Giving baby protein stuffs.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Beginner

Hello folks. I am here with yet another question. My small one is about 7 & 1/2 months now, and we're starting to give her some protein stuff. We gave her some lentils, and I let her have a bit of my dahl, I also plan to make a little baby hummus for her. Fun fun.

Question is, what did you guys do for protein stuff for babies? I'm not doing eggs or dairy, so neither will bébé, so what should I give her? Any recipes? Also, I read a lot of pages that said that I can give her some tofu now, but what about the soy concern (about allergies, not that it's the devil l)? Isn't soy on the list of things you should wait until a year for? Neither hubby nor I are allergic to anything, so there's not a big concern there.

Thanks folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Beginner

I love how this place is such a wonderful resource, with so many people willing to offer their help and ideas.......
#3 Old 05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Beginner

i dont have babies but did a quick google search for you. Hope these two pages help. The second page says tofu is fine after 8 months but obviously to try in small amounts first.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_27603_40.html

http://www.articlealley.com/article_26754_40.html
#4 Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I love how this place is such a wonderful resource, with so many people willing to offer their help and ideas.......

Okay, okay. I haven't had a baby in 10 years. He was breastfed almost exclusively for the first year. I don't think he had anything except fruits, veggies, and cereals until he was at least 15 months old because I was extremely concerned with allergies and he was not that interested in food.

But.....I think I've mentioned Dreena Burton's Vive le Vegan cookbook before. There is a wonderful timetable for introducing solids. The first proteins she recommends are lentils and beans at around 9 - 12 months. You might try mild hummus or spreads made from beans. She mentions bean pasta. After that she recommends seeds and seed butters (like hemp, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower) along with soy products at 12 - 18 months.
#5 Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Beginner

This is a question I'm juggling with myself, with my baby who's also 7 1/2 months old! I bought Vive le Vegan, and the timetable for feeding a baby is very helpful, plus it inspired me to make homemade baby food, so rah! However, I do think I've been getting mixed messages regarding what's appropriate at what age, especially regarding stuff like tofu. Is there any definitive information, or is just a personal decision, when it comes down to it?
#6 Old 05-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Beginner

I think it is more up to you (and as long as your ped ok's it) and what you feel your baby is ready for. My first ate table foods at 6mths, my second is 7mths and is just getting good into jar foods.

Both my girls have food allergies and neither hubby or I do. My older didn't get any major protein type foods until about 15-18mths. we followed the super baby food book for the "schedule" of introduction of foods. As long as their body doesn't seem to be having a hard time breaking down the proteins, I don't think there should be a problem. This is also the major reason (says our allergist) for the wait in giving a baby high protein items. Breastmilk proteins are allready broken down for easy digestion. Soy, is not.

Our ped also has their major protein/fat still coming from their formula. She says it should be that way (formula/breastmilk) until at least age 2.

Hope that makes sense.
#7 Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Beginner

At that age, all the protein baby needs comes from their breastmilk or formula, so you don't have to worry about it too much yet. After 9 months or so, you can start introducing mashed or pureed lentils or beans. Soy products you should wait until after they are a year old.
#8 Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Beginner

My kids eat dairy, but I try not to overdo it. We also have meals made of beans of all kinds. I'm pretty sure tofu is fine by 8 months.
#9 Old 06-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

My baby just turned 26....

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#10 Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Beginner

Most of the books I have show "first foods" to be things like pears, carrots, squash, rice and such. I don't even think you need to worry about protein till a year or so (even for "omni" babies) - the books I have don't even show introduction of "meat" or high protein blends until after a year, and its not a vegetarian book. Its a great question though!! I'd not worry about it unless your baby is showing a need for more calories than you can breastfeed for.
#11 Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Beginner

The only "protein foods" my kids ate before they got teeth were breast milk and formula (I'm not a very milky girl and I couldn't make enough to satisfy my hungry kids.)

I tried feeding them baby food but my kids just weren't into it. I figured if God wanted them to eat solid food, he'd have given them teeth sooner.

My kids are completely fine and healthy. My son is 15 and my daughter is 11.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page