VeggieBoards banner

Voluntary Vegetarian Child

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ElaineV 
#1 ·
So, we are two on-again/off-again vegetarians in this house (we do not have the moral strength to do it full time; kudos to those of you who do), living with a full time vegetarian. My boyfriend's little girl of seven watched Blue Planets with us a few months ago, and when it came to the part where the orcas killed a calf to eat, we had a long conversation about what meat is and where it comes from. This week she came to us and told us that she did not want to eat animals anymore, because it bothers her that we have to hurt animals to do it. We are fine with this and want to support her fully in her decision. I have asked family members for advice on nutrition and balancing her diet, since we all try to be pretty educated, and I want to make sure she gets everything she needs, and I have gotten a sort of condescending "Humor her, she will realize she misses corn dogs in a couple months" response.

This was much the same sort of attitude I have dealt with since I was the same age, when I decided for ethical reasons that I did not want want children of my own, so I am very well aware that this could (and judging by our conversation yesterday, may very well be) a long-term to permenant decision for her. Given everything (and also the fact that I do all the meal planning), I am pretty hellbent on the idea that if she wants to be a vegetarian, that I will do everything humanly possible to be sure that she has all the information and and nutrition she needs. While she is doing this, my boyfriend and I will very likely be vegetarian as well, as much to offer support as because it is easier to make a single meal, and because he and I both enjoy our vegetarian stints. It is better for us, too.

My question is, given that she is a child and has a different profile of dietary needs from an adults based on that fact alone, are there any good resources or suggestions that you guys have for making sure that she has everything she needs? Also, if you have any ideas as to how to teach her about taking charge of her nutrition, that would be great. I am happy to do it, but I also want to make sure she has the tools to make good eating decisions without having to spend the hours on Google that I have spent.

Sorry if I am in the wrong place, or an unwelcome intruder. You guys definitely have a very strong community here, so please feel free to let me know if I might find better information elsewhere.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there, I wanted to post on this topic because I myself became a voluntary vegetarian when I was 10, and my mum did a pretty good job of supporting me with that. For starters, there's loads of substitutes for meat products out there, I personally like Quorn and Linda McCartney for my meal times. It's also important to make sure she tries lots of different fruit and veg from an early age, because then she'll more likely grow up liking an array of healthy foods. Another thing is most kids really like sweets, and I know that's one thing I missed when I became vegetarian, because Haribo sweets and a lot of gummy sweets like those have Gelatine in which is an animal product. Saying this, I know you can get substitutes for these too, you just have to look for the green leaf logo on the food you buy. Anyway I hope this helped a little, if you have an questions for me, ask away :)

#4 · (Edited)
#5 · (Edited)
Thank you so much! This is a great starting point.

Protein is one of several specific nutrients that I was worried about. We eat a lot of black beans and rice to begin with because of her parents Hispanic background, so I am not as worried about that as I am about, say, calcium. She is already pretty well versed in Google and YouTube, so I kinda figure that eggs and milk will be next on the list. For now, we have tried to impress on her the importance of taking her vitamins.

#6 ·
Please take notice that animal products such as milk and eggs are very much part of the very terrible animal abuse industry, and that protein and calcium and all good for us nutrients can be obtained in abundance by plant sources.

Reactions: Diesel
#7 ·
For calcium, focus on low oxylate leafy greens (add to salads, sandwiches, fruit smoothies etc) such as collard greens, bok choy, kale, broccoli etc. Kids might be more willing to eat them if you mix them with fresh fruits like pineapple or oranges. Blackstrap molasses is also high in calcium (something like 20% RDA calcium in one tablespoon). I like to use it in hot cereals, on toast, in Asian stir fry sauces, or in homemade bread. Plant milks can provide a good bit of fortified calcium and D, and some types of tofu are fortified with calcium. Same with some orange juices. Sesame seeds, almonds, tahini (in hummus for instance) are good sources of calcium also.

Here is some information about nutrition for vegetarian children:

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.php (if you scroll down, there are charts for daily needs for vegetarian children)
http://pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/vegetarian-diets-for-children-right-from-the-start

#8 ·
Reactions: Tiger Lilly
#9 ·
This isn't kid-specific, but 'vego-specific'.

When you talk about any kind of nutrient that we need, be it protein, calcium, zinc, iron, whatever.... Just remember that all of those things come from plants to begin with. The reason animals have protein in them is because they ate plant-foods with protein in them. Cows don't magically produce calcium, they eat plants rich in calcium (and in some cases, at least in America I think, they're given calcium supplements!).

Also "Becoming Vegetarian" is a GREAT book (it has vegan stuff in there too). I'd give it to my carnist friends, if I thought they'd read it :p

Frys are a good faux meat company as well. They just came out with some hotdogs (at least, we just got them here) and it's scary realistic!

As much as possible though, make faux meats a sometimes meal. I'd say that to anyone. They're great for transitioning, or to try as a treat. But the more whole foods and experimentation with other textures and flavours, the better!

Finally, it sounds like you're REALLY being awesome. You're taking her decision seriously and even if she does backtrack (I hope she doesn't!), she's going to remember how supportive you were!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.