Finger food ideas for a young child's vegan birthday party? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Beginner

I need some quick and easy, yet yummy and interesting vegan finger food ideas. We are going without utensils so there is no worry of young kids running around with forks and knives. I need to satisfy a bunch of meat eating relatives, some vegans and a group of three year olds. The party is at lunch time so I don't feel pressured to offer a big meal but I don't want to just put out fruit, veggies and hummus either. I'd also prefer not to go the fake meat and cheese route.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Beginner

Annie's makes some vegan chocolate bunny crackers as well as vegan gummy candies. My son loves them.

Maybe cut up some pineapple, grapes or other easy and sweet fruits?

Ol' tortilla chips with any different types of salsas.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Beginner

Pretzel sticks, pigs-in-a-blanket (if you don't want to do the faux veggie dogs in them, you could try carrots or other veggie), mini muffins or cupcakes, homemade baked crackers, kale chips (if you like them)...

I'd bake a bunch of mini-muffins with veggies (like zuchinni bread) or banana nut muffins -- but I love baking so that may not be for you!

Good luck

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#4 Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Beginner

You could do finger sandwiches cut into little shapes with cookie cutters. You could do spiral sandwiches with refried beans and avocado.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#5 Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Beginner

It's easy to make vegan Chex Mix too. Just follow the recipe on the Chex Mix boxes, subbing in Earth Balance for butter, and vegan worcestershire (I think once I even just threw in A1 instead) for regular worcestershire... I can't recall if there are any other substitutions necessary. Maybe just check the pretzels don't have milk. I've come across a few varieties that do, but most don't!
#6 Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Beginner

personally, i can live on dips.

the other day, our dinner was hummus, babaganouj, olive tapanade, and tomato/bruschette. i made polenta and then grilled it; roasted some potatos to dip, and also had fresh bell pepper, carrot, cucumber, some steamed broccoli and cauliflower. we finished up with some fresh citrus fruit and some almond-stuffed dates rolled in coconut. very good! ;D

seriously, if you have enough stuff, you won't need a "meal." or it is a meal.

mexican style: black bean dip, 2-3 salsas, guacamole, and thick mole dip (mole sauce plus tofu in blender--be sure to let it sit overnight and then heat it in microwave or double boiler) with tortilla chips, veg, etc.
#7 Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Beginner

dates and walnuts (or any nut) in the food processor. Form them into little bars or balls. You can add cinnamon to them or roll them in shredded coconut. Also, if you have a dehydrator..fruit leather is always a hit. It's just strawberries (or any fruit) blended up and spread on the tray.
#8 Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 AM
Beginner

A caterer for a little kids birthday party? If you can afford it and your guests won't feel awkward, I suppose it's ok, but it's a little odd.

Some ideas:
I like the mini sandwiches idea where you cut them into fun shapes - you can do Pb&j, veggie deli slices, "cheese", etc
Mini pizzas (on crackers or English muffins)
Granola bars or "healthy" cookies
Celery w/Pb&j and raisins (something familiar)
Mini muffins and cupcakes
Bean toquitos & nachos
""chicken" nuggets or seitan strips
Veggie sushi
Falafel balls
French Fries, potato chips, potato skins, etc
#9 Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Beginner

Some more ideas...
Guacamole, minus the cilantro coz its not a kid favourite, with tortilla chips and bread sticks
Mini pittas stuffed with hummus, salad and maybe mini falafels
Cheezy Quackers (http://havecakewilltravel.com/2007/0...eezy-quackers/) are sure to be a hit!
Brownie bites
Fun fruit (strawberries, kiwi, grape, melon, mango, blueberries, etc.)
Rice crispie treats made with vegan marshmallows
Silver dollar pancakes
Homemade chocolate-peanut butter cups
Cupcakes (of course!)
Mini empanadas

Hope these help
#10 Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Beginner

Mini sandwiches are good (and have been pointed out) - pb&j, avocado, that sort of thing.

I dunno that stuff like pretzels and grapes are good for three year olds who are running around...? I dunno, I haven't been around kids that age for a while. I guess they're old enough to know to chew, so it's probably ok.
#11 Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Around here we do a lot of finger foods. Some of Julian's vegan favorites are:

Peanut butter on crackers
Chick'n nuggets
french fries
sliced or diced fruit (apples and melons are a big favorite)
quesadillas (made with refried beans, diced tomatoes, and tofutti sour cream substitute)
agave nectar and tofutti cream cheese sandwiches
just plain steamed veggies (sometimes with a little olive oil and sea salt)

I hope those ideas help out!
#12 Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Beginner

taco bar. it's super fun. it also deals with the problem of picky eaters because they don't have to put the things they don't like in their taco.
#13 Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Taco bar is a cool idea! I also second falafel, and not just because it's my favorite thing on the planet. Falafel is really satisfying for omni's too and they might not even realize that it isn't meat.
#14 Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Beginner

if you don't want the kids walking around with tacos that spill, though, you can set up and empanada bar and let the kids choose the fillings for their own empanadas . . . they sell discos in the frozen food section, and you can bake empanadas instead of frying them if you want something healthier.
#15 Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Beginner

Great ideas here already, I third (?) the finger sandwich idea. I did that for my daughter's 5th birthday, a party for about 10 of her friends. We had cucumber/cream cheese, chickpea "tuna", jam pennies and some others. The jam pennies (circle cutouts) were a big hit, although maybe not the most nutritious of the lot. Lots of variations you could do, there are some pretty fancy breads out there.
#16 Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Beginner

Small vegan calzones! You could make the dough ahead of time and have the kids make their own by choosing the fillings and folding them over. Then just have some sauce for dipping.
#17 Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Beginner

It is important to understand the birthday party atmosphere. For children, it represents a time of wild interaction where kids come together playing games, interacting and actively celebrating the individual who is aging. In addition to the advantages that are offered in meeting the style of food with the atmosphere style, an additional benefit of utilizing finger food catering is found with the affordability that is offered in pricing and the quality of the food.
#18 Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Beginner

For everyone birthday comes only once in life. It is essential to make it memorable. Especially kids love to celebrate their birthday. Try to implement some innovative ideas and make the party special. Prepare the food such that the kids will enjoy eating.
#19 Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Beginner

For more junk food type things, oven fries and fried pickles (also could be baked.

Slices of pinapple, melon, etc also are easy and go over well. Most things have already been suggested
#20 Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Beginner

just see whether you can try these options...or i think you can hire a caterer for your occasion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page