Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By wildflowerliz
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By Joan Kennedy

#1 Old 05-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Smile Trying to transition my family!

Hi guys!

So I am transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, and my fiancé and my 5 year daughter are transitioning to a plant-based diet. We recently watched Forks over Knives and my which made my fiancé agree to go on the diet.

I talked with my daughter and showed her a few videos on YouTube by Bite Sized Vegan (made for kids) and she showed a lot of interest in being vegan and of course she loves animals and doesn't want to hurt them.

However this weekend we went to my fiancé's parent's house and this morning his mom made bacon for breakfast. She knows we are on a vegan diet, although I think she thinks it mostly for health reasons and doesn't know about my ethical and environmental concerns. But she made bacon for a couple other people who were there (non-vegans) because of course she wanted to be a good host for them.

I haven't been tempted by the smell of animals products lately, however my fiancé and my daughter are a different story. My fiancé asked me if I would get mad if he ate bacon, and I said no I guess not. Honestly I feel like he's an adult and he should make his own decisions.

Then my daughter asked for some bacon, and I took her into another room and talked to her about how its a dead animal, and the pig had to die for that bacon. I also told her I wasn't going to eat it because I didn't like the idea and it wasn't good for my body. She got very upset and refused to eat anything else that I had brought (vegan muffins, fruit, granola bars, etc) and eventually I said okay its your choice, and I let her have two pieces.

I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I think the only way we could have gotten away with telling her no would have been to leave the house right away so she would stop asking and whining. She's not a bad kid, but she was hungry (naturally) which makes her way more crabby. Also this was the first time seeing his family since we started the transition, so I expect it will be a learning process.

Thanks for letting me share this! I'm open to any feedback and thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Hi Wildflowerliz, good for you, having support from the whole family to live a vegan lifestyle (even if only when Grandma doesn't cook bacon!) I can emphasize - I have a 5-year-old as well and a very supportive husband. Although we agreed not to make the whole family vegan, I am all-out vegan now and the family has drastically lowered consumption of animal products. When I talk to my little boy about animals, he agrees that he doesn't want to eat them; however, later in the day, he will demand 'meat' and when he is hungry, there is no reasoning with him. I think that, at such a young age, it is hard to expect such a drastic change to catch on right away (And we're talking about a crazy empathetic little guy here, he gets sad about broken trees, bugs who lost their mommy, etc. Still, it hasn't completely 'clicked' for meat. One day, it will.) As for your fiancé, you are right, he is a grown man and can make his own decisions. Just remember that you've got it really good and your family is trying, even if they slip up now and then. The change is harder for some people than others, so try not to stress too much. Best of luck!
#3 Old 05-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Thank you so much Jenn2! I really appreciate your response. Your little boy sounds very sweet! It is the same with my daughter... impossible to reason with when she is hungry! I do feel very lucky to have a supportive family. I will try not to expect perfection right away!!!
Jenn2 likes this.

#4 Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Isn't there vegetarian bacon out there? I know it is not "vegan" but If I were vegan and "slipped up," I would rather slip up by eating vegetarian food than real meat. I think there are like those vegetarian bacon flavored salad bits.

I am sorry grandma did not understand what you were trying to do.
#5 Old 06-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
Isn't there vegetarian bacon out there? I know it is not "vegan" but If I were vegan and "slipped up," I would rather slip up by eating vegetarian food than real meat. I think there are like those vegetarian bacon flavored salad bits.

I am sorry grandma did not understand what you were trying to do.
http://www.peta.org/living/food/vegan-bacon-brands/
Joan Kennedy likes this.
#6 Old 06-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm crabby when I'm really hungry too. Maybe it would help to have something fast at the ready, so that by the time she smells bacon at Grandma's she's already had a peanut butter sandwich or something.
LedBoots and Symondezyn like this.
#7 Old 06-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Happy Vegan

hi there,
I am vegan and have two sons who are 11 and 13. at home we eat vegan/vegetarian food (they have cheese when we have pizza ) but when they are out i leave them free to make their own choices as to whether or not they eat meat. more and more i am finding that they are choosing not to eat the meat and are coming around to plant based living all on their own, mainly because they feel so much better eating plant foods - meat now makes them feel a bit icky when they eat it. they are learning through experience, trial and error and watching what i eat and do - and then making the choice for themselves.

i think you just have to give these things time and not expect everyone to change overnight. lead by example and with delicious foods and i am sure you will see your family coming around in the not too distant future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
daughter , family , kids , transition , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page