help feeding vegetarian sister? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Beginner

i'm not a mother, but i could use some advice from that viewpoint. i hope that's ok.

i have to feed my sister, who is 16, during the summers and christmas break when i'm home from university. She has recently become a vegetarian. the problem is, she doesn't eat the vast majority of fruits or vegetables a vegetarian usually eats. (i suppose awful gag reflexes run in the family, she can't keep it down if she doesn't like it. eep!)

i'm worried about her health, and i'm worried about what i could feed her. at the moment it sounds like she just eats crisps and cheese pizza, etc. and she gets very upset at the prospect of eating meat, for animal welfare reasons. which i completely understand. but that doesn't leave many food options. so i was just wondering if anyone had any advice, or anything i hadn't thought of when feeding a vegetarian teenager who just can't stomach vegetables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Beginner

You should send her over here for advice on widening her diet. I have an awful gag reflex too, but I've managed to get around it a lot since I became vegetarian. For the record, the trick is trying very small bites and trying something repeatedly. What doesn't taste good the first couple times eventually becomes palatable.

There is a recipe section on this board, and a lot more can be found by searching the web. I'm fairly picky too. I eat a lot of potato products (the nutrients are in the skin, if she'll eat that). Vegetables lose their taste in soup, if she can handle the texture. You can also cut them very small or mash them and mix them into other things, like spaghetti sauce. By the way, spaghetti is a good vegetarian meal. I love it with garlic bread. Noodles can be prepared a lot of other ways, with many types of vegetables (check out the recipes). Same with rice.

Good luck! You sound like a great sibling.
#3 Old 11-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Beginner

thank you very much, that's quite a lot of stuff i didn't think of! i may try the small bites trick myself! ; )
#4 Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Beginner

Look on the web, there are lots of Vegetarian "meatloaf" type recipes... (If she liked this type thing as an omni, she might like a vegetarian version.) The reason I suggest it is because I cook and mash all SORTS of veggies in the vegetarian "meat" loaf and my kids never notice...

Does she like Mexican foods? Burritos, tacos and such? You can shred veggies and hide in amongst the other goodies in these foods.

A few shredded carrots can hide under the cheese on a pizza and she might not mind. (Cheese will hide a wide variety of things).

How about a dip for her chips? Take a "ranch" style dip and add cooked, drained spinich, a few shredded carrots, etc.

Pumpkin pie, carrot cake, zucchini bread, banana bread, oatmeal-raisin cookies, all of these actually have a bit of veggies/fruit in them and you can find recipes online.
#5 Old 11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Beginner

honestly, id tell her to grow the feck up.

if shes planning on being vegetarian the rest of her life she cant avoid vegetables!!! to save the animals its worth trying, tell her that! thats a really good way to give veg*n people a bad name and make them ill...
#6 Old 11-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

I was like that in my late teens. I lived on fruit juice, beer, and Little Debbie snack cakes. My wife was the same way. We both got better as we got older (independently).

Probably the best you can do is try to get her to join you at meals. For me at that age, it was more a lack of motivation than anything else.
#7 Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

honestly, id tell her to grow the feck up.

if shes planning on being vegetarian the rest of her life she cant avoid vegetables!!! to save the animals its worth trying, tell her that! thats a really good way to give veg*n people a bad name and make them ill...

Um...no...actually one of my daughters hates vegetables. She always has. I can "disguise" them and make healthy meals - and she'll choke them down but if she's not around me she lives on cheese pizza and fruit. (At least there's fruit).

I know she'll probably change her tastes as she gets older. Pushing the issue is only going to make for problems worse than I already have.

She hasn't been sick a day in her life, though I agree, it's NOT a good example or "healthy" way to eat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page