Packing Your Kid’s Vegan Lunch Without Getting Him Roughed Up - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifest...im-roughed-up/

Quote:
My wife and I realized that simply trying to get our kids to fit in wasnt going to cut it anymore. Our kids, no matter how young, had to understand why we did what we did, and why we were different. We began talking with our kids about the differences between eating animals and eating plants. We began to play games at the grocery store like plant or animal, or all the time/some of the time/hardly ever as we looked at different foods. Our five year old has even go so far as to forego taking the usual toy to show-n-tell, instead taking a coconut to class, starting his presentation with this is just one of the crazy things that we eat in my family. My kids became connoisseurs of all things plant based.
It was then that we departed from packing our kids lunches to look like the many chips, brownies, chocolate milk, and other cancer causing crap that their friends were shoveling down their crusty mouths. We started packing lunches together with our kids, filling their lunchboxes with things like raw veggies, almond butter, bananas, trail mix, and super-juice (juiced kale, apples, carrots, and pears). And a funny thing happened; we began getting calls from other parents asking what we were giving our kids at school, because their kids had tasted it and loved it. Some of them didnt understand that you couldnt find super-juice on isle six at WalMart, but you cant win them all.

Food for thought

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Love it. This is how I am at work and people are always running to the break room asking what weird but tasty thing I'm eating this time. But they always want a taste and always love it. Starting the healthy trend!

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#3 Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Beginner

This article is just too weird for me.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#4 Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

This article is just too weird for me.

You go on 4chan and THIS was weird? You're an interesting fellow

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Beginner

i have a heap of admiration for vegans bringing up vegan kids. watching them have to take **** from other kids at school because they are different, has surely got to be one of the hardest things about being a vegan. it just makes any discrimination ive received as a vegan pale into insignificance.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#6 Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Try to put it into perspective: there are worse types of discrimination. Seeing other kids refuse to play with your kid because of his skin color... That's hard.

Anyway, my theory on school lunches (having grown up veg myself) is to simply provide a balance of healthy foods that the kiddo likes. The areas I will focus on helping him "fit in" are: clothes, hair, sports. But most importantly, I'm trying to make sure he's happy and a good communicator because those things are essential for a strong social life.
#7 Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Beginner

My kids lunch I packed to take to playgroup today:

Grapes
"Cheese" and veganaise sandwich- split in half for for the two of them
wheat crackers and hummus dip
raw broccoli and carrot sticks
soymilk

Nobody even looked at them funny and parents didn't ask me any questions about it.
The only thing weird that happened is that my daughter made a grab for another kids Chicken Mc Nuggets. I probably made the mother feel like crap when I grabbed it out of her hand and said loudly, "No no no- we don't eat these." The mother tried to offer them to my daughter, even after I said that, and I just said, "no thanks, I think the is full' and tried to change the subject. I wanted my kids to have fun and not start a debate about what she was feeding her kids.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#8 Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_it View Post

Love it. This is how I am at work and people are always running to the break room asking what weird but tasty thing I'm eating this time. But they always want a taste and always love it. Starting the healthy trend!

My wife is constantly getting comments on her lunch, usually positive. I hate eating at work so I always go home for lunch, the dogs are usually disappointed with my fare though.
#9 Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Beginner

I respect all parents who raise veg*n children. These kids will grow up with a sense of health and knowing what is going into their bodies. They will have far more stable functionality, strength and vitality than children raised on chicken Mcnuggets and ice cream. Not to mention, raising and feeding children is hard enough. And you're adding whole and loving foods to the mix. Super moms. (and dads...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

The mother tried to offer them to my daughter, even after I said that, and I just said, "no thanks, I think the is full' and tried to change the subject. I wanted my kids to have fun and not start a debate about what she was feeding her kids.

Tough situation. I would be irked about her trying to feed her the chicken, but overall you probably took the best path. People usually hate feeling like their judged but love to argue. Bad combination. I love how you were more concerned with your child's happiness than that of a silly debate.

"Be strong, get beyond all superstitions, and be free." ~Swami Vivekananda

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~MLK jr.

"It takes more distress and poison to kill someone who has peace of mind and loves life." ~ Bernie...

#10 Old 02-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Beginner

healthy lunches. Pffftt.

mace will do the trick.
#11 Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The mother tried to offer them to my daughter, even after I said that, and I just said, "no thanks, I think the is full' and tried to change the subject.

Whoa--THAT would have made me angry! She offered your kid meat even though you had said you didn't eat it?!?
#12 Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliorna View Post

Whoa--THAT would have made me angry! She offered your kid meat even though you had said you didn't eat it?!?

To be fair the other mother might have misconstrued "we don't eat those" as meaning we don't eat other people's food vs we don't eat meat.
#13 Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Beginner

I think the other mom was probably just trying to be nice, not disrupt the child's diet. Little kids always steal other's food. Even if I bring our own food, my kids want what the other kids are eating.
#14 Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Beginner

When children are mature enough to understand why they are brought up vegan, they can handle the situation themselves. They'll not be bogged by peer pressure.

http://www.remedyguru.com
#15 Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:

My kids lunch I packed to take to playgroup today:

Grapes
"Cheese" and veganaise sandwich- split in half for for the two of them
wheat crackers and hummus dip
raw broccoli and carrot sticks
soymilk

Nobody even looked at them funny and parents didn't ask me any questions about it.
The only thing weird that happened is that my daughter made a grab for another kids Chicken Mc Nuggets. I probably made the mother feel like crap when I grabbed it out of her hand and said loudly, "No no no- we don't eat these." The mother tried to offer them to my daughter, even after I said that, and I just said, "no thanks, I think the is full' and tried to change the subject. I wanted my kids to have fun and not start a debate about what she was feeding her kids.

That is hard because many adults will misinterpret something like, "We don't eat these" as, "You suck and are a horrible parent for letting your kid have them." It's great that you are sensitive to that. Many adults aren't like that.
#16 Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Beginner

We live in the redneck center of the universe in which manhood is determined by the points on the buck you shot and the weight of the fish you caught that very day. There isn't a kid in the neighborhood who doesn't have at least one article of clothing that is camouflage. 

Enter, twin fourteen-year olds, one son and one daughter. They have been asked every question in the book and my son was given such a hard time that he got where he would leave his lunch in the locker so he wouldn't have to face the grief of his friends. You can imagine what boy scout campouts are like....

So what do we do? First, I have always been vigilant about letting them decide what to eat when it comes to lunches or eating with peers, like taking a substitute, say veggie burgers to a youth group BBQ. We have always pointed out that every family is different from "the norm" in some way and our difference is our choices related to compassion for animals. Sometimes my son wants to skip a meal and eat at home later, and I respect that choice. He is at an age where he is fighting coming-of-age battles, even though he is bright, funny, athletic and well-liked so I give him ammunition to fight his way through the grief, reward him for his good choices. When they were younger, the rule was...you turn down an animal based food anywhere and I will double the the treat at home...and I have always stuck with that.

As for what to take in lunches, I have a thousand and one suggestions....but as they grew older, I found it easier to take them to the store and let them choose. We would go through the store and I would throw out options. At home, I let them dig though the fridge and the pantry. I have also found that making compromises like the occasional bag of potato chips helps a lot. While I used to sen things like wraps, hummus, sushi, curries, chili, soups, nut butter sandwiches, yogurt parfaits......for my son he wants food that flies under the radar a bit more like sandwiches and chips, oranges and apples, quesadillas, etc.

My compromise is that I health them like crazy for breakfast and dinner, and bend a lot when it comes to lunch or eating with peers.

And when it comes to people offering your child meat or foods with meat by products, we ingrained.....right along with "Thank you," and, "Please," try......."No thanks, I don't care for any." That phrase has saved us time and time again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page