stop my email address from being "spoofed"! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Beginner

ugh, i am getting so tired of this and want to know how to make it stop. it seems that one of my email addresses has been "spoofed", so that people getting SPAM and emails with viruses in them think that i'm sending them. 99% of the people who write me (or who's email programs auto-reply with some kind of "your email contains a virus and is therefore undeliverable" message) i've never even heard of before, and the 1% of people who are familliar with me/my email address are pissed off and insist i "run a virus check" so that i will stop sending them these emails.

i religiously run my norton anti-virus once a week, and liveupdate the virus definitions every time i do this, so i know my machine is clean, it can't be me doing it. is there anyway to stop this from happening? or to prove somehow that it is someone else pretending to be me?

thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Beginner

A lot of worms just collect email addresses from the computers they are on. Emails in address books, to:, from: and cc: fields, and even documents. Your address was on someone else's machine that was infected, most likely.

This is one reason to use the bcc: field when emailing large groups of people.
#3 Old 09-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Beginner

so there's no cure?
#4 Old 09-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Beginner

Do you need to install any critical updates from Windows?
#5 Old 09-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned

This is the message I got from a web site hosting company, when I mentioned the problem to them (I didn't know what it was called; they named it for me). Whether their facts are accurate and their opinions good, I don't know; i'm just repeating what they said.

Quote:
I am sorry to know that someone is 'spoofing' your email addresses.

Spoofing is generally used by spammers as a first defense against people

finding out who they are. It's also used by general malcontents to

practice mischievous and malicious behavior.

Please note that when it comes to spoofing, we will be of hardly any

help. To understand spoofing better, you can visit the following link:

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/email_spoofing.html

For investigation of this sort of spoofing activity you can contact the

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The details regarding that can be

found in the link: http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/FBI_in...tes_crime.html

#6 Old 09-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Do you need to install any critical updates from Windows?

maybe? i just did it two weeks ago. does this really have something to do with my email address being spoofed?
#7 Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

This is the message I got from a web site hosting company, when I mentioned the problem to them (I didn't know what it was called; they named it for me). Whether their facts are accurate and their opinions good, I don't know; i'm just repeating what they said.

okay, thanks, soilman. i'll read through that stuff.
#8 Old 09-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Beginner

I don't know. It's a stab in the dark. Maybe email addresses are stored somewhere besides the provider's server. Maybe your email address was sold to a hacker? I'm pulling at staws..
#9 Old 09-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Beginner

I just went to Microsoft and did a search on Email Spoofing. Came back with Identity spoofing. Sounds like possibly the same thing that's happening to you. Maybe there's a whole that a hacker found and an update contains a patch? It's worth a shot.
#10 Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about it other than change your email address, and be religious about making certain your email address never appears on usenet or the web in a form that it can be harvested. (For example, kirkNONSPAM@nowhere.net might work.) If you really want to track these people down, you can have the recipients forward the mail WITH THE FULL HEADERS, and complain to the isp of origin.
#11 Old 09-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Have you scanned for spyware to make sure a program isn't using your computer to send email without your knowledge? It happens.

http://www.safer-networking.org/
#12 Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

99% of the people who write me (or who's email programs auto-reply with some kind of "your email contains a virus and is therefore undeliverable" message) i've never even heard of before, and the 1% of people who are familliar with me/my email address are pissed off and insist i "run a virus check" so that i will stop sending them these emails.

thanks in advance for any help/advice.

While you can do all the things that the other people in this thread have suggested, what you need to understand is that it is the people who are blaming you for the problem who are mistaken or at fault. You might write up a "form letter" e-mail about this to send out to them, but basically they're the ones who need to change their false assumptions and beliefs.
#13 Old 09-28-2004, 04:33 AM
Beginner

I was just thinking..it's possible that someone you know has your address in their address book and they have a virus that's causing emails to be sent out in everyones name from their address book.
#14 Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

I was just thinking..it's possible that someone you know has your address in their address book and they have a virus that's causing emails to be sent out in everyones name from their address book.

Yeah, that can certainly be the case. Some of the more recent viruses out there are nasty.
#15 Old 09-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Beginner

I have an email address for personal use and another that I give to businesses. I check both, but I have it divided this way so that the "spam" emails go to the one I don't check as often. Inevitably, my personal-use email shows up on spammers' radar, so I change my email address and start over. It does slow the spammers down, though. I've been using the current personal email for about four years now. Within a year, I think I'll find it necessary to change, but this is longer than I made it when I only had one email for everything.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 09-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I have an email address for personal use and another that I give to businesses. I check both, but I have it divided this way so that the "spam" emails go to the one I don't check as often. Inevitably, my personal-use email shows up on spammers' radar, so I change my email address and start over. It does slow the spammers down, though. I've been using the current personal email for about four years now. Within a year, I think I'll find it necessary to change, but this is longer than I made it when I only had one email for everything.

You should try disposable email addresses. I absolutely love Yahoo's "Address Guard" feature. I almost never give anyone my real email address, instead I have special temporary addresses for everything and everyone and I give those out and then emails sent to them get forwarded to me. My email address for veggieboards is me-veggieboards@yahoo.com. My email address for ebay is me-ebay@yahoo.com, etc. That way if I start getting spam, I know exactly where it's coming from, and if I need to I can delete or change that temporary account. There are some places on the web that offer the same or similar services such as www.mailexpire.com, but I find that I like Yahoo's set up the best because I can color code them and add filters, but it's not free. Search for "disposable email addresses" or "temporary email addresses" and you'll find lots of options.
#17 Old 09-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Banned

There is also spam gourmet.

http://www.spamgourmet.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page