Can babies eat seaweed? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

I can't seem to find much about it online. Does anyone know if it's considered safe for infants (in this case my 8 month old daughter) to eat seaweed? Something like dulce or kelp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Beginner

I think it wouldn't be such a good idea because of the slippery texture they could choke, and also the salt content is/might be high. But this is just my opinion, I don't really know.
#3 Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Beginner

I agree...I even choked on it before and I'm 19 haha
#4 Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned

Oops should have specified, I was going to be using either kelp or dulce *powder* . With Jacob we gave him so many "odd things" to try when he was little and now he has very diverse taste, he eats way more "odd" stuff than other children his age that I've seen. So we're trying to do the same with Summer. I just bought dulce and kelp powder to use in a few things and had thought about throwing in just a little when making her baby food
#5 Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Beginner

I actually gave my little girl seaweed in the form of nori rolls from around that age. I cut them up into small pieces so she wouldn't choke of course. Maggie has always been fussy with food, but will chow down on anything if she can feed herself so that's what we do.

It does have a higher sodium level, but for the benefit of the calcium, zinc and iodine I'm more than happy to give it to her.
#6 Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley View Post

I actually gave my little girl seaweed in the form of nori rolls from around that age. I cut them up into small pieces so she wouldn't choke of course. Maggie has always been fussy with food, but will chow down on anything if she can feed herself so that's what we do.

It does have a higher sodium level, but for the benefit of the calcium, zinc and iodine I'm more than happy to give it to her

This was my reasoning . I figured I'd throw in kelp or dulce powder/flakes into her food when I'm making it for the nutrients of it all
#7 Old 05-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Beginner

I wonder if it would fall into the category of not giving babies spinach? though I don't remember the logic for that.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Beginner

^ ^

I think it's because of the high levels of iron.
#9 Old 05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

Oh wait they can't have spinach...? Jacob ate spinach all the time lol, oops you learn something new every day.
#10 Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Yeah, Josh did too - but that was donkey's years ago. This sort of advice seems to change all the time.
#11 Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Maggie has spinach cooked in stews all the time also. I add orange juice to help it all absorb. I suppose it could constipate some bubs cos of the iron levels?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page