doubled in size. she used to be so slender and beautiful, but after the second kid, she just gave up, i guess. she eats SAD.

she is constantly telling me that i am too skinny, look sick, have a deficiency, my coloring is off, and whatnot.

not too long ago i had a date with a 'catch.' a former politician in my hometown, gorgeous house, handsome, money, the works. only he is type II diabetic, overweight, and his whole life revolves around meat.

when i told my friend my objections about this 'catch' she grew furious with me. she said some things to me that i will never forget. it is difficult to say that we are still friends. she still calls me when she is in trouble but we don't really talk anymore. something broke.

some people get really defensive when they know they are wrong.

to me you are beautiful. not only beautiful, but in the superb range. sorry for quantifying it. my ideals were formed in the 60s and 70s when it was beautiful to be thin.

but in our obesogenic society, to be thin is to be abnormal.
I completely understand the skin coloring issue. I went to visit my aunt with my mother after I first became vegetarian and my mother said something to my aunt. She immediately jumped to veg stereotypes and said "that's why she looks so green!" Well... I didn't look green to her beforehand, but I magically turned green after? My mother tends to agree with what I say when we're alone, but when she's with my aunt, everything is wrong with me. I'm anorexic and don't eat, my skin color is off (I'm naturally pale and she takes that as a sign as malnourishment, I have plenty of deficiencies, every time I say something hurts it's because I don't eat animal products.

Sometimes you just have to brush it off. So sad that people believe so whole-heartedly in these stereotypes and that everyone has them.
#11 Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Deleted pic/post - just realized this was the women's health issues section so my post was irrelevant!

I guess that's the downside of using the "new posts" link at the top to surf the site lol

Last edited by mrgrimm; 08-12-2015 at 06:01 PM.
#12 Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 PM
jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post
Deleted pic/post - just realized this was the women's health issues section so my post was irrelevant!

I guess that's the downside of using the "new posts" link at the top to surf the site lol
I'd say no foul - Capstan posted in here too )

And yep, ppl in here look healthy to me.
#13 Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
I agree with everyone, you look great! I won't share a picture of myself because I only just went vegan and am slightly overweight still.
Hey, vegans are all shapes, sizes, and weights! No size shaming here!
#14 Old 08-13-2015, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collated Style View Post
I love that you are pregnant and vegan! Do people judge you for that?
Not at all, and to be honest I'm kind of disappointed! I was all set to have an argument with someone about it. My pregnancy has been so healthy and my bloodwork so ideal that I'm eager to shove it in the face of anyone who dares question me-- but actually, everyone has been very sweet and supportive throughout. Damn nice people!
#15 Old 08-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Not at all, and to be honest I'm kind of disappointed! I was all set to have an argument with someone about it. My pregnancy has been so healthy and my bloodwork so ideal that I'm eager to shove it in the face of anyone who dares question me-- but actually, everyone has been very sweet and supportive throughout. Damn nice people!

Hahaha, I hate when that happens. No one ever picks a fight when I'm ready...only when I'm off guard and then I'm all, like, yeah...well...ummmm. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#16 Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
Hahaha, I hate when that happens. No one ever picks a fight when I'm ready...only when I'm off guard and then I'm all, like, yeah...well...ummmm. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know, right?!
#17 Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
I'd say no foul - Capstan posted in here too )

And yep, ppl in here look healthy to me.
I too didn't notice this was the Women's Health forum. I'll remove the picture I posted.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#18 Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Beginner

You look fantastic.

When I went vegan two years ago I had many people tell me to eat more and that I was getting too thin.

But I wasn't! I was well within the healthy range for my height, a little on the high side, even.

They were comparing me to the new American average: chubby and headed for diabetes and heart disease!
#19 Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Banned

Oh my god, she looks so...

NORMAL.
#20 Old 08-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Vegan Fashion blogger

Being a vegan is all about being prepared and I am always ready with protein and health stats when people criticise me. I've always been slim but have put a stone on since being vegan, probably because I'm focused on eating the right things!
#21 Old 08-15-2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
I gained the weight that I'd lost going lacto veg after I chose a vegan diet. To start, I lost a bit more, but then my food knowledge, cooking and baking skill improved and ---- I gained most back.
It was actually a very everweight, and long time vegan who helped me make the switch.

I'd just like to remind everyone that being vegan can be as unhealthy as most omnivores diets and that if you add some meat to an otherwise healthy diet isn't going to make you unhealthy

I don't mean to derail this thread, but one thing I don't like is the push towards outward images. Becoming vegan doesn't magically transform anyone to beaury anymore than make than unhealthy.
Good or bad health isn't always something you can see
#22 Old 08-16-2015, 02:49 AM
just add raisins

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'd just like to remind everyone that being vegan can be as unhealthy as most omnivores diets and that if you add some meat to an otherwise healthy diet isn't going to make you unhealthy

I don't mean to derail this thread, but one thing I don't like is the push towards outward images. Becoming vegan doesn't magically transform anyone to beaury anymore than make than unhealthy.
Good or bad health isn't always something you can see
I could not agree with this more.

I can't tell if the original poster is healthy or not by looking at her, and it's not my place to make judgements on her or anyone else based solely on her looks and specifically her weight, but I can tell you that making disparaging comments about people who are heavier is not doing anyone's health much good.

I like the Health at Every Size approach.
#23 Old 08-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscone View Post
I could not agree with this more.

I can't tell if the original poster is healthy or not by looking at her, and it's not my place to make judgements on her or anyone else based solely on her looks and specifically her weight, but I can tell you that making disparaging comments about people who are heavier is not doing anyone's health much good.

I like the Health at Every Size approach.
I agree, body shaming isn't helpful. What I can tell from the photo is that the OP appears to be thin and if her family is very overweight she may seem dramatically different in comparison. But she doesn't look actually underweight to me...my guess is low end of the normal BMI range....and so is unlikely to have health issues solely due to her weight. I see no visible signs of illness. She is very attractive.

However, I can't look at her and see her blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, bone health...or know if she leads an active lifestyle... Or if she eats an adequate amount for her nutritional needs... If she has energy...if she is happy and emotionally healthy...if her relationship with food is a healthy one... Outward appearance is only one indicator and an imperfect one at that.

I do tend to depart ways with the HAES approach when they say weight loss is impossible or actively discourage people from pursuing it. I find this aspect of their approach to be misguided. I agree that body size should not be the sole focus, people absolutely deserve respect from others and have equal worth regardless of size, that there are many aspects to health other than that, that it might be more practical to focus first on fitness or nutrition and adopting healthy habits regardless of size. But to take weight loss off the table for consideration as something to do for promoting health is misguided. Yes it is hard and might not be attainable for all or desired by all, not something we should hassle people about. Might not be the first issue to tackle. But some people can and do make permanent changes in their body size and for me this has been a hugely positive thing in my life. Did I hate myself before losing 118 pounds? NO. But I was not mentally healthy as my obesity was an outward symptom of unmanaged depression, anxiety, poor nutrition, and struggles with binge eating. Getting myself emotionally healthy was the first step in my journey and needed to be done before being successful with diets. I think HAES would agree with me there. Sometimes (often?) being underweight or overweight is more a symptom of something than the actual problem, the byproduct of an issue that might best be tackled directly (such as a physical or mental health problem, or poor nutrition, unhealthy relationship with food, not the right amount of exercise, etc). But once I was in a better place emotionally, I wanted to lose the weight that had been gained. I wanted to wear "normal" clothing again, to not stand out in a crowd for my obesity, to not take up two seats on an airplane, to feel like I looked my best, to do active things that were impossible or a struggle at my larger size, to minimize the risks to my health that my doctor was concerned about. So I chose to do the weight loss in a healthy and gradual way that promoted my health (not starvation or wacky fad diets) and that was about learning to live and eat better. I never learned about healthy and moderate eating at home, so I had to figure this out in my 40s! Switching to vegetarian and now mostly vegan was part of that journey (for mostly ethical reasons but also for health). As I understand HAES, they would say that I was wrong for this, that I was doomed to fail, I was not accepting myself enough, that I should settle for just being a morbidly obese person who is active and eats well because that is apparently the size I was destined to be. Or that I should just let the weight loss happen if it happens rather than intentionally managing my caloric intake. I say they are standing in the way of the last piece that I needed to do to restore my health!
#24 Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1439739262.032779.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	11369

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1439739277.301110.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	11377

Here are 2 photos, one in 2008, the other last week. I went from a BMI of 44.4 to 24.8 (morbidly obese to high end of the normal BMI range)

Despite outward appearance, I was actually healthy in both photos, from the standpoint of not having any active disease that a doctor needed to treat me for (though when heavier I was not taking good care of myself and was on a bad trajectory, health wise).

I'm doing better today but still have some areas where I'd like to grow! We all do, I suppose!

Last edited by Docbanana; 08-16-2015 at 09:05 AM.
#25 Old 08-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

To the OP, I think you look great and do not look unhealthy. I agree that you can not tell someone's health from looking at them, but I do understand the intent of your post. You are not too skinny and if you feel great then it is right in line with how you look. To Docbanana, your transformation is amazing. You look great and I would be willing to guess you feel great. I know a lot of people are vegetarian or vegan for different reasons, but I am sure your before and after pictures would definitely inspire a lot of people to eat a plant based diet.
#26 Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Did you want guys to contribute too? If so, I can move it to the general health forum. If not, it's fine keeping it here
#27 Old 08-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Beginner

Sorry for tour struggle. I actually just posted on my blog about ghis misconception. https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/201...lly-look-like/
Stay positive!!!
#28 Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

I'm happy for everyone to contribute. Interested to hear about men's experience as well!
#29 Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

This is really interesting, thanks for posting!
#30 Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Vegan Fashion blogger

You look great, such an amazing achievement and its good to hear you are healthy. That's the main thing!

Tags
fit , healthy , women’s health , womens health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page