VeggieBoards banner

1 year old nutrition. Multivitamin?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Smoores 
#1 ·
I've been a vegetarian for 4 years and am making the transition to a vegan diet along with my child. My husband has decided to join us too! It hasn't been very difficult since most of the dinners I cooked were vegan anyway but I have some concerns about my daughter. She is a very healthy girl. She is breastfed, receives a vitamin d supplement, and has been mostly vegan since birth with the exception of cheese but we will be removing the cheese from her diet now as well.
My question is, is a multivitamin for her a good idea? My husband and I both take them, myself because of breastfeeding, and him just because.
Also, what about omega 3 supplements for the little one?
And lastly, what plant milk is best for her and for us? I'm a little wary of soy milk because of the estrogen.
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I think supplements are good idea. But sometimes multi vitamins aren't the best option. For example, some vitamins are better with just water others are better with food, some need fat, etc. So when it's a multi you risk some of the vitamins not getting absorbed as well as they might if they were separate.

If you do a multi I would suggest either the power kinds or chewable. And always watch while baby takes them to prevent choking.

The things I'd look for are:
-B12
- vitamin D
- omegas

Here's a good link: http://www.theveganrd.com/2012/11/a-healthy-start-for-vegan-children.html

About soymilk: there's really nothing to worry about. The phytoestrogen (not estrogen) is not a problem. Millions of kids have had soy products early in life without problem. The only thing to worry about is an allergy.

Take a look at this about soy: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

#6 ·
I've been a vegetarian for 4 years and am making the transition to a vegan diet along with my child. My husband has decided to join us too! It hasn't been very difficult since most of the dinners I cooked were vegan anyway but I have some concerns about my daughter. She is a very healthy girl. She is breastfed, receives a vitamin d supplement, and has been mostly vegan since birth with the exception of cheese but we will be removing the cheese from her diet now as well.
My question is, is a multivitamin for her a good idea? My husband and I both take them, myself because of breastfeeding, and him just because.
Also, what about omega 3 supplements for the little one?
And lastly, what plant milk is best for her and for us? I'm a little wary of soy milk because of the estrogen.
Thanks in advance!
Take some B12 yourself and your baby will get some through your milk. Breastfeed as long as you and your little one want to, it is the healthiest thing.
I wondered about that as well. The prenatal vitamin I take is 25mcg or 313% DV. Should I be taking more than that to ensure she gets enough thorough my milk? I plan on breastfeeding for as long as she wants and I don't see her quitting any time soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.