VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New computer, maybe

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SpunkyChild 
#1 ·
Well, this computer is pretty much crapped out. If you were going to get any (relatively cheap) new computer, what would you get?

I'm kinda headed towards an ibook because I'm sick of PCs. I've had them my whole life and ever since Windows became the standard, I've had such bad luck with 'em. (DOS! Woo!). Mine always crash and have security flaws. Asfor Macs, I can get an ibook w. upgraded to 512 MB memory for under 1000...good?

My dad says I should go for this cheap little Dell, but ehhh...

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rij73 View Post

I'm still happy with my 2-year-old Dell Inspiron 2650, and I'm a computer geek. As long as I keep it really well-maintained, it gives me no problems.

I didn't know you could get an ibook so cheap, though. That might be enough to make me switch!
2 Year Old PC is good for the next 10 years for me. No need to get the latest and greatest. By the way since you are a computer geek, how about learning Linux ? Helps you get the most out of your PC. Or if you already know it, how about trying Gentoo Linux at www.gentoo.org ? It helps you to build your own OS the way you want it. This is a great frugal free exercise and good learning also.

Best Regards,

Vijay

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyChild View Post

I know that post wasn't at me, but it brings up a great point...maybe I could get a Linux-OS computer. Or at least make one that way.
Making an exisiting PC into a Linux PC is easier. Once you learn Linux it is a great Tool to have under your belt as it is all free and in several instances better than Windows.

With Linux, even a 100 MHz PC is suffice for me.

Vijay

#8 ·
Spunky..what do you want to do with your computer? It sounds like kind of a silly question, but really what you buy should depend on what you need it for.

#9 ·
Yeah, it's true. Well, my fiance has the power computer for all his video games...PC, mega video card, upgraded memory. I never play video games on my comp (mostly because it's so outdated, but also because I just steal Erik's!). I just want something for e-mail, IM, general office functions, music, media...which is why I'm thinking ibook.

#10 ·
Do you live anywhere near an Apple Store? If so, go down there and play with the machines a bit. Try to think of stuff you'd normally do, and see what it's like on the iBook.

However if you go the Linux machine route, you might be able to find a good deal on a refurbished machine. With lower system requirements, you could probably save quite a bit of money on something that's a little older.

#11 ·
You can also get some good deals on eBay...just be sure to pick a reputable seller. At the Apple Ed store, you can get 2 iBooks for under 1000 bucks. The one that is $999 has pretty much all the bells and whistles, including a superdrive (CD/DVD/RW). It has a pretty small hard drive (30 GB), but that would be sufficient for most folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.