DHA/Omega supplement for foetus? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Beginner

My wife is three months pregnant. Our clinic recommends that she start taking DHA and Omega supplements for the development of our child's brain.

Unfortunately, the supplement is formulated with concentrated fish oil. It's called NeuroGain PB Vegicaps. The capsule is made from vegetable materials instead of pork and beef. www.neurogain.com

My vegetarian friends and colleagues (some from India) ignored the recommendation. Me and wife would refuse it too. But I think this can be something very important. I'm trying to figure out whether substituting the supplement with a plant-based Omega would actually help the foetus.

Does anyone here faced this dilemma? Does your doctor ask you to take DHA/Omega supplement? How would you do? Which Omega/DHA supplements you take, if any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Beginner

I don't know about a supplement, but aren't those the same things that soy milk and a lot of cereals are often fortified with? You might be able to get away without supplements if she eats a lot of fortified foods
#3 Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Beginner

When I was pregnant, I took flaxseed oil capsules and would put freshly-ground flaxseeds in my food. I still do, actually! Mind you, I thought I saw something about the effects of flax on pregnant women not being fully documented. Still... worked for me. I agree with Limes about the fortified foods, too.
#4 Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Beginner

I know that Deva makes a DHA and EPA supplement, made with algae oil (the DHA/EPA label is important, btw).
#5 Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Beginner

Here's a good list:'
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ga%2Caps%2C288

I've been taking V-Mega, which I got from amazon, but didn't see today! I actually realized I became more focused after taking them, so there's something to it, like going for things and remembering them even after getting distracted on my way!

Algae is a much better source than fish--that's where fish get it from.
#6 Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Beginner

I took Viridian's pregnancy complex when I was pg, to meet this need. Still using it now while bf'ing actually.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Beginner

#8 Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Beginner

As far as omegas go, I know hemp is supposed to be one of the best sources around. I've heard it makes excellent food for infants (and all people for that matter)as well. It contains a ratio of omega 3:6 that's supposed to be superior to that of fish oil. It's a little pricey in America since it's imported, but if it's available and affordable in Maylasia I would look into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page