VeggieBoards banner

What did you feed your kids today?

152K views 1K replies 214 participants last post by  etoiles 
#1 ·
I hope this takes off, because I would love to see what other folks feed their veg*n kids. But also, it will help me a little bit to track what I'm feeding the boys. My boys are 4 & 5 and we are moving towards vegan.

Yesterday:

B: Gorilla Munch w/silk & half a banana, cherry cider juice (from TJ's) and a vitamin

L: Half a pita w/natural pb & sliced bananas, baby carrots w/ranch dip, pirate's booty & chocolate silk

S: Tofutti Cutie (dh is out of town so we splurged
)

D: Morningstar chikn patties on buns w/sliced tomato & lettuce; potato chips w/ranch and an apple with pb dip, chocolate silk

No after dinner snack, we ate dinner way too late.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fun idea!

I have 2 kids (ages 4 & 2), here is what they had yesterday:

B: Oatmeal w/ raisins, soy milk and little raw sugar. One banana each and OJ

S: Grapes, Orange slices, Apple juice

L: Left over sauteed zucchini and mushrooms from previous nights dinner, Whole wheat raisin bread w/ honey (we aren't totally vegan), and steamed brocoli (their FAVORITE food of all time!) Chocolate soy milk

S: Half a Cookies and Cream Cliff bar (they are my husband's energy bars, but the kids LOVE them!) Bottled water (our tap water is nasty)

S: Popcorn, apple slices

D: Avocado and Spinach soup, Boca vegan burgers, sweet potato "fries" (I cut them into slices, season and bake in the oven - very yummy!) and baked beans.

Desert: 100% fruit popsicles

So far today has been:

B: Soy flax waffles w/ strawberry jelly, bananas, and OJ

S: Sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and avocados

L: Natural Peanut butter & Jelly sandwiches, mixed veggies (from frozen bag), and corn on the cob

S: Apple slices and dry Fruity-o's cereal (I tried to get them to eat some raw walnuts, but no luck
The only nuts they will eat are cashews and salted peanuts)

For dinner I am planning on making Mexican and we will have Tostadas (with beans and rice, tomatoes, guacamole, lettuce) Black eyed peas and maybe green beans.

#3 ·
Ok, so here's today kid friendly vittles:

B: Gorilla Munch w/silk & half a banana, cherry cider juice and a vitamin

L: Half a pita w/natural pb & sliced bananas, sliced mushrooms w/ranch dip, kiwi fruit

S: Fruit leather & goldfish crackers

D: Potato pierogis, couscous, and corn

S: Apple w/pb dip

The boys eat peanuts and soy nuts. We haven't tried any others yet.

#4 ·
This is an excelent idea! My son is 2 and to be honest his diet is pretty poor. Right now I am trying to improve both of our diets(I am vegan and he is lacto-vegetarian, but only until I can get him off the cheese!)

B: whole wheat toast with a slace of cheese melted on,cranberry juice,vitamin

S: health valley chocolate bar,cashews

L: half a peanut butter sandwich, pretzals, fruit leather

S: another fruit leather

D: 2 Vans flax waffles with maple syrup, cup of Silk Very Vanilla soy milk, a small cookie

Notice the lack of veggies. He won't touch anything but raw broccoli and that is only sometimes. Do you guys have any tips on how to get my son to eat more veggies, and fruit too?

#1,103 ·
I'm not a mom, but I watch this thread for ideas for my niece. It's probably too late at two, but instead of a teething ring my mom would give me and my sisters raw broccoli to gnaw on to soothe our gums. We did the same for my niece, and she loves veggies just as much as we did growing up. (It's hilarious to watch her feed the rabbit then take the veggies back for herself!) I figure it was sort of an unintentional conditioning in which we came to associate vegetables with comfort (or at least relief from pain.) Maybe try offering produce when your son is in a good mood, but don't push it when he's fussy or upset. I also recently read an article stating kids were more likely to eat their veggies when you talk about how yummy they are vs how healthy they are. Hopefully that helps!

#5 ·
my 4 yr old hungry little vegan twins had:

breakfast:

home made banana bread spread with PB and topped with raisins.

soymilk

a piece of fruit--i forget what one!!

i like banana bread as mine has a ton of bananas, flax seed, and i use PB for the fat in the recipe. so, a fruit, a grain and a protein right there!!

lunch:

whole wheat penne pasta covered in one of the uncheese sauces from "The ultimate uncheese cookbook"

olives

peas

dinner:

homemade coleslaw

cubes of uncheese

bread spread with a tangy white bean spread topped with "bacos"

they were offered white mushrooms but declined.

they really eat just about anything. always have. at breakfast i offer two fruits and a grain. at lunch and dinner two veggies and a grain. and always soymilk. never anything else really, except water when they ask!!

good luck!!!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijahbaby View Post

Notice the lack of veggies. He won't touch anything but raw broccoli and that is only sometimes. Do you guys have any tips on how to get my son to eat more veggies, and fruit too?
My half brother (an omni, sadly) wouldn't eat anything but canned pasta with meat sauce for about a year, we got him to eat better by putting sugar in his veggies (like glazed carrots, broccoli cooked with a little sugar in the water, sweet dressing on salad, etc.) and by letting him help cook, he'll eat almost anything he helped cook himself, and if he doesn't eat it, he'll at least try it. I know your son is only two, but he could break green beans, or tear salad greens? Boyd was a pretty good stirer at that age, maybe mix fruit salad?

#7 ·
Quote:

This is an excelent idea! My son is 2 and to be honest his diet is pretty poor. Right now I am trying to improve both of our diets(I am vegan and he is lacto-vegetarian, but only until I can get him off the cheese!)

B: whole wheat toast with a slace of cheese melted on,cranberry juice,vitamin

S: health valley chocolate bar,cashews

L: half a peanut butter sandwich, pretzals, fruit leather

S: another fruit leather

D: 2 Vans flax waffles with maple syrup, cup of Silk Very Vanilla soy milk, a small cookie

my kids eat whatever. for a fun factor i use raisins to make smiley faces on bread with peanut butter. also on pancakes. you can puree many veggies to "sneak" them into many foods. use canned pumpkin in oatmeal sweetened with pureed bananas. uh....dunno what else. i can probably cough up more as i think of it!!! good luck to you and how lucky am i that i have never struggled in this way!!

#9 ·
Quote:

Have you tried making smoothies? My kids love banana and choc. soy milk smoothies (I always try to add some flax seed oil into the smoothies) - you could throw in some other fruits like blueberries, strawberries, apples, ect (although it would probably taste better w/ vanilla soy milk if you add those) My kids love steamed brocolli w/ veg-it seasoning, my son's favorite food is soup, so I make homemade vegetable soup a lot and he devours it. The other night my aunt made brocolli soup with some almond milk, cooked brocolli and a little bit of tofu all thrown in the blender and it was amazing! Sometimes if it's just in a different form (soup or smoothies) kids will be more open to eating vegetables they normally wouldn't. My daughter will eat veggies she normally doesn't like when they are wrapped up in a veggie fajita (we put brocolli, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, ect. in a foil wrap and cook it outside on the grill - it is delicious!!).

Hope those suggestions help some!

Take care,

Christine

#11 ·
Sebastian (he's 4 and vegan) has had so far today-

B- Peanut butter and banana on whole wheat toast and a cup of chocolate soymilk

S- an apple, pretzels and 3 Goldenberg Peanut Chews

L- A slice of leftover pizza with green peppers, olives, onion, veggie pepperoni, nutritional yeast parmazano and olive oil

I think we're going to have a spinach/rice tvp thing for dinner - haven't decided yet and maybe some popcorn and a smoothie later on tonight

#12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried making smoothies and he does like the one I make with choc.silk,banana and peanut butter but if I change the ingredients around at all he won't touch it. I think he doesn't like big chunks of veggies so I am going to puree some in a tomato sauce and see how that goes.That could also work with soup. Smedly-I would also like to try your banana bread. It sounds delicious!

B: whole wheat toast with melted cheese, leather

At day care-

S: crackers and juice

L: bread and water

S: crackers and juice( I am not to happy about the food he was given at daycare today,it doesn't seem like enough food,or very healthy food for that matter)

S: (at home again)apple and peanut butter,big cup Very Vanilla Silk

D: soy hot dog,raw broccoli,mac and cheese

#13 ·
ooh my kids had smoothies for breakfast.. strawberry banana to be exact.. also some granola.

snack: they had at school and I think they all had fruit cups. My son's preschool has snacks but they are yogurt and stuff like that a lot of times so I have to send extras every week. I also have to pack lunches.

Lunch was salad day... green lettuce, chopped seitan, cherry tomatoes, cukes, shredded carrots and an olive oil salad dressing.

after school they had apples and oranges and some soymilk. One had a bowl of cereal instead.

Supper: tacos which are taco tvp, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour supreme and shells. homemade applesauce and strawberry/kiwi/ grape fruit salad. 100% juice cranberry juice blend.

they will probably have peanut butter toast for a snack later with soymilk or water.

they drink about two gallons of water when they get home from school til bedtime between the three of them.

#14 ·
Quote:

At day care-

S: crackers and juice

L: bread and water

S: crackers and juice( I am not to happy about the food he was given at daycare today,it doesn't seem like enough food,or very healthy food for that matter)
I agree with you. That sucks! Bread & water sounds like prison food, not daycare food!

#15 ·
Ok, here's what the kids ate today:

B: Grapenuts cereal w/ banana slices, OJ, half a Carrotcake Cliff bar, Vitamins

S: Apple slices, Whole wheat tortillas w/ melted soy mozarella (quesodillas - sp?)

L: Soy nuggets, mango slices, carrot sticks, Organic Apple juice

S: Peanut butter/oatmeal balls (The kids LOVE making these and rolling them with their hands and they are really yummy!), Orange Juice

S: Whole fruit popsicles

D: Whole wheat spaghetti w/ Daddy's special home-made sauce (loaded with veggies and the BEST spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted!) Baby spinach and romaine salad w/ walnuts (they actually ate the nuts!), Whole wheat garlic toast, Soy milk

Desert: Toffuti cutie ice cream sandwiches

#16 ·
Hello all. Although i dont have any kids I do have a 10 yr old brother that I try recipes out on, and since I normally make dinner, and he normally eats some of it lol, I figured I'd add whatever it is that I made.

Tonight it was Vegan sloppy Joes made w/ seasoned tvp and the sauce from VegWeb- I think it's called sloppy steves- but I use less ketchup add some tomato sauce mixed w/ chopped up tomato, and some sweet relish (about a forkful). I also made oven fries, sliced up potatoes w/ a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash and season salt.

#17 ·
ok--now two people have asked and i must fess up that it changes everytime!! the recipe is on the back of the Enrg-egg replacer box (or on the side). i usually make three batches at once when i have a lot of bananas very ripe. i never put oil in but use PB in probably a slightly larger amount than the box calls for per recipe. i usually replace some of the flour with either wheat germ, flax seed, or soy flour--but i NEVER use white flour as the remainder--always whole wheat. i probably replace one cup total with these things, but i am not really sure. just depends on what i have or what kind of mood i am in. crazy, i know. if i have raisins, they always go in. it calls for water and juice. i rarely have juice, but if i am using juice it comes from a can of crushed pineapple. i just puree it with the bananas and this is a good amount of liquid for three batches. it freezes well, and for us is easy, cheap, and they all love it!!

lemme know if anyone has any other questions!! and good luck in experimenting!! we are having it for breakfast this a.m.!!

#19 ·
Today Elijah ate...

B: whole wheat toast with melted cheese,vitamin

L: peanut butter crackers,leather,soy milk,cashews

S: apple cereal bar

D: 2 dried pineapple rings,pizza with soy cheese

S: 1 Newmans O cookie, apple and peanut butter,soy milk

About the poor food choices at day care, I explained his dietary restrictions when I started bringing him there a little while ago and I felt confident that they would accomidate him but on the reports they give me at the end of the day,the food he has been eating is junk. And they won't let me bring in food for him to eat. At first they gave him pb sandwiches which was okay with me but I don't know if they are out of pb because the last 2 weeks he's only had bread or a tortilla or crackers all day. Plus juice that gives him a red stain around his mouth,which can't be all natural,all fruit juice. I don't want to be a pain in the a**,but I don't want my son going 6 hours on junky food,even if it is only 2 days a week. I think I will insist on bringing in food for him. Meals are included in the fee so they should provide a healthy vegetarian option. It makes me so mad!

#23 ·
B- half a cinnamon raisin bagel with Soy Garden, chocolate soymilk

S- 2 fruit leathers and a peanut chew

L- peanut butter and jelly on wheat toast, carrot sticks and some potato chips+ water

D- tofu fried rice with broccolli, carrots, onion and peas + a cup of Edensoy Extra

S- smoothie w/ cherries, strawberry, soymilk and maple syrup

Maybe some vegan nachos later!

#25 ·
Today went:

B: Banana, Pear, few bites of Koala Crisps cereal, OJ, vitamin

S: Tofu dog (cold out of the fridge - weird kids!) Vanilla Almond milk - it was the 1st time the kids tried almond milk and they loved it!

L: Steamed brocolli, baked beans, soy nuggets w/ ketchup (again! ah!)

S: Soy cheese quesodillas

D: Falafels, sweet potato oven fries, fresh green beans

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Ok, here's what the kids ate today:

D: Whole wheat spaghetti w/ Daddy's special home-made sauce (loaded with veggies and the BEST spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted!)
Mmmm, Grape Nuts ...are wonderful with very vanilla Silk!

Can we have your secret recipe??? Pretty please??

B: Homemade muffins and silk and juice (and crackers hehe)

L: Morningstar Farms corn dogs (which are not vegan and I want to start making our own out of tofu dogs and freezing them), organic apple sauce squeeze tubes (like go-gurts, but applesauce instead), bananas, juice

D: hmmmmm??? Gotta go to the store first!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.