VeggieBoards banner

9 year old semi picky daughter

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  kallyho 
#1 ·
hello! I am a new member and am a dabbling vegetarian. My 9 year old daughter has recently decided to be veg and has way more willpower than i do! Anyway, she is pretty thin as it is and has lost about 4lbs since going meat free in March. I don't want to create food issues with her... she loves most veggies, but is clearly missing some calories. Not a bean eater, enjoys occasional fake meat. I am trying to gently remind her that eliminating meat means she needs to add something else (i.e. beans, tofu, more eggs), but she is reluctant. My next step is to sit down with a dietitian, but thought this group would be a good resource. Yes, she eats peanut butter... but would rather eat a salad!

KT

#2 ·
Add nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, etc. and/or seeds like sesame, sunflower (raw and hulled),pumpkin, etc to her salads. Head to the library with her and check out some cookbooks (I like Isa Moskowitz (Veganomicon), Tanya Barnard (How it all Vegan), Rip Esselstyn (The Engine 2 Diet), along with some nutrition books (The Complete Idiot's Guide to a Plant Based Diet by Julianna Hever is one of my favorites, along with the Veganist by Kathy Freston). Both of you go over them, and make some delicious meals together. I really hope this helps. Good luck.

#3 ·
My daughter has been raised as a vegetarian. She was allways thin and fragile. She didn't eat much. She is adult now and tries to cook forgotten vegetables (she eats very good now). And she has second dan in taekwondo. Still small and tiny.

#4 ·
Being a pretty picky eater as a kid... You gotta find what she LOVES to eat... Learn how to make it delicious, and she will eat it.

Also give her alot of snacks, in small portions.. Throughout the day, eventually she will get used to it.. then expect it.

GL.

#5 ·
I hear ya about picky kids! I have three. Although they need protein I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's no such thing as protein deficiency. Having said that perhaps she would be inclined to enjoy a fruit smoothie with a high quality plant protein powder. No it's not a whole food. But most of today's raw food powders are pretty dang close. I suggest this because what you don't want is her to be lacking any amino acids. Those you can be deficient in. If you blend the powder with something like banana or mangos. They have a thicker consistency and will mask the powdery texture most kids can't stand. My 8 year old son has a limited menu and I've been able to ween him onto a protein shake. Start with a quarter or half scoop and work your way up to a full serving. Divide the smoothie over that day if needed. Serve with a straw. That helps them get it in with less mouth feel. Good quality powders will have a finer texture. I suggest vanilla or chocolate. Find one flavored with stevia or a whole food swetener. My son and I love the Sun Warrior brand.

Otherwise. Keep her carbs up. If she won't eat a lot of fruit in one serving than starches are the next best thing. Kids need calories to grow and play. Potato's, rice, squashes, pastas etc...

You can sneek flax meal into spaghetti sauce for omegas and fats. Be creative.

Wide spectrum kids multivitamin will help.

My two cents

#6 ·
A nutritionist or dietician sounds like a good idea.

To up calories you could add nuts, olive oil, avocado/guacamole, bananas, dried fruits, peanut butter or almond butter... have you tried quinoa or farro salads with her? Lots of recipes that are healthy and have oil-based dressings.
This might be a good bean salad recipe to try, since it's a lighter flavor than you usually get with beans: http://thegreekvegan.com/giant-bean-salad/

Does she eat roast veggies? I'd try to mix in things like potato wedges and sweet potato chunks. Starches. You could also put her veggies over brown rice, mashed potatoes, and the like. She may be more apt to eat that if the sauce and taste of what she likes transfers to the starches too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.