Best home madeface scrub/wash? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Anybody make their own face wash/moisturizer?

I've been on a crusade to use only homemade or very limited ingredients face products. I like sugar and extra virgin olive oil. Also an awesome mask is turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and honey. For breakouts I swear by pure red cider vinegar.

Anybody else make their own facial products? How do they work out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 AM

I use an asprin mask. Just dissolve 3 or 4 non coated asprins in a little bit of warm water to make a paste then use it as a scrub or a mask.

I've never heard of using turmeric on your face. Doesn't it turn your skin yellow?
#3 Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera View Post

I like sugar and extra virgin olive oil.

I use salt and some type of oil, usually sweet almond.
#4 Old 10-16-2011, 04:37 AM

I do not use it on a regular basis, but I had really nice results with oatmeal, almond and soymilk. I grind the oatmeal/almonds in my magic bullet and add a little soymilk to make a paste. You can throw in a little olive oil, too if you like. Leaves your skin nice and smooth/soft! You can use it all over, not just on your face.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#5 Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I use an asprin mask. Just dissolve 3 or 4 non coated asprins in a little bit of warm water to make a paste then use it as a scrub or a mask.

I've never heard of using turmeric on your face. Doesn't it turn your skin yellow?

Turmeric sure will turn your face yellow! I just use a small bit and make sure to do it in the evening, not in the morning before I go to work. It is FANTASTIC for your skin and health in general. One of my favorite spices. :-)
#6 Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 AM

I wash my face with olive oil and then massage in about a tsp or 2 of baking soda and then rinse off. Follow up with rose water.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#7 Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

I use baking soda daily, it works great on my oily skin. Coconut oil as a moisturizer
#8 Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I use baking soda daily, it works great on my oily skin. Coconut oil as a moisturizer

I've been trying out the baking soda this week, thanks! :-)
#9 Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 PM

The oil doesn't make you ladies break out?

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#10 Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

deleted

#11 Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

The oil doesn't make you ladies break out?

I only started the oil recently so I can't really report on that. My face is kind of broken out right now but I'm attributing that to my period about to start. I read as long as you get a quality extra-virgin oil it won't make you break out. But I guess that really just depends on your skin. I tend to have dry skin so maybe I need more oil.

I'll report back after the big bad evil period has come and gone!
#12 Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

I remember reading that as long as the oil is plant-based, it won't make you break out. But I'm still afraid to try. I don't use moisturizer anyway.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#13 Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Sometimes I scrub with a bit of baking soda. I love how my skin feels afterwards.

I'm too oily to add any more oil.

I just started the baking soda and I love how it feels too! I like how it feels as I'm washing as well. It's almost like exfoliation but not exactly.
#14 Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Baking soda wont bother extra sensitive skin?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#15 Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Baking soda wont bother extra sensitive skin?

So far it hasn't bothered mine and my skin is pretty sensitive. I've only been using it about a week though. I'll keep updating. :-)
#16 Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

deleted

#17 Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 AM

i love jojoba oil and olive oil. on their own to moisturize or mix them with salt or sugar for a scrub.
i also used to use baking soda as a scrub and the aspirin mask is great.

Atame.
#18 Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM

I just tried scrubbing with baking soda, and I loved it! It didn't dry out or irritate my skin

I've also made the switch to using baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. My hair has never looked nor felt better!

Jean-Paul Sartre
#19 Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 PM

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer and I love it. It makes my skin so soft and smooth- and I have problem skin
I usually put it on my right before bed so it can fully absorb. If I put it on before going out, my skin definitely looks shinier. But I use it generously!
#20 Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I just tried scrubbing with baking soda, and I loved it! It didn't dry out or irritate my skin

I've also made the switch to using baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. My hair has never looked nor felt better!

I really like it too! How does the soda work on your scalp? I have a VERY dry and easily irritated scalp.
#21 Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

I really like it too! How does the soda work on your scalp? I have a VERY dry and easily irritated scalp.

It doesn't bother me, and the little bit of dandruff I had has cleared up. You also need to wash your hair less when you use this method, so you're agitating your scalp less. If you decide to try it, keep in mind that you'll go through a "transition" phase where your scalp and hair get accustomed to the new treatment. My scalp got a little oily, and my hair felt a bit like straw. But it only lasted about one week, and now it's shiny and soft.

This blog has good info:
http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-yo...thout-shampoo/

Jean-Paul Sartre
#22 Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks! I hope it does help, my scalp is hopeless, lol!
#23 Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 AM

I am doing the baking soda thing now once or twice a week. So far no irritation. I just bought yes to cucumber and mix it with that.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#24 Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM

I'm really in love with the baking soda right now. That, along with the Bio Oil before I apply my concealer in the morning, is making my skin look pretty dewy and lovely.
#25 Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM

oOo thanks for posting, sequioa! My shampoo is running out and I never liked it anyway. I am going to try the baking soda instead! I'll update in a week or two.

http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--That's the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#26 Old 11-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

oOo thanks for posting, sequioa! My shampoo is running out and I never liked it anyway. I am going to try the baking soda instead! I'll update in a week or two.

Let me know how it goes. Your hair will be icky for a little while, but it's worth it

Jean-Paul Sartre
#27 Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Okay so far the baking soda is helping with my scalp. Slowly but surely. And I love the vinegar for conditioner. My hair is looking good y'all.

Something else I'm starting to do is only rinse my hair with cold water. At the end of my shower, I rotate between cold and hot water for my entire body. It's super exhilerating and I read it has health benefits. I will have to refer back to the magazine to give more detail but I'm really liking it so far. I do this when rinsing my face too. I rotate the warm and cold water.
#28 Old 12-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Okay so far the baking soda is helping with my scalp. Slowly but surely. And I love the vinegar for conditioner. My hair is looking good y'all.

Something else I'm starting to do is only rinse my hair with cold water. At the end of my shower, I rotate between cold and hot water for my entire body. It's super exhilerating and I read it has health benefits. I will have to refer back to the magazine to give more detail but I'm really liking it so far. I do this when rinsing my face too. I rotate the warm and cold water.

I do that with the cold water too! It makes a huge difference!

Jean-Paul Sartre
#29 Old 11-08-2013, 05:11 PM

I use a olive oil/castor oil mix and a warm wash cloth and kind of steam my face with it.  Gets all make up off and skin is really soft.. I think I will try the baking soda thing though! Thanks for the ideas :)

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."-- Friedrich Neitzsche
#30 Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

-Baking soda to exfoliate (occasionally)
-Usually use purpose face wash but castor oil and olive oil works great. I used to apply, hop in the shower, let the warm stream open my pores, then wipe away with a wet wash cloth. It removed all makeup...even waterproof. Use more castor oil if you have an oily face. Use more EVOO if you have a dry face.
- Calcium bentonite clay mask weekly. This works great to exfoliate. You can pick the dry powder from any health food store.

I have combination skin. Oil never caused a break out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page