Vegan Pregnancy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2004, 12:55 AM

Never been pregnant, never known any vegetarians/vegans who were pregnant so I don't have any information on it. Someone on a forum I'm on said that they didn't care if people were vegans unless they were pregnant.

However, how many people here have been vegan while pregnant? How old are your kids now? How are they, um this sounds so awkward, you know, health-wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 AM

I have been vegan for 12 years; I have a 5 year old son, who has been vegan since conception, with the exception of a handful of accidents (sipping from another toddler's bottle, attempting to eat a cat's hairball (ewww!), being given hot dogs by a friend's grandmother who didn't speak English--my son assumed they were tofu dogs).

He is in fine health. Recently he has been more picky than usual and also I found out he was hiding his multivitamins under the couch instead of taking them, so I had him checked out for anemia and B12 deficiency. The blood work was all normal.
#3 Old 01-31-2004, 02:43 PM

I went vegan when I found out I was pregnant ( i had been vegetarian for 6 years before that) and all went well for me. My son is now almost 4 and he's a healthy vegan. I wasn't worried about my diet affecting my pregnancy or nursing. Sebastian was 8lbs 14oz when he was born, nursed for 2 1/2 years and has only been sick a few times.

I just read a lot when I was pregnant and found a good website www.vegfamily.com with lots of info and support on vegan pregnancy and children.
#4 Old 02-02-2004, 04:13 PM

I'm thinking about getting pregnant within the next year. I want to raise the kid veggie, perhaps strict, to avoid meat and dairy. We eat strict veg at home, and only have cheese when we go out to eat sometimes. I just don't want to feed my kid any of that tained animal stuff.

I know I'll get hell about it from my family, but hey, it ain't their kid.
#5 Old 02-03-2004, 02:20 AM

I was omni during my first pregnancy and our family went veg*n (some vegetarian, some vegan) shortly afterward. We tested our daughter for iron several times and finally realized we didn't need to worry. My second pregnancy was vegan, and both kids are vegan (now 6 and 2 1/2). No health problems whatsoever. We eat very few processed foods, a wide variety of fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, tofu and soymilk, beans and lentils, etc. That said, there are a variety of commercial soymilks and meat analogs that we *would* buy if we could, but they don't sell them where we are, so you don't have to be a purist and eat a 100% homemade diet. Visit www.vegetarianbaby.com for more info, too.
#6 Old 02-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Banned

My wife went back to omni durring her pregnant periods. Then our children are being raised, omni-freechoice. My wife went omni because there is noeveidence that there can be problems if omni and some evidence that their is a higher chance as a veg. This was her choice and I supported her in this all the way through breastfeeding, so for 19 months a child she goes omni. As for the rasing of our children and their diets. Sophia was three yesterday, and her favorite meal is

Blue berries, banna and noodels "with just a little butter daddy". Favorite breakfeast is Pancakes, yougert with berries and bacon. She has huge space for tomatoes as well...she about ate our whole garden last year right off the vine...

"look Dad, I am eating the tomatoes in my garden"

Ansel our son who will be 1 in a few weeks is a clasic omni in preferance. Each child is unique, and I am happy with our decision to let them eaat what their bodys tell them they like and need. they have thier whole lives to decied about what their ultimate choice will be on diet.
#7 Old 02-03-2004, 09:26 AM

Those who want to or plan to get pregnant should look into folic acid.

Make sure you get enough, and not too much other vitamins.

Be carefull with multi vitamins and pregancy.
#8 Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM

My Vegan Raw girls are one and two now and are bright bubble, very intellegent girls. They hardly ever get colds and when they get scraps and bruises they heal very quickly.

There is so much miss information out there, as long as you have a balanced diet there is nothing to conern yourself about marmalade
#9 Old 03-12-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post

My wife went back to omni durring her pregnant periods. Then our children are being raised, omni-freechoice. My wife went omni because there is noeveidence that there can be problems if omni and some evidence that their is a higher chance as a veg. This was her choice and I supported her in this all the way through breastfeeding, so for 19 months a child she goes omni. As for the rasing of our children and their diets. Sophia was three yesterday, and her favorite meal is

Blue berries, banna and noodels "with just a little butter daddy". Favorite breakfeast is Pancakes, yougert with berries and bacon. She has huge space for tomatoes as well...she about ate our whole garden last year right off the vine...

"look Dad, I am eating the tomatoes in my garden"

Ansel our son who will be 1 in a few weeks is a clasic omni in preferance. Each child is unique, and I am happy with our decision to let them eaat what their bodys tell them they like and need. they have thier whole lives to decied about what their ultimate choice will be on diet.

there is no evidence that an appropriate veg*n diet is harmful to mother or child. an omni diet CAN definitely not supply all of what is needed for mother and child IF not appropriately planned. and in fact, i am betting that a veg*n diet would be superior in many ways. not looking to debate , just my opinion!!
#10 Old 07-20-2004, 10:07 AM

hello,

I am writing a magazine article on vegetarian pregnancy and am looking for a couple of women to talk to and include in the article. If you are interested, please write me at jacqueline702@aol.com. thanks!
#11 Old 07-24-2004, 07:50 AM

My wife and I were vegan for her entire pregnancy. Our baby boy is 7 months old, and a healthy 23+lbs. He is hitting his "milestones" ahead of his age, and we plan to raise him Vegan until he can make up his own choices.

Our son is one of the healthiest happiest social and inquisitive babies I have met.... but that may be parental bias.
#12 Old 07-24-2004, 08:22 AM

I am not pregnant and do not have kids yet, but I do plan to remain vegan when I am pregnant. My husband is omni, but we've decided to raise our child as a vegetarian (not vegan). My reasoning is simply, that I don't want my child to feel SO restricted they are the weird kid at birthday parties, can't eat school lunches etc. Mostly I am concerned that too much restriction young will make them backlash against vegetarianism all together. When they get older, they will be allowed to make their own decision. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle as I don't feel comfortable completely restricting their diet, but at the same time this "whatever their bodies tell them" argument sound like a bit of a crock to me. I remember when I was 5, my body clearly told me on a number of occasions that it wanted anything sugary and artificial and blue colored. Same with pregnancy. Your body can "tell you" a lot of crazy stuff.

Also, in regards to the possibility of something going wrong in vegan pregnancy but not with omni. This kinda stuff seems to be an across the board paranoia with pregnancy in general. People are the same way with the old midwife vs. hospital argument. "Well, the chances are slim but what if something happened during birth and if we were at a hospital it would be better etc." People freak themselves out so much about the "what ifs" when the facts clearly show that there is just as high if not higher likliehood that something can go wrong at a hospital. No basis in fact for this worry. Same with the diet. "I am going omni in the off chance that something goes wrong with the baby and I'm vegan. I could never forgive myself." Well, why? Because it is a fact that it is no less safe. If something goes wrong, it goes wrong regardless. Not because of factors that are clearly equal in risk.

Jeez, that was a mouthful. I've been thinkin about this for a while.

XOXO

Beth
#13 Old 08-01-2004, 09:21 PM

I've been reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" (Gaskin). She lives and works (as a midwife) in a village called 'The Farm', which is basically the remnants of a hippie commune. She has collaborated with doctors on a few occasions to publish statistics from the birth center there. One such study showed the very low rate of preeclampsia that they had (0.1%). They felt that it was due largely to diet.

"Women from our community eat high-protein vegetarian diets (with protein sources such as soybean products, various varieties of dried beans and nuts) that also include plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and water as the main beverage. We midwives do not restrict women's use of salt during pregnancy. Women in our care salt their food as much as tastes good to them."

The article, if anyone is curious: Carter, J.P., et al. Preeclampsia and reproductive performance in a community of vegans. Southern Medical Journal, 1980; 80(6): 692-97.

This obviously doesn't say anything about how the children turned out, but I thought it was interesting (and I just read it today, so it was stuck in my head LOL). Preeclampsia is much higher (like 20%, I think) in the general population.
#14 Old 08-14-2004, 12:33 AM

This was an interesting forum. I'm planning to have another child, but since I'm nearly vegan you do get a little worried. When I had my first child I was an omnivore. My son is now 8 yrs old. He only eat veg*n food at home. But when I do have my second child I want to raise it as vegetarian or vegan. Can someone recommend any literature on the subject? I want to be well prepaired in order to have a healthy pregnancy and child.
#15 Old 08-14-2004, 01:50 AM

"Raising Vegetarian Children" By the great Joanne Stepaniak (written with a Doctor)

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 08-16-2004, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicVegan View Post

"Raising Vegetarian Children" By the great Joanne Stepaniak (written with a Doctor)

okay, i'll see if I can get hold of that one in sweden. sounds interesting though. thanks for your help. do you have children of your own and if so did you raise them as vegetarian?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page