'Invisible' or Audio-Only Pop-Ups? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Beginner

My daughter's computer seems to be getting some weird pop-ups that are audio-only... She'll be online and suddenly hear an ad for American Express or Holland-America Cruises or other well-known products. Like on the radio or whatever... No popups show on the screen.

No way to make it disappear, nothing to click on, just an ad jabbering away...

So is there such a thing as an "invisible" pop-up? Are these a new form of pop-up ads? Or some other audio glitch?

She gets it in BOTH Firefox and IE, and it doesn't seem to be related to any website she may be on.

She has run every virus scan and has up-to-date AdAware and AVG both running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Beginner

I know a lot of sites are embedding audio advertising lately... not a pop up, not a file on your computer, but audio that comes on automatically when you open a page. Like when people in the early days of Web 1.0 with their homemade sites would have horrid midi files playing on their site... this is just a more sophisticated version of the same thing...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Not sure if it is exactly equivalent on a PC, but Safari (apple application) is quite good at stopping pop-up windows, and knowing when you actually mean for the new window to open. If you can't figure it out, I would suggest trying safari and turning on the pop-up blocker.

Will the ad stop playing if the window is closed? It could be an add hidden and embedded inthe page itself (similar to myspace, but invisible)
#4 Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Beginner

I've noticed on a number of sites that the flash objects sometimes have embedded sound (that don't always play, and don't always play as soon as the page loads). I've only noticed a few of them when I searched the page and found 'mute' on one of the many flash items.
#5 Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Shut down AOL Instant Messenger (AIM).
#6 Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Beginner

Interesting. We're trying some of these things bit by bit... they happen so randomly that it's hard to pinpoint a specific site or know if something's working...

The "ad" or whatever it is, sometimes starts when she's on a page that shouldn't HAVE ads... (like Google) which makes me think it's possibly adware on the system that we haven't caught yet...

AdBlock plus is fine for FireFox (may have stopped them, I don't know for sure...) but doesn't help IE. She has to use IE for some files/classes at school.
#7 Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Google was I thought experimenting with ads like that..... but normally no you shouldn't hear them with that.

Chances are it's something else that's running -- either with an IM program, or adware (which for a legit company to be on makes me wonder though...).
#8 Old 04-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Chances are it's something else that's running -- either with an IM program, or adware (which for a legit company to be on makes me wonder though...).

Yeah, that was why I mentioned it, the ads are for genuine, "respectable" companies. It's almost like radio interference... with no radio...
#9 Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Beginner

My cousin once had a computer where the speakers somehow actually played some radio station from time to time. F**ked if I know how, but it was weird. We usually just hit the speakers until they shut up.
#10 Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Beginner

I know this isn't what you wanna hear, but either put on a fresh install of the OS, or get a Macintosh much less problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page