Veggie Kids - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Does anyone have vegetarian or vegan kids? i have a 5 year old & a 2 year old. We get lots of stupid comments about them having a meatless diet - like "do they get sick alot because they don't eat meat?" (what?)

My 5 year old was a chicken eater until the age of 2, and then we went vegetarian. my 2 year old have never had meat. we do eat ice cream, some cheese, but will not drink cow milk.... it can be difficult - just wondering if there are any other parents here ;-)

thanks!

jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

There is a section on VB called Raising Vegetarian Children, they might be able to help you more!

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/f...play.php?f=110

And I give you my best wishes in dealing with people's comments. When I was talking to my boyfriend about raising my future kids veggie, he made comments and they really upset me. I hope your family becomes more supportive.
#3 Old 01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
kat

Hey welcome along, there seems to be plenty of parents with veggies kids on here. My brother became veggie at 5 and is now a healthy and strong 26 year old! I've been veggie since I was 12 and have had no problems. Me and my brother hardly ever get ill.

Hope you find the boards useful,

#4 Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 AM

hi jenny, my son is 13 and my daughter is 10 and both have been vegetarian since birth

they tell their friends if they're comfortable, if they have extended visits and can eat vegetarian they do otherwise we feed them before they leave

"do they get sick alot because they don't eat meat?" lol, my kids are usually the largest in their class and as healthy as any other kid their age
#5 Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Baby Love

Hey, Jenny ... another Jenny here

There are several veg parents on the boards.
#6 Old 01-24-2005, 11:22 AM

Hi! I have two sons ages, 5 and 6. We're what I'd guess you'd call strict vegetarian. We've been veg*n for coming up on a year, but there are lots of folks here who have veg*n kids who were even veg*n in utero!

I mostly ignore folks who have bad things to say. Or I will counter with the amazing health and rapid growth of my two bottomless pits.

I also remind myself that meat or no meat, what my kids eat is way healthier than the standard American diet. I've seen my son's schoolmates' lunchboxes. It's sad.

Welcome! Hope to see more of you around here!
#7 Old 01-24-2005, 11:58 AM

My kid's went veggie about the Spring of last year. We have had the absence of viruses and colds for the first fall and winter ever. YIPPIE!

Now, we also cut out almost all Dairy, as I am convinced it attacks the respiratory system. So with that, I beleive a well planned veggie diet is not only healthy for kid's, I think it's the healthiest! And my kid's love most of the new dishes I make.

Good Luck!
#8 Old 01-26-2005, 08:25 PM

Since going l/o veggie almost 2 years ago, my kids have tried almost everything new I've prepared. They have been so open minded, I am so proud of them. Their favorite dinner is Tacos made with veggie ground 'beef'.

We actually saw a dietician early in our transition. That really helped with my confidence. Everything that she recommended we were already doing!

#9 Old 01-27-2005, 08:45 AM

Welcomr to the boards! My son has never eaten meat, and he's turning 2 in a couple of weeks. He's a very healthy little boy. He did get the flu last year when he was 10 months old, he was in the sucking on the shopping cart handle phase. This year he hasn't had more than a runny nose for a couple of days.

A good question for those who ask if your kids get sick alot from not eating meat...."How often do your kids get sick?" More than likely it won't be much more than how often your kids get sick. Then the person will see what a stupid question that is to ask. I was a meat eater when I was a kid, and I NEVER got sick. I don't think eating meat, or not eating meat makes a person more inclined to be sick.

At any rate, you'll find there are alot of veg*n families on these boards, who are always more than willing to give moral support when needed.
#10 Old 01-28-2005, 03:26 PM

welcome jennie, my son (15monts) has been veg since birth and i have been for several years. he's quite healthy though likes breast milk better than food still

you might want to check out different threads such as "what did you feed your kids today?" there are also other good ones in the veg kids section of VB.

my "mother-in-law" threatens to give our son hotdogs but we ignore her. mostly we just do our thing. we haven't gotten too many dopey comments though i'm sure we will off and on as he grows and gets more social and outwardly focused. good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page