Trying career paths for CS major - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 PM

I'm currently a CS major with about 3 more semester before I graduate. I'm 24, and have actually been working in my field since I got out of high school, so I have a fair amount of real world experience as well. I've spent the last 6 years working for a local company, and I really enjoy the people and the atmosphere. However, I've found that I get a great deal of satisfaction out of doing work that supports my own ethics. It's been made clear to me that I'll have secure position when I graduate, and since I still intend on working there but would like to branch out some, I might look to work two part time jobs or perhaps just volunteer some. My work is virtually all programming, and it's something that I really enjoy. So that brings me to my questions. How would I go about looking for a job for some sort of ethically-focused business? Is there some sort of central job posting for that sort of thing, or would it be a matter of me just compiling a giant list of places that look interesting and seeing if they're hiring? Do you or anyone you know work for an ethically-focused business doing computer work? Since it's not just the type of work, but the type of business, I'm not sure where the best place to look for postings is. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM

After graduating with a BA in CS I went to work at a homeless shelter. I currently work as a database programmer for homeless shelters in my state. I would say it qualifies as an ethically-focused job. Probablem with going with social service companies is the pay is low. That hasn't been a problem for me because I don't have large financial needs.
#3 Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 PM

Depending on how you consider "ethically-focused", it could be easy or difficult. If you're wanting a job at an organization for world-based improvement, you'll be more likely to find a job by visiting their website directly. If you just want a company that tries to promote well being for all people and the environment, you could search on any job-related website.

Organizations would most likely pay less than a corporation (although both are corporations, one's just nonprofit). The more a company relies on donations to operate, the less the pay would likely be. So it all depends on what you want.

Of course there are actual corporations that are ethical -- promoting well being for all people, less use of the environment, recycling and other green activities, as well as giving back to the community in money and programs; all while being truthful and offering things without catches (i.e. free stuff without advertising, or without a paid membership to receive the "free" stuff). But they are most likely harder to find, and if you do, probably not hiring.

I know, I'm the president of such a company.

#4 Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Here's a site that has many ethical / green type jobs:

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/jobs/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page